Multiplayer in same house

Gourmand

New to multiplayer - trying to setup a private server with someone that's in the same household with two separate PC's using same router. Keep getting one player to work but not other.  Probably something simple, but I have watched many tutorial videos and cant seem to find a solution. I have several missions in saved games folder and tried all. No luck

New to multiplayer - trying to setup a private server with someone that's in the same household with two separate PC's using same router. Keep getting one player to work but not other.  Probably something simple, but I have watched many tutorial videos and cant seem to find a solution. I have several missions in saved games folder and tried all. No luck
Connect by internal IP. If you use the external through the DCS "browser" it will depend on how you have setup your routing, DNS loop back etc. Tell us more about your setup if the internal IP still doesn't work.
Cheers!

Sent from my SM-A536B using Tapatalk

And, most important, you have to use two different account, one for each computer, and have license (module) for that on both account if you plan to use it.

FlighRIG => CPU: RyZen 5900x | RAM: 64GB Corsair 3000Mhz | GPU: nVIDIA RTX 4090 FE | OS Storage: SSD NVMe Samsung 850 Pro 512GB, DCS Storage: SSD NVMe Sabrent 1TB | Device: Multipurpose-UFC, VirPil T-50, TM WARTHOG Throttle, TrackHat, MFD Cougar with screen.

Our Servers => [ITA] Banshee | Krasnodar - PvE | PersianConquest PvE Live Map&Stats | Syria Liberation PvE Conquest

Support us on twitch subscribing with amazon prime account linked, it's free!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I want to run two clients in Multiplayer within my Local Area Network (LAN), 192.168.0.113 and 192.168.0.118.  

I have two PC's each with DCS installed, with their own DCS account.  The two PC's can ping each other on the LAN.  Let's call them PC1 and PC2.

Each has their own paid copy of Nevada Map and UH-1H Huey module that work in single player under their own accounts.

Can one of the PCs with DCS act as a server in Multiplayer so that the other can join?  It worked in Version 2.7.  But I haven't tried it for more than a year and I've forgotten exactly how I did it before.  Now I have upgraded to latest version of 2.9 Open Beta ...because the DCS website says Open Beta 2.9 is best for Multiplayer.

When I open Multiplayer on PC1, I choose New Server, create a server and password, uncheck the box for Public server...and then it won't let me change the IP address.  It doesn't let me change the IP address no matter what I select.  If I accept the public IP address that's already in there and launch a server with the Public box not checked, it seems to work.  I can occupy a seat in the UH-1H from PC1.  But PC2 cannot find the server.

What am I doing wrong?  I can't seem to find instructions on how to use Multiplayer within a LAN.

Thank you!  I will try that.  But I figured out perhaps the likely problem, I have two different versions installed.  Latest Beta on one PC and Latest Stable on the other.  I bet that will not work, right?  If so, one or the other must notice the version mismatch and just says something like 'Failed to connect'.  Maybe it should say "Failed to connect to server -- program version mismatch."  That would be very helpful.

Apparently, I should upgrade the latest stable to the latest beta.  But there's another problem.  Rather than offer to convert the installation to either Beta or Stable, it only seems to offer to create a parallel installation...but at around 300+ GB, I can't fit two installations on a 1 TB SSD with the OS and a few other large programs!  On the other PC is the Beta version.  With the full set of Terrains and 90% of the Modules, plus 25 GB of skins and mods, it's a 550 GB installation of DCS!!  No way that can fit twice on a 1 TB SSD, even without the OS.  They're going to have to allow the option of placing Terrains on a 2nd HD, since they are the biggest and can't be used simultaneously anyway.  I'd imagine the Kola map will be around 70 GB and a proper Vietnam map probably another 70+ GB.

I saw a recent post by one of the Forum moderators that the plan is to go to an all-stable release system and (I think) a closed beta.  Open beta was meant for some users to be able to participate in the testing, but apparently a great many of the servers all went to the beta updates path, leaving few servers for the stable users.

it goes without saying you need exactly the same version eg openbeta or release version AND the same build number for the version for it to work

Edited by HC_Official
  • Like 2

No more pre-orders

Click here for tutorials for using Virpil Hardware and Software

Click here for Virpil Flight equipment dimensions and pictures.

Thank you, guys!!  I ended up moving videos from the SSD of the "stable release" PC, clearing enough room for a parallel install of Open Beta, and it offered to import the modules and maps...which duplicates them on the SSD.  I can delete the Stable version later.  Then it worked.  And it worked quite well!  Both players using VR!  All except for voice (intercom/VOIP) between the two players.  Each has a USB headset.  Both microphones test good in Windows.  PC2 player can hear their own voice through the mic.  PC1 player cannot hear self.  Neither can hear each other but all other sounds in game are heard just fine...including a radio transmitter on a vehicle playing a 30-min-long, repeating ".ogg" music file to give a homing signal for the Huey's ADF.  Both players can hear the music, located on the "acting server" PC 1.

I'll work on getting some screen shots of the steps it takes to make this "Multiplayer-in-same-house" work and post it here later for anyone else that wonders how to do it...including that the versions of all DCS installations on participating PCs on the LAN must be identical, as well as same module to be flown and same map...and any other mods involved in the mission to be used.

Edited by Andrew8604
add info
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Andrew8604 said:

...installations on participating PCs on the LAN must be identical, as well as same module to be flown and same map...and any other mods involved in the mission to be used.

Is not correct this sentence, if we're talking about official module, there is no needing to have them owned (buy license) and installed on all pc.
It's just the case for the map, and eventually mod if you want use them, not official module. It's not required to have them to join server

FlighRIG => CPU: RyZen 5900x | RAM: 64GB Corsair 3000Mhz | GPU: nVIDIA RTX 4090 FE | OS Storage: SSD NVMe Samsung 850 Pro 512GB, DCS Storage: SSD NVMe Sabrent 1TB | Device: Multipurpose-UFC, VirPil T-50, TM WARTHOG Throttle, TrackHat, MFD Cougar with screen.

Our Servers => [ITA] Banshee | Krasnodar - PvE | PersianConquest PvE Live Map&Stats | Syria Liberation PvE Conquest

Support us on twitch subscribing with amazon prime account linked, it's free!