WinXP64 and FC / Starforce

Just tried to run FC Demo on XP64 RC 2, but Starforce blocked it:

The current Version of Starforce that comes along with the FC 1.1 Demo does not support WinXP64 - yet.

See http://www.lockon-forum.ch/php/forum/thread.php?threadid=978&sid= for a screenshot.

kind regards,

Raven....

[sigpic]http://www.crc-mindreader.de/CRT/images/Birds2011.gif[/sigpic]

The fact that StarForce operates partially at the driver/OS level to enforce its security means that any change in the hardware or software level may potentially break the product, even if the game itself can still run. A lot of us will be upgrading to XP 64bit when the release version is done, and I'm really curious to see how well the starforce protected games will handle this transition - if the drivers are broken they will have to release a patch for every game that uses SF, so I suspect that their production line is about to be tested ;)

That's just so ridiculous.

Even more reason for people to want, and for the Groupz to produce, No-CD cracks for these games.

The idea behind SF protection just doesn't work.

It's flawed.

It can never work at the system level, and shouldn't be at the system level.

That's just so ridiculous.

Even more reason for people to want, and for the Groupz to produce, No-CD cracks for these games.

The idea behind SF protection just doesn't work.

It's flawed.

It can never work at the system level, and shouldn't be at the system level.

Correct - it should be at the user level. Don't pirate stuff :wink:

Hey, that was easy . . . . .

Correct - it should be at the user level. Don't pirate stuff :wink:

Hey, that was easy . . . . .

And irrelevant to a thread on the SF technology itself.

Your comment is, indeed.

Anti-piracy systems exist because many people illegally use software. This is a fact. If you know the perfect anti-piracy system, tell us.

Perhaps ISP's should report all suspicious large file downloads of their customers to the authorities. I guess that would work.

ALDEGAYour comment is, indeed.

Anti-piracy systems exist because many people illegally use software. This is a fact. If you know the perfect anti-piracy system, tell us.

Perhaps ISP's should report all suspicious large file downloads of their customers to the authorities. I guess that would work.

Yes, we know why anti piracy systems exist.

And this one, StarForce, is flawed and causes a lot of problems.

The thread is about a possible future problem and further consideration for the technology which is one that would require even more future upgrades to allow gamers to keep playing their games.

What's your point?

And no, I think ISPs reporting all large file downloads is a stupid idea.

I am against Piracy.

But I will not sacrifice my privacy and my rights as a consumer to help stop Piracy.

I value my right to privacy, and do not support nor promote a police state where citizen's information is gathered and recorded without any knowledge of the citizen, and with no judicial safeguards on their use.

I am also against profiling and the escalation of executive privilege to cover aspects of the judiciary.

It has nothing to do with whether a citizen has 'something to hide'.As far as I'm concerned that non sequitur is continuosly bandied about by those who attempt to dissuade individuals from rational arguments and the truth.Pretty soon we will be hearing about a War On Piracy as another excuse to remove the rights of citizens.

Would you like the government going through your wife's underwear on a continuous basis, or placing video cameras in your bedroom because 'you have nothing to hide'?. I certainly would not. Would you like to have frequent roadblocks and be forced to be subjected to strip searches at designated areas because "You have nothing to hide"? I would not.

Once this begins, by the time the sheep realise that they are no longer living in a free and democratic society but rather in an Orwellian nightmare, it will be too late.

You can view organisations that understand the value of civil rights, the freedom of speech, and the importance of Privacy in the short list below. Other countries also have such organisations available for education on the subject.

http://www.eff.org/

http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,109985,00.asp

http://www.wired.com/news/privacy

I'd also like to reiterate that none of this is relevant to the original thread topic.

8)

Guest Dlink
And no, I think ISPs reporting all large file downloads is a stupid idea.

Do you have anything to hide from the authorities? :o

OK< Aldega, since you brought it up.

I would like you to setup a share that is available to the internet, completely and without restriction so that I may have a look at all your HDs at anytime just to make sure "YOU" have nothing to hide.

I can see it now.

Aldegas home town enacts legislation that requires that all locks in every home have a master key that the police possess and that the police can come into the home at anytime to make sure "he has nothing to hide". I am fairly certain (100% certain in fact) that Aldega would be first in line to protest such an idea.

