Bankler's CASE 1 Recovery Trainer

Bankler

BanklersCase1RecoveryTrainer_1024_200.png

Now with F-14B Tomcat and Supercarrier support!

What is this, an interactive CASE 1 trainer?

Yes! I made this mission with the intent to make it easier and more fun to practice your skills around the boat. CASE 1 recoveries are one of those things that most sim pilots (that are into somewhat realistic naval flying) want to get proficient in, but it can sometimes be tedious to practice it.

The scoring system has been developed with guidance from Lex (former F/A-18 pilot and US Navy flight instructor).

How does it work?

The mission spawns you 10nm behind the boat (there are also slots for cold start and cat if you’d prefer). As you fly over the trailing ship, the “pass” starts. Approach the carrier from behind and do all the pattern stuff (break, downwind, final turn and a trap/bolter). The mission will track your flying at certain points and give you a score on each point, as well as some real-time feedback. For instance, it tracks if you’re on the right altitude, if you’re on-speed, and how far from the boat you are when abeam.

After a trap (or bolter, or even a wave-off), you’ll get a summary on how well you performed in each section of the pattern, as well as a final score, where 75/75 is maximum. It will also tell you what wire you got.

Practice and track the progress

To restart the pattern, you simply fly back south to the trailing ship. The mission will tell you that you’re welcome back for another pass. In other words, don’t fly straight into the pattern. Instead always perform full CASE 1 recovery breaks and patterns (that’s the whole point of this practice mission).

The mission will also keep a little list containing the score of all your passes of the sortie, so you can see if you’re making progress.

Multiplayer!

Finally, there’s multiplayer support. You can launch the mission with your friends or squadron mates, and the mission will track everyone’s progress separately. Maybe you can even use it to host a CASE 1 recovery competition in your squadron? :thumbup:

Final words

I’m eager to hear your feedback so I can make adjustments and provide updates based on it. There might of course be smaller bugs and such, just let me know!

If this tool helped anyone out, or at least you had a good time with it, I’d LOVE to hear from you!

If you’re not already aware how to perform the CASE 1 recovery, I recommend watching this:

• Jabbers’ excellent video covering the basics:

Many thanks to FlightControl (for Moose), Grimes (for Mist) and Lex and Gregory Brett (for patiently answering all my geek questions), as well as the Master Arms community and everyone who helped out with play testing! Also big thanks to Matt Geders and Funkyfranky!

DOWNLOAD 7.3.0

Pick the version with your favorite boat: Legacy carrier or Supercarrier. There is also a version that supports the T-45C mod.

Supercarrier version:

Bankler's Case 1 Recovery Trainer_v07-30_Supercarrier.miz

Supercarrier / T-45C version:

Bankler's Case 1 Recovery Trainer_v07-30_Supercarrier_T-45C.miz

Legacy Carrier version:

Bankler's Case 1 Recovery Trainer_v07-30_LegacyCarrier.miz

Edited by Bankler
  • Like 27
  • Thanks 20

Change log

* Updated Moose, in order to get the mission working again after ED's scripting changes.
* Changed overhead tanker TACAN band to Y.

* Fixed Pattern Mode.
* Implemented support for <profanity> Hot Break.
* Carrier is now slightly slower on its north leg, and there is a little natural wind.
* Added minor turbulence.
* Added ice halo.
* Increased number of chaff in Hornets from 30 to 60.

* The score summary is now written to dcs.log.
* The score summary (with a date and time) is now also optionally written to a file Logs/BanklersCase1RecoveryTrainer.log (requires desanitizing of os, ios and lfs lua modules in MissionScripting.lua).
* Fixed auto cockpit setup timing to account for new behavior where boxing TCN engages the A/P menu. This resolves the problem where the aircraft went into RALT A/P instead of disabling the HUD Time.
* Fixed minor problems with auto cockpit setup where some MFD buttons were left in the pressed state.
* Tomcats should now have the Carrier TCN set to default.
* The initial message is now much shorter.
* Airborne aircraft have been slightly moved in order to be properly lined up on the initial

* Added T-45C Goshawk version of the miz.
* Increased player slots from 32 to 44 (12 additional VFA-192 Hornets or TW-1 Goshawks depending on miz version).
* Adjusted weather for new DCS 2.7 weather system.
* Cockpit auto config now automatically lowers the hook if you start airborne.
* Cockpit auto config now automatically turns off the exterior lights switch.
* Changed Sidewinders from AIM-9M to AIM-9X on all Hornets.
* Increased fuel on Hornets starting at Batumi from 37% to 50%.
* Changed sidenumbers on almost every aircraft to be a little more realistic.
* All Tomcats now have 32% fuel and carry the AIM-9M on the outermost rails.
* Fixed skins on aircraft that had lost them with the new syntax in which skins are saved in missions.
* Removed Hueys that could be used for legacy LSO stuff.
* Updated Moose version.
* AWACS and Tanker now respawn if the are shot down or run out of gas.
* Tanker now uses Moose overhead tanker system, making sure it's always over the carrier.

* Added AWACS aircraft.

* Changed the wording for ideal altitude at the ninety from "450" to "450-500" (you have always gotten full score for anything between 450 and 500, but the wording was confusing).

* Added "Settled" and "Extended Downwind" to the summary shown to all players.

* Fixed bug where Tomcat pilots didn't get any groove time score.

* Changed sidenumbers on all aircraft.

* Changed callsign format from "Chevy 1-1" to "Chevy11".

* Adjusted the carrier group formation to avoid getting stuck in the turn while turning back south.

* There are now two different versions of the mission. The Supercarrier version and the Legacy Carrier version.

* Implemented Supercarrier support.

* Comms F10 menu put into separate submenu. Other -> Bankler's CASE 1 Training.

