Apple Vision Pro in stores in February

winghunter

Mark Gurman has a stellar track record when it comes to apple rumors.#

Apple is reportedly preparing to launch its Vision Pro mixed-reality headset by February. 

The company has been increasing production of the headset at its facilities in China, with the aim of having units ready for customers by the end of January and on the shelves in February, Bloomberg reported Wednesday (Dec. 20). 

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-12-20/when-will-apple-vision-pro-be-available-company-is-aiming-for-february?srnd=premium

Edited by winghunter

DCS Web Editor - New 3D Mission Editor for DCS that runs in your browser

DCS Web Viewer free browser based mission planner / viewer

dcs web editor new(2).png
4090 RTX, 13700KF, water cooled

I would love to know if there is a plan for this VR headset to work with DCS or other Windows applications but I cannot find any evidence of it yet. This is especially interesting to those of us with HP Reverb G2 headsets or others that rely on Windows Mixed Reality (WMR) services that Microsoft announced they are ending. 

• Like 2

Guy Godin from Virtual Desktop announced that he will code his client streamer app for the Vision Pro as soon as he gets one in his hands (and Apple allows to publish it). From there it might be the best possible but also very expensive PCVR headset without controllers for a relatively short period of time. Good for any kind of sim like flying and racing.

Edited by RealDCSpilot
  • Like 1

i9 13900K @5.5GHz, Z790 Gigabyte Aorus Master, RTX4090 Waterforce, 64 GB DDR5 @5600, Pico 4, HOTAS & Rudder: all Virpil with Rhino FFB base made by VPforce, DCS: all modules

It’s like Apple released its Wonder Weapon too late to win the VR war…

• Like 1

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

• 2 weeks later...

yes it is typical apple prduct overpriced and late to the party.. oh I forgot to mention overhyped.. I am hearing prices at about 3500USD.. now I am not rich by any means but if this trend continues I am going to loose yet another hobby, Gaming.. haha!!

Edited by The_Nephilim
  • Like 1

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/18/2024 at 4:49 AM, winghunter said:

It weighs between 500-600g so lighter than a Quest Pro, and about the same as a Quest 3

Yeah, these are likely reviews from typical people who think it should be like a pair of glasses. I thought the Oculus was about as heavy as a baseball cap. This tech is kinda dead regardless. I can’t see people wearing this to watch an entire movie or use as their computer monitor. In my industry it seems VR hype died with the pandemic because people won’t share headsets anymore and everything is Zoom calls. 

Edited by SharpeXB
  • Like 1

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

I just have to agree with you @SharpeXB even at the launch Apple made me laugh looking at their videos of people being happy to wear that thing with the weird projected eyes effect on the faceplate. Watching family memories shot in 3D VR lol!

VR to me will continue to be all about gaming especially simulation, and AR will have uses in industry (if they can ever get the tech working). Despite being able to do it since the days of the Oculus DK1, I have never watched a movie in VR and never wanted to..

- Michael

Intel Core i7 13700K | RTX 4070 | ASUS TUF Z690 | Pimax Crystal | Virpil/Warthog HOTAS

In my industry, architecture and construction, I could have imagined VR just being the thing. And for a short time in 2017-2020  it got some attention. You can go walk around the building with a client and just see everything like it’s completely real. Pretty amazing. We did this in room-scale in a big special VR room with the lighthouses and such. Today of course everything is built virtual before it’s built for real.  

But the hype died or so it seems for these reasons. First the pandemic made every meeting remote. In fact the last thing I did before everything was locked down was this VR meeting. Ironically VR has to be in-person due to all the hardware. Now it’s all Zoom, everything has gone virtual. Offices are gone and everyone works remote. People aren’t going to share headsets either, what a laugh to reflect on those days. And the company isn’t going to buy everyone a $500 headset let alone a $3,500 one. Then the tech is too complicated for remote users to set up themselves even if they all had their own headsets. And then of course all this software we would use is Windows based so an Apple headset is a no-go. And it amazes me that given the type of work I do and the tech industry clients I work with that they aren’t all enthused with this stuff. But nope, it’s gone. 

42 minutes ago, winghunter said:

Though, we're talking about Apple

Yes. The tablet was a dead-end device until Apple launched the iPad. 

I'm not an Appleaholic but they do have a habit of getting things right.

It won't be any good for DCS though. 

• Like 1

5800x3drtx407064Gb 3200: 1Tb NVME: Pico 4: Rift S: Quest Pro

I have one coming my way with Feb 2nd delivery, won't be any good for PCVR but it will likely trigger other companies to release more headsets if successful so indirect positive effect maybe.  It does support Steam Link so you can stream Steam's nonVR games to it.

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

7 hours ago, SharpeXB said:

In my industry, architecture and construction, I could have imagined VR just being the thing. And for a short time in 2017-2020  it got some attention. You can go walk around the building with a client and just see everything like it’s completely real. Pretty amazing. We did this in room-scale in a big special VR room with the lighthouses and such. Today of course everything is built virtual before it’s built for real.  

But the hype died or so it seems for these reasons. First the pandemic made every meeting remote. In fact the last thing I did before everything was locked down was this VR meeting. Ironically VR has to be in-person due to all the hardware. Now it’s all Zoom, everything has gone virtual. Offices are gone and everyone works remote. People aren’t going to share headsets either, what a laugh to reflect on those days. And the company isn’t going to buy everyone a $500 headset let alone a $3,500 one. Then the tech is too complicated for remote users to set up themselves even if they all had their own headsets. And then of course all this software we would use is Windows based so an Apple headset is a no-go. And it amazes me that given the type of work I do and the tech industry clients I work with that they aren’t all enthused with this stuff. But nope, it’s gone. 

Agree there, with my background being in 3D videogames and engineering, I was considering an AR/VR startup a few years ago. Something stopped me pulling the trigger though, the tech wasn't quite there, then as you say, the pandemic changed everything.

Looking forward to trying the Vision Pro, but no way will I buy one, and everything in our house apart from our gaming PCs is Apple ecosystem.

- Michael

Intel Core i7 13700K | RTX 4070 | ASUS TUF Z690 | Pimax Crystal | Virpil/Warthog HOTAS

On 1/18/2024 at 9:49 PM, winghunter said:

It weighs between 500-600g so lighter than a Quest Pro, and about the same as a Quest 3

I saw slightly different weight specs

• Vision Pro weighs between 21.2 and 22.9 ounces, or 600 and 650 grams, depending on which light seal and headband you have.
  • The external battery weighs 353 grams

For comparison:

• Like 1

Ah yeah… the battery 😮

On 1/20/2024 at 12:20 AM, MichaelJWP15 said:

Agree there, with my background being in 3D videogames and engineering, I was considering an AR/VR startup a few years ago. Something stopped me pulling the trigger though, the tech wasn't quite there, then as you say, the pandemic changed everything.

Looking forward to trying the Vision Pro, but no way will I buy one, and everything in our house apart from our gaming PCs is Apple ecosystem.

Hi which games was you involved in a little off topic but interesting.

Why is his wife so happy to watch him ignoring her? 🤔 

IMG_1560.jpeg

She’s gonna stop smiling when she sees his eBay bill 😆

IMG_1561.jpeg

Edited by SharpeXB

14 hours ago, freehand said:

Hi which games was you involved in a little off topic but interesting.

Quite a long time ago now, but sci-fi sim games; Powerdrome, Subwar 2050, I-War/Independence War.. games sold in boxes with physical manuals, keyboard guides and maps 🙂 we coded our own 3d engines back then, always wanted to do VR support but it wasn't commercially viable back then. 

• Thanks 1

- Michael