Something i have noticed based on reading the aircrafts manuals and seeing real life videos on the spitfire, the issue regards the mixture controll lever as it is currently it is inccorect, currently to start the engine you must, set the fuel cock, build fuel pressure using either method, prime the engine, open the covers press both at the same time and once the engine begins to splutter or "catch" move the mixture into the "RUN" position from "IDLE CUT-OFF" referencing "Air Ministy Air Publication 1565J, p&l-P.N. September 1946 Pilots notes" (this covers the merlin 61,63,66,70 and 266) it should be done as follows,

(PRE-START)

set fuel cock ON

Ignition (magnitos) switches OFF

Throttle 1/2 in.-1in. open

RPM lever fully forward

Mixture lever (Marked correctly as Idle cut-off lever) Fully Aft

Supercharger Auto 

Carburettor air intake filter control Filter in operation

(START)

Switch ON the main tanks booster pump for 30 secconds (this is done as both the wobbly fuel pump and booster are mutually exclusive and it is used instead of the wobbly hand pump)

Then switch it off (at this point the low fuel pressure light should extinguish) and set the mixture (idle cut-off lever) to the forward RUN position 

Prime the engine as required based on the outside temps

switch on the ignition (magnitos) and press the starter and booster coil pushbuttons 

when the engine fires release the starter button; keep the booster could button depressed until the engine is running smoothly

the issue is, that this is not possible in DCS you can only start the engine with the mixture aft then wait untill the engine "catches" and move the mixture to run, as you can see in the manual this is inccorect you can also find videos for the real thing starting up in the manner described in the manual and not how it works in DCS, this is something that has bugged me for a long time, and i could not find a report on it so i thought id make one.

I own a phisical copy of this manual can have a digital vertion i can send if you need it both are identical i can also provide a video if you wish 

regards minty

Yup, it's been reported multiple times years ago (albeit not always in dedicated bug threads) and allegedly acknowledged by Nick as something to be improved in the unspecified future, but looks like it got buried under other issues to fix.

Nothing wrong though about bringing it to attention again.

Edited by Art-J

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Makes me wonder how these things are overlooked, or left. I’ve noticed some things in the Spit that I can get away with (during startup) that I don’t think I should be able to do. We want it to be right don’t we.

Good shout Miny1 and welcome 🙂.

On 12/8/2023 at 2:27 PM, Slippa said:

Makes me wonder how these things are overlooked, or left. I’ve noticed some things in the Spit that I can get away with (during startup) that I don’t think I should be able to do. We want it to be right don’t we.

Good shout Miny1 and welcome 🙂.

It wasn't overlooked, they just copy paste code from P-51 module they just saved a lot of time by doing this.

If it comes to real planes you can start up both p51 and spitfire both ways. Difference is in fuel pump on or off, if you start with fuel pump on you have to start with mixture lever in cut off position if not you will pour fuel on the ground.

If you start with fuel pump off you can set mixture lever in run position prior, but ofc before you have to prime fuel lines with fuel pump before start up just like in spitfire.

Edited by grafspee
  • Like 1

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

27 minutes ago, grafspee said:

It wasn't overlooked, they just copy paste code from P-51 module they just saved a lot of time by doing this.

Overlooking the fact that it meant releasing a Spit that isn’t quite working as it should.

Not surprised they shared coding, the Packard Merlin In the Pony won’t be that different to the Merlin. Imagine the Pony without that engine. Apparently the pre ‘42 Allison engine made it up to 100mph slower. I’m drifting way off topic but still.

51 minutes ago, Slippa said:

Overlooking the fact that it meant releasing a Spit that isn’t quite working as it should.

Not surprised they shared coding, the Packard Merlin In the Pony won’t be that different to the Merlin. Imagine the Pony without that engine. Apparently the pre ‘42 Allison engine made it up to 100mph slower. I’m drifting way off topic but still.

Actually alison powered p51 was performing better low to medium alt then merlin powered p51s, at high alt is where merlin shines. 

• Like 1

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor