F-22 crash

Kusch

http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123141485

Maj. Gen. David Eichhorn, Air Force Flight Test Center commander

"This is a very difficult day for Edwards and those who knew and respected Dave as a warrior, test pilot and friend,Our thoughts and prayers are with Dave and his family as we struggle through, and do all we can to support them."

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

This really sucks. I just saw one flying all last week. I live about a mile from Luke AFB and the airshow was kicking off with the first F-22 air demo I've seen. It's an awesome plane. The thrust vectoring really shows off especially in high alpha manuevers where you think the plane have no where to go, but they just turn the nozzles and the thing shifts around.

R.I.P.

R.I.P.

"Общество овец со временем неминуемо породит правительство волков". Bertrand de Jouvenel

"Там, где торжествует серость, к власти всегда приходят черные" Братья Стругацкие

A note on the whole complexity thing: people were saying the very same thing as topol-m over here when the 39 crashed at the Stockholm Water Festival. That was the second time during testing that the aircraft had crashed and everyone (in civilian life) was convinced that the program had been proven a failure. It was just too complex!

However, the military was calm (except for some who were royally pissed off about flying a prototype aircraft in the middle of stockholm during it's biggest and most crowded festival...), because they remembered how many times the "simpler" aircraft like the 37 Viggen, 35 Draken, 32 Lansen and 29 Tunnan crashed during testing. (And in the case of the Tunnan, how many operational pilots it killed just 'cause they wanted to land the thing.)

As far as I've been able to see, there are less and less crashes in newer systems as they go into testing. If this is only the second crash for the 22 then that is bloody awesomely good, tbh. :P

BUT

Doesn't make it any easier on the pilot's family, friends, and co-workers. I hope that they are able to find out what caused it and be able to improve it - that way the loss of life will not be entirely in vain.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

R.I.P.

Thermaltake Kandalf LCS | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R | Etasis ET750 (850W Max) | i7-920 OC to 4.0 GHz | Gigabyte HD5850 | OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3 2000 | 2 X 30GB OCZ Vertex SSD in RAID 0 | ASUS VW266H 25.5" | LG Blue Ray 10X burner | TIR 5 | Saitek X-52 Pro | Logitech G930 | Saitek Pro flight rudder pedals | Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

topol-m, I believe the article said that the USAF has stated that they will not release any further information. Could be that they already have suspicions on it being a fault in a system where further information would risk people being able to infer some detailed information on it's capabilities.

Could of course also be that the system is secret enough that Standard Operational Procedure is to just STFU.

I'll have to take the time to re-read that article.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Why are you suspecting ejection seat failure? How about spatial disorientantion instead?

Any info on why did not ejected? Maybe an ejection seat failure as well? Hope that becomes clear, if its not covered up.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Or, for that matter, just such severe G forces that he didn't manage to reach for the handles.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

|
| Life of a Game Tester

If something has gone wrong at low altitude it most probably is a pilot mistake- altitude/attitude missjudge, g-loc, other health issues etc. But it could have been a technical issue as well. Usualy at low altitude if things go out of control the pilots have the instinct to punch out though military and especially test pilots will often risk their lives to save the aircraft and will stay in trying to recover. It could have been any or combination of those factors.

What should be said here is that the F-22 is famous for it's reliability and safety. It even beats the notorious reliability of the F-15 as the most reliable new design in the USAF, without even making a two-seater. You can really see where all those billions have gone.

What will really suck now is if LM blames the pilot (although it's their pilot) for everything to defend it's product while trying to convince the Pethagon to buy more of them.

"See, to me that's a stupid instrument. It tells what your angle of attack is. If you don't know you shouldn't be flying." - Chuck Yeager, from the back seat of F-15D at age 89.

=RvE=