Datalink error after update 19-12-2023

AndreNL

Dear, 

Since the update on Tuesday December 19, I am experiencing a problem with the data link. 
Me and my buddy use the datalink frequently and we are also very happy with it, but after the last update we both get the NAK message after sending something while everything functions normally. We both can send and we recive.
Also, tailwheel unlocks always appears after sending a message.

Not a big deal, but needs some attention.

Keep up the good work!!

Edited by AndreNL
  • Like 1

Well,

Can it be a server problem?? My buddy and I did join a other server. Did exact the same thing and we both didn't get the  NAK message.

Anyway, on both servers it works just fine. The only thing thats different is that on the first server we still get the NAK message.

Even if the mission creator didn't set up the datalink correctly, you can set it up in the cockpit. 

Only if the EPLRS command isn't set up in the mission editor, the the DL won't work.

i9 9900k, 64 Go RAM, RTX 4090, Warthog HOTAS Throttle & Stick, Saitek Combat Rudder, MFD Cougar, Trackir 5 Pro, Multipurpose UFC and Oculus Rift S (when I want some VR),

http://www.twitch.tv/zarma4074 /  https://www.youtube.com/user/Zarma4074 

Copy-of-DCS-A-10C-User-Bar-CMR-ConvertImage.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

This one is solved. We noticed that if you have 1 letter or digital wrong in the preset you will get a nak message. However, when the datalink presets are not exact the same the message will be send and recived with the nak message.

• ED Team
2 hours ago, AndreNL said:

This one is solved. We noticed that if you have 1 letter or digital wrong in the preset you will get a nak message. However, when the datalink presets are not exact the same the message will be send and recived with the nak message.

@AndreNL, could you be more specific? Precisely what part of the "preset" are you referring to that must be the same? You may have discovered some erroneous behavior under strange conditions, so I'm curious as to what you mean.

The radio frequency and wingman ID numbers must of course be the same for the messages to get through, but if you are referring to how the name of the Preset is displayed on the COM page or EUFD, then that should not matter nor cause a NAK.

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head

We often get the NAK message as well, but the data is received anyway.

We also notice in a multi-crew setting you will sometimes receive the same message twice.  And when you have a front-seater, adding aircraft to the preset using the Member Directory will result in two instances of the aircraft being added.

ED, have you been able to test with 4 players occupying 2 aircraft?

• Thanks 1

This story has taken another twist since today. My buddy and I did some testing today and we came up with the following: 

Inferno Syria server: No problem, everything works as it should. 
Inferno caucasus server: NAK message. 
Inferno mariana server: NAK message. 

We set up the data link on all three servers as follows:

We go to the COM page, we always use preset3 FM1 as data link channel. 
-We press "PRESET EDIT". And change the preset to: 
-Unit ID> wsl 
-call sign> wsl 

Then we press the FM button (at the top) and we change the frequency of FM1 and FM2 to 31,000 both left and right from the preset screen. 

Then we press "preset edit" again to return to the COM page. 
We then see that preset 3 has changed to WSL L3 FM1. 

But the frequency on the radio screen (above the MPD's) is not yet correct. 

We then press "MAN" --> FM1 FREQ --> and change the frequency to 31,000. 

For both of us, we enter our own Id's for our own Apache.

For me: call sign: wsl11  datalink 1

Buddy: call sign : wsl12 datalink 1

Summary:

On the Syra server we have no problems, and on the other 2 we both get NAK message. Maybe it's a server issue or a map issue.

If it's really needed, we can make a video of it.

Edited by AndreNL

• ED Team
53 minutes ago, AndreNL said:

Then we press "preset edit" again to return to the COM page. 
We then see that preset 3 has changed to WSL L3 FM1. 

But the frequency on the radio screen (above the MPD's) is not yet correct. 

We then press "MAN" --> FM1 FREQ --> and change the frequency to 31,000. 

When you edit a Preset's frequency, you will need to re-tune that preset with the updated frequency into the FM1. Select that preset on the COM page so you get the radios along the top row, select FM1, set TUNE on the bottom to PRI, and then press SC under the TUNE FM1 bracket. (These steps are illustrated in the DCS AH-64D EA guide in the Radio Communications chapter)

Going to the MAN page to enter a frequency manually tunes the radio, which cannot work with datalink.

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head

@Raptor9

I did as you indicate, and when I press COM and then MAN, I see that the frequency has indeed already changed as I set it in the preset. I'll check tomorrow to see if this was the problem. But at the bottom line, something is not right. We managed it with the wrong way and we didn't encounter any problems in the Syria folder....???

• ED Team
19 minutes ago, AndreNL said:

I did as you indicate, and when I press COM and then MAN, I see that the frequency has indeed already changed as I set it in the preset.

Since I don't know what you are doing precisely, it is difficult to troubleshoot reliably to know if you are using the correct procedure. But, if you are intending to use the datalink in the AH-64D, you should not be interacting with the COM>MAN sub-page at all. Using the manual tuning functions on the MAN sub-page will prevent datalink from working; you must use the Preset tuning methods described in the Early Access Guide.

DCS Rotor-Head

@Raptor9

I did as you indicate, and when I press COM and then MAN, I see that the frequency has indeed already changed as I set it in the preset. I'll check tomorrow to see if this was the problem. But at the bottom line, something is not right. We managed it with the wrong way and we didn't encounter any problems in the Syria folder....???

Roger, we gonna try it this afternoon. If we still have the NAK message we gonna make a video from both sides at the same time.🫡

We tried as instructed. We still have the NAK message. For the rest, the data link works fine. We're going to make videos of the two of us recorded at the same time. . Step by step to see what we are doing wrong.

First video, the second will follow. Maybe this one is enough to see what we are doing wrong?

Edited by AndreNL
Got the link for de second video.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZknsTu4d6k

On 1/25/2024 at 11:19 PM, Raptor9 said:

Since I don't know what you are doing precisely, it is difficult to troubleshoot reliably to know if you are using the correct procedure. But, if you are intending to use the datalink in the AH-64D, you should not be interacting with the COM>MAN sub-page at all. Using the manual tuning functions on the MAN sub-page will prevent datalink from working; you must use the Preset tuning methods described in the Early Access Guide.

@Raptor9,

Both video's are online, if nothing is wrong with our configuration then maybe it's a idea to test it with someone from your team on the server where we recorded the videos?

Edited by AndreNL

• 2 weeks later...