New Varjo XR4 released......

Fish

4 hours ago, freehand said:

mm never owned an index interesting you still like it ? 

I know, right. I have purchased 2 Value Index. The first one I used for 3 years, gave it to my son and bought a new one a few months ago.

In my humble opinion (for me) its the absolute best system in its price range. Every other system I purchased to replace the Index, I sold within weeks of owning them.
It has the very best sound system of all of them, very light, largest FOV, largest sweet spot, with a per eye res of 2500 X 2500, which is more than livable for me.

It does need satellites that everyone else are getting away from, but the accessory package to put duel fans in the face makes this headset something I can wear for 8 hour sessions.

And no, I didn't get them (or any other headset) for free. I bought all of them. But there are those who desire higher res even if its just 30% of the available view and those that love their Pimax, which has awesome res. 

And none of those headsets are anywhere close to competition with the Varjo. They even added some counter balance weight in the rear. The only issue I have right now is finding a fan control. It has a built in cooling fan that is defaulted to low and after about 4 hours you get warning of possible shutdown due to heat. It hasn't done that yet and I have used it 2 hours after the warning. And it doesn't heat up your face like the Pimax does. 

Thus far the Varjo is the best I have used of all of them. Is it worth 4K? Given the Index is $1400 and the Varjo is more than double the resolution, I am actually surprised they can provide that tech for that much. But I'm just an idiot for flight sims. I think they know this. lol  

Edited by Condor060
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Condor060 said:

I know, right. I have purchased 2 Value Index. The first one I used for 3 years, gave it to my son and bought a new one a few months ago.

In my humble opinion (for me) its the absolute best system in its price range. Every other system I purchased to replace the Index, I sold within weeks of owning them.
It has the very best sound system of all of them, very light, largest FOV, largest sweet spot, with a per eye res of 2500 X 2500, which is more than livable for me.

It does need satellites that everyone else are getting away from, but the accessory package to put duel fans in the face makes this headset something I can wear for 8 hour sessions.

And no, I didn't get them (or any other headset) for free. I bought all of them. But there are those who desire higher res even if its just 30% of the available view and those that love their Pimax, which has awesome res. 

And none of those headsets are anywhere close to competition with the Varjo. They even added some counter balance weight in the rear. The only issue I have right now is finding a fan control. It has a built in cooling fan that is defaulted to low and after about 4 hours you get warning of possible shutdown due to heat. It hasn't done that yet and I have used it 2 hours after the warning. And it doesn't heat up your face like the Pimax does. 

Thus far the Varjo is the best I have used of all of them. Is it worth 4K? Given the Index is $1400 and the Varjo is more than double the resolution, I am actually surprised they can provide that tech for that much. But I'm just an idiot for flight sims. I think they know this. lol  

Cheers nice one I may pick one up in my travels.

5 hours ago, Condor060 said:

Did I miss something? You are talking about the Valve Index, right?

The Valve Index has a 1440 × 1600 Pixel resolution per eye. The Valve Index is light years back right now, looking at the resolution and the lenses. The glare is the worst I've ever seen. The sweet spot is tiny, compared with any "new" VR-HS. How can one tell that old stuff could in any way compare with any new VR-headset? If one is not an absolute FOV nerd (and even then there a much better VR-HS out there, and cheaper), there is absolutely no reason to go for an Index these days anymore.

But I may misunderstand you. 😇

My Pimax Crystal never heats up my face. It's cooler than my Quest 3. 🤔

But congrats to your Varjo X4. 🤩

Edited by Nedum

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7950X3D, System-RAM: 64 GB DDR5, GPU: nVidia 4090, Monitor: LG 38" 3840*1600, VR-HMD: Pimax Crystal, OS: Windows 11Pro, 2*2TB Samsung M.2 SSD, HOTAS: TM Warthog, Paddles: MfG.

14 hours ago, Nedum said:

Did I miss something? You are talking about the Valve Index, right?

The Valve Index has a 1440 × 1600 Pixel resolution per eye. The Valve Index is light years back right now, looking at the resolution and the lenses. The glare is the worst I've ever seen. The sweet spot is tiny, compared with any "new" VR-HS. How can one tell that old stuff could in any way compare with any new VR-headset? If one is not an absolute FOV nerd (and even then there a much better VR-HS out there, and cheaper), there is absolutely no reason to go for an Index these days anymore.

But I may misunderstand you. 😇

My Pimax Crystal never heats up my face. It's cooler than my Quest 3. 🤔

But congrats to your Varjo X4. 🤩

I probably didn't make it clear, I run the Index at 150% resolution and 120hz with the settings I posted running a Ryzen 9 7950X 3D and a 4090. But I am not experiencing the glare or small sweet spot. My findings are actually not the same. I don't get any warpage around the edges and its the largest sweet spot over all. There are some glare issues but its pretty moderate for me.
The last headset I purchased was the Vive pro 2. Its native resolution is 2448 X 2448 with 120 fov. And I was able to pump it up to around 3500 at 150% res but when you look to the side the resolution fades rapidly and the image warps. And I find it distracting when looking around. By far its a better headset but the clarity was isolated to looking forward. Maybe not so much for others but its a killer for me. Its more of a fisheye look when you look to the side and I just can't get used to it. 

