Ability to change JTAC laser codes in mission.

Biggus

6 hours ago, Biggus said:

A radio menu dialog option to ask an AI JTAC to change their laser code would be very helpful for those modules where we cannot change the code of our bombs in the air.

Shouldn't this actually be the only option, as far as I know, changing codes in the air is hardly realistic? 

Cheers! 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, MAXsenna said:

Shouldn't this actually be the only option, as far as I know, changing codes in the air is hardly realistic? 

I believe OP requests that the JTAC switch their code on request from the air. I have no experience with real-world laser designators. Can they be field-changed to new designator codes? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cfrag said:

I believe OP requests that the JTAC switch their code on request from the air. I have no experience with real-world laser designators. Can they be field-changed to new designator codes?

Yes. Bombs generally can't — it's something dialled in on the ground. DCS has had this backwards since the dawn of time.

• Like 5

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

• 4 weeks later...
Am 20.11.2023 um 18:23 schrieb cfrag:

Can they be field-changed to new designator codes?

That's exactly how they operate in real life. Most GBU have a set of dials on the bomb, that are used to adjust the laser code by the ground crew. It cannot be changed in the air. That's also the reason, why most aircraft can deliver LGBs as a bomb truck, simply drop the bomb and let the JTAC lase.

The pilot will tell the JTAC the bombs laser code. JTAC sets the code on his designator (it's actually implemented this way in Combined Arms, where a human JTAC has the option to adjust the laser code.

The AI JTAC is currently limited to the default laser code of 1688.

In some SP missions/campaigns, the mission creators go through a lot of scripting to basically build their own JTAC...

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)