Due to connecting a second monitor, my control indicator disappeared

Red_Pilot

Maybe someone knows where the control indicator file for the MiG29, Su 27 and Su 33 is located? As title said, due to connecting a second monitor, my indicator disappeared. I'd like to fix it, but I can't find this file

P.S. I searched for an answer in several relevant topics, but I couldn't find it and no one has answered my question there yet

If you revert back to a single monitor, does it reappear? My guess is that, with a two monitor setup, it’s being “displayed” outside the viewable area.

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

This is exactly this case. But in order to fix the position of the indicator, I have to edit the control indicator file, which I cannot find in the module folders
Because the FC3 modules don't have an editable one. Which is sad. Lots of posts about it.

Sent from my SM-A536B using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Same issue, due to the total multimonitor size and decalred resolution, the control indicator i partly hidden for me . It seems to stick at the bottom left of my multiscreen setup, which is lower than my mainview. Hence I do not see the full indicator setup

default_stick_indicator_pos.png

Unlike the kneeboard we cannot drag and replace this one

It would be great if we could setup position of this view (maybe there is one I don't know?) through a viewport of something to ensure users could place it where they want it (same with the kneeboard btw)

Edited by Red Dog
  • Like 1

Have a Bandit Day

Red Dog

[sIGPIC]

http://www.ravico.com/ST/perso/Sig_generale.png

[/sIGPIC]

Same issue, due to the total multimonitor size and decalred resolution, the control indicator i partly hidden for me . It seems to stick at the bottom left of my multiscreen setup, which is lower than my mainview. Hence I do not see the full indicator setup
default_stick_indicator_pos.png
It would be great if we could setup position of this view (maybe there is one I don't know?) through a viewport of something to ensure users could place it where they want it (same with the kneeboard btw)
I agree. You can fix it for other modules, but will probably never be "fixed" for FC3 modules, unfortunately.

14 hours ago, Red Dog said:

For non-FC3 (no idea if it works in FC3 aircraft) you can move + resize the kneeboard (I think this breaks IC though)

In your: D:\DCS World OpenBeta\Scripts\Aircrafts\_Common\Cockpit\ViewportHandling.lua
AT LINE 33:  dedicated_viewport           = {3910,2437,600,700} <<< it will say default, you'll need to figure out co-ordinates (1st 2 numbers) and size (2nd 2 numbers) to put it where you want.

You might be able to find other settings in there that might help you with control indicator (I have no idea if there is anything).

For non-FC3 (no idea if it works in FC3 aircraft) you can move + resize the kneeboard (I think this breaks IC though)
In your: D:\DCS World OpenBeta\Scripts\Aircrafts\_Common\Cockpit\ViewportHandling.lua
AT LINE 33:  dedicated_viewport           = {3910,2437,600,700} <<< it will say default, you'll need to figure out co-ordinates (1st 2 numbers) and size (2nd 2 numbers) to put it where you want.
You might be able to find other settings in there that might help you with control indicator (I have no idea if there is anything).
Like I wrote somewhere else, unfortunately, nothing can be done for FC3 modules, (apart from messing with the whole rendered area and add an extra physical screen to "force it" to display in the lower right corner).
To not break IC for the kneeboard, just make a macro like with VoiceAttack to move it.
Cheers!

I'd rather wish for ED to look up this problem and let us move both the kneeboard and the control indicator as we users would see fit without breaking the IC?
I'm sure it's not on purpose that it breaks the IC, it's just an omission because the kneeboard and the stick indicator (and maybe others) have not been taken into the multi monitor big picture (pun intended)

Maybe the right way to fix this is to let us manage these two with dedicated common viewports. Problem solved.

- No more weird default position which change from one user to another 
- Users gets flexibility and can place their stuff where they want it
- No IC failure
- everybody happy and sorry for the added work for the devs.

So Ed, pelase report this issue and see if this can be fixed  -  Thanks
In the meantime, we'll have to find or own way till this is addressed eventually. 

Edited by Red Dog
  • Like 2

Have a Bandit Day

Red Dog

[sIGPIC]

http://www.ravico.com/ST/perso/Sig_generale.png

[/sIGPIC]

• 2 months later...

I would add a wish for developing and integrating in DCS itself more user-friendly interface for multi-monitor setup and layout. I mean - eliminating the need to use other third party solutions (like SimAppPro or Helios - it can serve as an example) and editing of multiple lua-files (located in various folders) for configuring and customizing DCS appearance on multiple monitors. It may be separate tab in Settings window showing (preferably in graphic form) where different views, MFDs, controls, indicators, text messages, pop-up menus, start-up pictures etc are to be displayed. User just need to "drag and drop" desired layout (position and size of displayed items). And then program itself (without any possibility for user to make a mistake in calculations or write something incorrect) would calculate all the necessary coordinates and write all the necessary scripts (or make changes to existing scripts) in their respective folders. Now it's possible to  set total screen resolution and choose from several preset monitor configurations (most of which, anyway, require some editing) through Settings which is, obviously, not enough to cover all the needs of multi-monitor users.

And another part of this wish (related to viewports and their assignment) is about "HUD-only" view. "HUD-only" view layout settings may also be a separate tab, where user can select which MFDs or other indicators or controls should be displayed, where they should be located on the main screen and what their size should be (3 MFDs of F/A-18 occupy almost half of the screen and display of F-14 (another strange thing is that in pilot's seat you'll see a RIO's display and vise versa) is so small that it's almost impossible to use). And - vice versa - where user can choose an option NOT to display any additional MFDs (there were posts on this forum about "HUD only" and not "HUD + MFDs" view). Right now there's no way to configure layout of "HUD only" view through Settings, so only defaults can be used, which is not always comfortable.

I'm sure that for highly skilled ED programmers it's not an impossible task since it does not involve complex physical modeling. Besides, who knows better than them where those "default" positions, sizes and displayable items are hidden?

• Like 1