Keyboard or mouse to operate avionics and systems?

WildeSau

Hey guys,

I am new to DCS, and I am starting with the F-5. I am going through all the manuals, Chuck’s, videos… but I have a question. I have been flying, pausing, using the mouse, continuing, pausing again, keyboard… Is this how you play the game? I mean, to operate the systems and avionics?

Even after memorizing some commands, one still has to pause to set up Tacam, to change lights, to set up the radar. The game dynamics is not very fluid..

What I really want to ask is how do you play? Keyboard, mouse, pausing frequently? 

Thanks in advance and have a great week everyone!

PS: I am playing with stick, throttle, rudder, TrackIR, and yet lost in the systems.

Edited by WildeSau
Correct and make it cearer

Welcome to DCS and welcome to the forums. 🙂

One important thing to do when you're learning to fly is to trim the aircraft, especially the pitch axis. Because once your aircraft is properly trimmed on the Y axis, you can do a lot of things without pausing the sim:

• read the manuals
  • look for a switch in the cockpit
  • set TACAN
  • make some coffee
8 hours ago, WildeSau said:

The game dynamics seems broken.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean.

• Like 1

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

8 hours ago, WildeSau said:

Hey guys,

I am new to DCS, and I am starting with the F-5. I am going through all the manuals, Chuck’s, videos… but I have a question. I have been flying, pausing, using the mouse, continuing, pausing again, keyboard… Is this how you play the game? I mean, to operate the systems and avionics?

Even after memorizing some commands, one still has to pause to set up Tacam, to change lights, to set up the radar. The game dynamics seems broken.

What I really want to ask is how do play? Keyboard, mouse, pausing frequently? 

Thanks in advance and have a great week everyone!

PS: I am playing with stick, throttle, rudder, TrackIR, and yet lost in the systems.

Make use of the Autopilot (I assume the F-5 has at least a basic one? Dont' know). And of course - as Flappie already said - do proper trimming. 

For TrackIR use - I recommend to setup an easy to reach pause button for the tracking. otherwise in a moving aircraft hitting a switch can be hard do to the "wandering" cursor.

Real pilots will probably do procedures like setting up tacan or a course only in a fully stabilized aircraft at proper altitude.

(Hands of trimming is easier in real life though, than in game)

• Like 1

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

Make use of the Autopilot (I assume the F-5 has at least a basic one? Dont' know). And of course - as Flappie already said - do proper trimming. 
For TrackIR use - I recommend to setup an easy to reach pause button for the tracking. otherwise in a moving aircraft hitting a switch can be hard do to the "wandering" cursor.
Real pilots will probably do procedures like setting up tacan or a course only in a fully stabilized aircraft at proper altitude.
(Hands of trimming is easier in real life though, than in game)
It actually doesn't have one at all. Only dampers, make sure they're on after engine start.
OP, if you're right handed, it's very easy to learn to fly with your left if the stick is centered, so you can use mouse/keyboard with your right. Like Flappie writes, trim! The F-5 is one of the easiest modules to learn in DCS. Many of the predefined keystrokes are logical and easy to remember. You might want to get some button boxes/MFDs, or a programmable keyboard. I use a couple of Razer Cynosa's with individual key lighting, along with TMs MFDs. I also use a second screen with Helios/Ikarus for easier view of the instruments/radar.
VoiceAttack was a very cheap way to use extra commands, and coupled with VAICOM that's now free, you don't have to use the keyboard/mouse/hat for radio comms anymore.
Cheers!

Sent from my SM-A536B using Tapatalk

I am probably misunderstanding exactly what you are asking, but you should not be pausing the game to set-up anything in the cockpit - that is not realistic.

I am a former F-100 pilot (Vietnam era) and obviously real pilots do not have the luxury of pausing the airplane during flight to set-up anything in the cockpit (radios, TACAN, weapons switches, etc.).  Before you ever climb into the cockpit, you should be completely knowledgeable of where every switch, button, knob, etc. is located, and how to operate them.  Certainly, you would want to have the aircraft trimmed up as much as possible to keep a stable attitude while you may have a hand off the stick and are manipulating any cockpit switches.  This never presented any issues when I was flying real jets.

My apologies if I misunderstood what you were trying to do.