F-16C DATALINK broken on specific mission after beta update december 19th 2023 version.

Falken2
Go to solution Solved by Falken2,

On 12/27/2023 at 2:13 AM, Falken2 said:

I think everything is in the title. Very simple Team members are the AWACS and wingman. Nothing on HSD.

hello. please post more info. mission, track, DCS.LOG. more clues can be derived from more information. this does not seem to be a global issue or the forums would be blowing up. also posting in a specific AC forum can help things.

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

I might be able to provide some more information.  I tested the data link on a quick stand alone mission that I created in the ME, and the data link worked OK.  But I have been playing missions generated with DCS Liberation, and with both version 9.0.0 and 10.0.0 of DCS Liberation, I have not been seeing any data link tracks, though yesterday I found a way to correct this (keep reading).

First, - I have examined the DCS Liberationo next_turn.miz file in the mission editor, and all of the data link information in the data link tab for the various groups seem to be correct.  That is, the FC, MC, and SC fields are set to 1, the STN's are there, and everything looks good.  But in the mission, after performing a full INS alignment and powering up the data link, I do not see any data link tracks, and the MC, FC, and SC fields are all 0.  I can not change any of them.  On the Net Status page the GPS time field is "on" and the GPS sync field is blank.

I recently found that, if I toggle the GPS time field to "off", then suddenly the data link starts working, the sync field says "syncing" (or something like that) for a moment, and then it changes to a status of "fine".  I can then turn the GPS time field back to "on" and the data link seems to work.

I'm using the latest Beta build.  I can provide more info if necessary.

Edited by mdmasters
clarity
  • Thanks 1

On 12/31/2023 at 5:25 AM, Badbone said:

Training lesson 8: AIM 120 with TWS & Link 16

hello. i do not seem to have this mission. can you attach?

7 hours ago, mdmasters said:

I might be able to provide some more information.  I tested the data link on a quick stand alone mission that I created in the ME, and the data link worked OK.  But I have been playing missions generated with DCS Liberation, and with both version 9.0.0 and 10.0.0 of DCS Liberation, I have not been seeing any data link tracks, though yesterday I found a way to correct this (keep reading).

First, - I have examined the DCS Liberationo next_turn.miz file in the mission editor, and all of the data link information in the data link tab for the various groups seem to be correct.  That is, the FC, MC, and SC fields are set to 1, the STN's are there, and everything looks good.  But in the mission, after performing a full INS alignment and powering up the data link, I do not see any data link tracks, and the MC, FC, and SC fields are all 0.  I can not change any of them.  On the Net Status page the GPS time field is "on" and the GPS sync field is blank.

I recently found that, if I toggle the GPS time field to "off", then suddenly the data link starts working, the sync field says "syncing" (or something like that) for a moment, and then it changes to a status of "fine".  I can then turn the GPS time field back to "on" and the data link seems to work.

I'm using the latest Beta build.  I can provide more info if necessary.

hello. thanks for the detail. this definitely gives clues to the problem.

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

• Solution
On 12/30/2023 at 4:20 PM, silverdevil said:

hello. please post more info. mission, track, DCS.LOG. more clues can be derived from more information. this does not seem to be a global issue or the forums would be blowing up. also posting in a specific AC forum can help things.

The mission is "Turn off the light" which is provided when you have the F-16C module and the persian gulf map.

I tried mdmasters trick and it works : "I toggle the GPS time field to "off", then suddenly the data link starts working, the sync field says "syncing" (or something like that) for a moment, and then it changes to a status of "fine".  I can then turn the GPS time field back to "on" and the data link seems to work."

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Falken2 said:

The mission is "Turn off the light" which is provided when you have the F-16C module and the persian gulf map.

i looked for this mission and miz and do not have it. i have all the maps and the F-16.

but i guess since you found the culprit i do not need to test.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/5/2024 at 10:52 PM, silverdevil said:

i looked for this mission and miz and do not have it. i have all the maps and the F-16.

The file name is actually : "F-16C - Persian Gulf - Turn Off the Lights.miz"

The path on my PC is : "C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Mods\aircraft\F-16C\Missions\Single"

And yes, we found a way to correct th problem. Which reminds of the british TV show "The IT crowd" and it's famous quote : "Have you tried to turn it off and on again ?"

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Falken2 said:

The file name is actually : "F-16C - Persian Gulf - Turn Off the Lights.miz"

The path on my PC is : "C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Mods\aircraft\F-16C\Missions\Single"

And yes, we found a way to correct th problem. Which reminds of the british TV show "The IT crowd" and it's famous quote : "Have you tried to turn it off and on again ?"

Ha! Hopefully the corrective action gets to the devs.