RLWR vs CMWS detection specificity.

Chic

In Wags Defense System tutorial, the missile threats were detected by both systems simultaneously.  That would suggest that the missile utilized both radar and infrared guidance, if not 2 different missiles from the same vicinity.  What am I missing?  

A Co, 229th AHB, 1st Cav Div

ASUS Prime Z370-A MB, Intel Core i7 8700K 5.0GHz OC'd, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4, 1TB SSD, Win 10

Samsung 65" 4K Curved Display (Oculus Rift occaisionally), Track IR5, VoiceAttack, Baur's BRD-N Cyclic base/Virpil T-50CM Grip, UH-1h Collective by Microhelis & OE-XAM Pedals. JetSeat & SimShaker for Aviators.

JUST CHOPPERS

• ED Team

The missile is detected by both systems simultaneously, but the systems detect threats in different ways. The RLWR detects the launch of a radar-guided missile by the change in the radar signals from the launching air defense system. The CMWS optically detects the missile itself. But just because the missile is detected by two different systems, that does not mean the weapon itself is being guided via two methods.

The CMWS just passively detects the presence of a missile launch; it doesn't know what type of missile it is. The RLWR detects a change in radar signals associated with some types of radar-guided missiles. However, neither of these systems will 100% tell you what sort of weapon system is being fired at you.

• A MiG-29 locks on to your aircraft and fires a radar-guided R-27R, the RLWR will detect the MiG-29's radar switching to missile guidance mode to guide the R-27R toward your aircraft; and the CMWS will detect the missile itself.
  • A MiG-29 locks on to your aircraft and fires an IR-guided R-27T, the RLWR will detect the MiG-29's radar tracking you but will not indicate the radar switching to a missile guidance mode since the R-27T requires no such guidance; while the CMWS will detect the missile itself.
  • A MiG-29 keeps its radar silent and fires an IR-guided R-73, the RLWR won't detect the MiG-29 at all but the CMWS will detect the missile itself.

In each instance, the CMWS sees a missile coming, regardless of what radar signals (if any) the RLWR detects. It isn't so much what each of the two systems are telling you as much was what they are individually not telling you.

• Like 4

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head

I believe a longer range launch with motor burned out and the missile coasting in would make a case point where the threat is unlikely to be detected by UV-based systems such as CMWS, as the sensors are effectively flame detectors, sensitive to missile's exhaust plume (or other suitable flames).

Perfect. Thank you both. 

A Co, 229th AHB, 1st Cav Div

ASUS Prime Z370-A MB, Intel Core i7 8700K 5.0GHz OC'd, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4, 1TB SSD, Win 10

Samsung 65" 4K Curved Display (Oculus Rift occaisionally), Track IR5, VoiceAttack, Baur's BRD-N Cyclic base/Virpil T-50CM Grip, UH-1h Collective by Microhelis & OE-XAM Pedals. JetSeat & SimShaker for Aviators.

JUST CHOPPERS

vor 16 Minuten schrieb Brigg:

So does it pick up missiles that are launched even that aren't locked or launched at the apache 

it picks up ALL rocket motors that it can see, no regard if its coming towards you or away from you,aimed at you or not ( in dcs ) its somewhat unreliable on servers with alot of missiles flying around since 80% of the time none of those missiles are going for you, wich makes it realy hard to figure out when you can actualy rely on it for your own defence

23 minutes ago, dedlike. said:

it picks up ALL rocket motors that it can see, no regard if its coming towards you or away from you,aimed at you or not ( in dcs ) its somewhat unreliable on servers with alot of missiles flying around since 80% of the time none of those missiles are going for you, wich makes it realy hard to figure out when you can actualy rely on it for your own defence

Right ok. Yeah I was rifling tanks in the Hind and a squad member was picking up my launches way to the North of me and was able to find me using that. So I take it that's not how it works in the real thing then 

7 hours ago, Brigg said:

Right ok. Yeah I was rifling tanks in the Hind and a squad member was picking up my launches way to the North of me and was able to find me using that. So I take it that's not how it works in the real thing then 

I mean, if the sensors can see the UV/IR heat bloom from a missile/rocket motor when it launches, and if the CMWS it thinks it's a missile launch, it'll give a missile launch warning. That's basically all there is to it.