BTW, ALDEGA, ever heard the term "RED HERRING", because that is exactly what your last several posts have been.

http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/red-herring.html

it even has a bit of strawman in there too.

http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/straw-man.html

ALDEGAYour comment is, indeed.

yes, or any suspicious log information, like umm, that guy who tried to donate money on the British Telecom tsunami server using the Lynx browser, and got arrested by armed police for it...

ALDEGA

..OMG..I just realised.

Aldega wasn't being sarcastic....that was a SERIOUS comment..

:shock:

ALDEGA

..OMG..I just realised.

Aldega wasn't being sarcastic....that was a SERIOUS comment..

:shock:

welcome to the club :D

Somebody please enlight me and tell me why a copy protection software must run as a driver ? or be installed as separate software ? Why it just cannot be linked into the game's exe or dll ? That way a lot of suspicion and trouble would go away ...

Somebody please enlight me and tell me why a copy protection software must run as a driver ? or be installed as separate software ? Why it just cannot be linked into the game's exe or dll ? That way a lot of suspicion and trouble would go away ...

Very good question. And this is the main point counting against Starforce so far. There is other, reliable (ehh, as reliable as long as nobody cracks it..) copy protection software on the market, beside this crap of Starforce. :twisted:

kind regards,

Raven....

[sigpic]http://www.crc-mindreader.de/CRT/images/Birds2011.gif[/sigpic]

Let's see what ED comes up with, everybody has posts about why or why not and I do think it's time to let ED figure out what they want to do.

They may or may not decide to use it.

As far as StarForce is concerned, nobody is talking. It's all user speculation, including my own issues with the product.

Actually, Starforce is both.

As I understanded, an imbedded call in the software checks with the driver to see if certain things 'aint right', like looking for virtual drives and such. Thats the idiot's viewpoint anyways, I've never tried to see what it has under the hood.

Hmm...the more I read the I dislike Starforce!

Anyway, why not wait until ED announce what they have planned for the release version. After that debacle, I highly doubt they will still use it.

ED have been taking my money since 1995. :P

none of this would even be a problem if microsoft put in exe protection in their own damn os. I still can't figure out why they can't make an os where executable files cannot be tampered with.

That would be Digital Rights Management.

That's another can of worms.

Firstly, as for reporting large downloads, it wont work, people will simply use archiving and break ISOs into smaller file fragments which will be separately downloaded and reassembled by a zip utility. Piece of cake to get around that one.

Second, I did some testing concerning the reports that SF disables the Nero burning software. This claim bothered me a little because I bought a combined CD-R burner and DVD reader (LG) and Nero is the software sold with it to control the CD burning process, a process which all intelligent people regularly use for backing up their important and valued files.

As I have Nero it was easy to test, put in a CD and burn a disk. Yep, it still worked ok, no problem. However, I then read that it doesn’t prevent burning per-se, it disables the ISO burning capability. So I tested this further claim, and found that indeed, Nero data burning still works but opening an ISO of one of your CDs causes Nero’s window to flicker for about 10 seconds, then the program CTDs!

NOT IMPRESSED!

And it can’t be removed by removing the SF driver, or by removing FC, or by removing Nero and reinstalling, nor by re-setting to a restore-point prior to the installation of the FC demo!

If I want to back up my very expensive CD programs, which are legitimate, I now can’t, unless I reinstall my operating system, and don’t use any SF protected game, or else get some other ISO CD burning software that SF does not feck up.

Sorry, StarForce have zero right to make service denial attacks upon my private and legally owned and used PC hardware and software.

Totally unacceptable behaviour SF, and by association, ED. :twisted:

Hmm...the more I read the I dislike Starforce!

Anyway, why not wait until ED announce what they have planned for the release version. After that debacle, I highly doubt they will still use it.

It is all about knowledge huh?

That's why it's better NOT to flame others who say there's an issue with something because there's always the chance they understand the issue before you have.

A lot of futile argument is prevented that way :)

zzzspace,

Based on the decision that ED has made with regards to Star-F***, I wonder if either of them will step up and compensate you for ruining your installation on your PC? :roll:

Guess the next sound pack will be delayed......

What are your thoughts now zzzspace that you've seen this crazy situation first hand? This would have used up one of your three installations options.