Differences in Carrier landings between single and multiplayer environments

IceyJones

hi all

until this day im mostly on multiplayer servers, either doing coop or pvp missions with friends. but now i start to do more and more single player stuff like campaigns (like the great ones from baltic dragon).

and i noticed VASTLY different behaviors of my f-18 hornet when doing arrested landings on a moving carrier.

i trained landings on our own MP server and im able to do mostly OK landings in variable conditions. slow carrier, much wind, fast carrier, less wind. various trap weights.

BUT in the SP campaigns, i struggle MASSIVELY. its because here in SP the plane floats up like CRAZY when coming over the deck!

in some occasions its so bad, that i dont even touch down in time even when cutting power to idle! its so bad, and VASTLY different to anything i experienced in MP!

any other with similar observations!?

Edited by IceyJones

On 12/29/2023 at 9:33 PM, IceyJones said:

hi all

until this day im mostly on multiplayer servers, either doing coop or pvp missions with friends. but now i start to do more and more single player stuff like campaigns (like the great ones from baltic dragon).

and i noticed VASTLY different behaviors of my f-18 hornet when doing arrested landings on a moving carrier.

i trained landings on our own MP server and im able to do mostly OK landings in variable conditions. slow carrier, much wind, fast carrier, less wind. various trap weights.

BUT in the SP campaigns, i struggle MASSIVELY. its because here in SP the plane floats up like CRAZY when coming over the deck!

in some occasions its so bad, that i dont even touch down in time even when cutting power to idle! its so bad, and VASTLY different to anything i experienced in MP!

any other with similar observations!?

It is most likely (I'm speculating, but I'm approx 80% sure) because Wake turbulence is enabled in the missions where you're struggling. I suggest you disable it for now. While some aspects of the effect are really nice, there are a couple of massive problems with it. One is the thing you're experiencing. Another one is the extreme amount of time it takes to fade away, even making ordinary (multiple aircraft) overhead breaks dangerous.

Hopefully ED solves the carrier issues, and implements two sliders for wake turbulence intensity and duration.

Edited by Bankler
  • Like 1

Am 31.12.2023 um 20:28 schrieb Flappie:

Please ensure Game Flight Mode is not enabled.

image.png

its not enabled.

Am 6.1.2024 um 01:54 schrieb Bankler:

It is most likely (I'm speculating, but I'm approx 80% sure) because Wake turbulence is enabled in the missions where you're struggling. I suggest you disable it for now. While some aspects of the effect are really nice, there are a couple of massive problems with it. One is the thing you're experiencing. Another one is the extreme amount of time it takes to fade away, even making ordinary (multiple aircraft) overhead breaks dangerous.

Hopefully ED solves the carrier issues, and implements two sliders for wake turbulence intensity and duration.

the missions are the two raven one campaigns

Keep in mind missions in scripted campaigns, multiplayer, even some training ones can and often do override your own realism/gameplay and special options.

I don't know this campaign, but forced turbulence effects are the most plausible culprit.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

i could look into one of those missions to check. do you have an advice in wich option i shall look?

vor 19 Stunden schrieb Art-J:

Keep in mind missions in scripted campaigns, multiplayer, even some training ones can and often do override your own realism/gameplay and special options.

I don't know this campaign, but forced turbulence effects are the most plausible culprit.

That pitch up as you reach the boat is for sure wake turbulence. Disable "Wake turbulence" and enable "No force from mission, use mine" and see if the problem is solved. Be aware that forcing your own options may break whatever the mission designer had in mind...

Screenshot 202401144951.jpg