You might not believe this but the clarity (not resolution) around the edges of the Index are equal to the Varjo.  

But again, they make a lot of different headsets for different taste. For flying helicopters (for me) I like the Index the best. But for jets those higher resolutions can be critical for sighting bogeys. 

These are the numbers on the Index PPD which is another reason I like it so much

• Vive: (1080 * 0.82) / 100 = 8.856 PPD (17.712 sPPD)

• Vive Pro: (1440 * 0.82) / 100 = 11.808 PPD (23.616 sPPD)

• Rift: (1080 * 0.66) / 84 = 8.486 PPD (16.972 sPPD)

• Index: (1440 * 0.95) / 120 = 11.4 (34.2 sPPD - 3 subpixels per pixel)

I never tried the Crystal, I had the 8X about 3 months before the Crystal came out. And the image quality, sweet spot, and fov are amazing. I bought the upgraded speakers as well as the counter weights. Its not uncommon for me to fly 6-8 hour sessions and that thing would build a lot of heat inside. I am glad to hear the Crystal doesn't do that. 

Don't get me wrong, I am certainly not comparing image quality of the Index to anything. For me its the fov clarity more than anything else. And so far the Varjo hits all the 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Any more thoughts on the XR4 for DCS and/or SteamVR PC games? I'm looking into one. 

GPU: RTX 4090 - 3,000 MHz core / 12,000 MHz VRAM. 

CPU: 7950X3d - 5.2 GHz X3d, 5.8 GHz secondary / MB: ASUS Crosshair X670E Gene / RAM: G.Skill 48GB 6400 MHz

SSD: Intel Optane P5800X - 800GB

VR: Pimax Crystal

CONTROLS: VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base / VPC Constellation ALPHA Prime Grip / VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle / TM Pendular Rudders

Just wondering, those thinking about using pass through so they can see real-world cockpits, won't it be super-jarring to be in the DCS environment with it's realistic lighting and shadows, then combine that with your cockpit lit by your room lighting?

Or maybe they will come up with a linked "sun" light on a robot arm swivelling round, the light colours being variable and with an LCD mask in front of the lamps to simulate clouds. Just musing....

- Michael

Intel Core i7 13700K | RTX 4070 | ASUS TUF Z690 | Pimax Crystal | Virpil/Warthog HOTAS

9 hours ago, MichaelJWP15 said:

Just wondering, those thinking about using pass through so they can see real-world cockpits, won't it be super-jarring to be in the DCS environment with it's realistic lighting and shadows, then combine that with your cockpit lit by your room lighting?

Or maybe they will come up with a linked "sun" light on a robot arm swivelling round, the light colours being variable and with an LCD mask in front of the lamps to simulate clouds. Just musing....

I’ve thought the same thing and watching some videos on others using pass-through I personally don’t think it is a feature I would use for “in-cockpit” however I can see benefits in ME and if you have to pause and adjust something. 

Corsair 5000D Black - i913900KS 24 core 3.2GHz - ASUS Z790 Hero DDR5 - 64GB Dominator DDR5 - iCUE H150i Liquid Cooler - QL iCUE Fans- PNY 24GB RTX4090 - 2TB 990 Pro - 2TB 980 Pro - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS/Throttle and TRP Pedals - Cougars MFD - Total Controls MFBB - TEK AHCP - Trak Racer TR8 Pro cockpit and a frustrating Pimax 8kx Varjo Aero.... "So I commandeered the police car and was giving people rides in it for $80… I don't call it a drinking problem; I call it a 'making to much money' problem"--Jungle Recon

Unless you have a full blown simpit then I think passthrough XR is more immersion breaking for the purposes of a simulation game. For me, a well setup leap motion is far more immersive to reach out and flick a virtual switch as you retain the lighting from DCS, added bonus you can use the leap hands to shade the MFDs in bright sunlight🙂

Regarding the xr4, a lot of reports are of display artifacts which haven't been solved as of yet; it's far from mature and I wouldn't want to think about dropping that value on a headset without it being perfect.

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

On 3/18/2024 at 7:54 PM, edmuss said:

Unless you have a full blown simpit then I think passthrough XR is more immersion breaking for the purposes of a simulation game.

I agree, also I jump around between many modules in DCS, aircraft in MSFS, cars in various racing sims, so I could never settle on one cockpit to build and sit in. Leap motion is good but it will be great if better haptic gloves become available so you get some kind of touch feedback when you interact with switches, even if it's never going to be like the real thing in terms of not putting your hand through things.

- Michael

Intel Core i7 13700K | RTX 4070 | ASUS TUF Z690 | Pimax Crystal | Virpil/Warthog HOTAS