* Added feature to disable in-flight feedback (you will only get the summary after the pass in this mode).

* Decreased the KC-135MPRS speed substantially.

* Now compatible with 2.5.6 version (changed script launch to "Mission Start" instead of "Once").

* Tweaked carrier group formation so that the ships don't interfere with each other when group turns back south resulting in a halt.

* Fixed bug where if you enabled "Public Feedback" through the F10 menu you would also toggle the LSO Voice, and vice versa.

* Removed unused speed boat.

* You can now use the F10 radio menu to Reactivate TACAN in case the "random TACAN death" bug should happen.

* Replaced the KC-130 with a KC-135MPRS as a workaround as the bugged KC-130 stopped the mission from loading.

* Changed the tanker route into using a race track waypoint.

* You can now use the F10 radio menu to enable "Pattern Mode" where you don't need to go back to initial for every pass, but can turn straight to downwind after takeoff. In this mode 63 is max score.

* You can now use the F10 radio menu to enable Public Feedback. This print all aircraft feedback steps to all players. This is useful when instructing another player.

* Added lineup checks. You can now get score deductions for flying too far from centerline. 75/75 (in break mode) is still max score.

* Implemented settle-checks. If you have a very high sink rate crossing the ramp, you will get -10 points for settling.

* Changed order of flights and gave them unique flight numbers (Chevy1, Colt2 etc).

* Fixed bug where groove time score was wrong if you had an extremely short groove (less than 6 seconds).

* Fixed bug where the summary wasn't always shown when running hi-res VR like Odyssey+.

* Removed some of the static aircraft from the deck to increase performance, and since they don't sync that well in MP.

* Added score for each step in the summary.

* Fixed bug where you didn't receive AOA score with Tomcat.

* Changed algorithm deciding when to start groove timer to be more fair.

* Adjusted wire estimation slightly to eliminate some or all false-positive 3-wire estimations.

* Cleaned up realtime text feedback.

* Removed LSO text callouts (voice is still there!).

* On SP startup, automatically setting ICS (Jester) volume to 10%.

* Changed radio channel on Stennis to Ch 2 (264.00)

* Removed the config-folder that was unintentionally in the miz-file.

* Removed some unnecessary debug log stuff writing to dcs.log.

* Added Tomcat support (airborne, on catapult, cold start)

* Identifying if you're flying Hornet or Tomcat and adjusting required AOA and such to match the current aircraft.

* Added groove time measuring.

* Increased max score from 70 to 75 (because of groove time score).

* Adjusted overhead tanker pattern to make it fly smoother tracks.

* Changed Stennis TCN to 74X.

* Changed overhead KC-130 TCN to 37X.

* Fixed bug that caused some problems when restarting the mission.

* Changed the scoring system into a 70 pts system. The system is quite similar to the old one, but has tweaks in the allowed errors, and what score deductions are given for certain deviations. These new changes are based on feedback from Lex (former F/A-18 pilot and US Navy flight instructor) who has been very helpful.

* Made some tweaks to stand-still-on-deck handling, hopefully resulting in that it should be rare that you don't get score after getting pulled back by the wire.

* The script now allows you to fly a little wider than the 1.2 nm abeam recommendation (up to 1.4 nm) abeam, still giving a perfect score.

* After a trap, when you cut the power, the summary will now show up much faster than before.

* Added hint that you need to stay still for a little while after cutting the power, until the score shows up.

* You can now use the F10 radio menu to toggle the LSO feature on and off. For instance, you might want to turn it off if a player acts as the LSO.

* Moved the SAR helicopter to the right side of the ship, 1.0 nm away.

* Support for 20 players (8 players in Enfield and Ford flight can now start from Batumi in VFA-37 Hornets).

* Renamed the player slots to Chevy, Colt, Dodge, Enfield and Ford 1-1 through 1-4.

* The feedback will now print the players' names as well as their callsigns (Chevy 1-1 etc) to make it easier to see who's who in multiplayer.

* LSO should no longer give you feedback as you cross the wake, but wait until you're actually in the groove.

* The carrier's BRC is now 353 MAG (instead of 354MAG / 000 TRUE as before) as a workaround for the spooky DCS bug where you can't connect to some cat shuttles if the carrier is going straight north.

* Tanker radio is now on Ch 19 (253.00) as per Gregory Brett's recommendation.

* Script will no longer start running if you pass over the trailing ship above 1300 ft (solves the issue where it could trigger when you were flying in the overhead stack).

* Pattern will now get aborted if you ever go above 2000 ft.

* After the carrier turns south (which is after 4 hrs or so), the new BRC stated as you fly over the trailing ship will now say 173 instead of 353.

* Added grading for all the groove parts (start, middle, in-close, ramp), so you can now get up to 200 points for a pass.

* Corrected some LSO calculations.

* Added rudimentary LSO voice calls. This is a work-in-progress but at least adds a little to the immersion. Thanks for the advice and the recordings, Lex (former F/A-18 pilot)!

* Added a little sound effect to confirm that you have reached the trailing ship and you are welcome to start the next pass.

* Fixed a bug where the auto-cockpit-setup procedure left some buttons on the UFC in the pressed state, sometimes causing weird aircraft behavior.

* Removed four of the static aircraft on deck to make more room for player aircraft.

* Removed MIST dependency.

* For SP (and for the host in MP) the cockpit is now automatically setup when you start the mission (not after changing slot). You still need to lower the hook, and tweak the radar alt settings as you require.

* Allowing more distance from the boat when upwind, which should eliminate some uncalled-for aborts.

* Now looking at the glideslope angle, rather than the altitude when determining how well you perform when entering the groove. Aim for 3.5 degree glideslope instead of 300 feet altitude.

* Moved the ships on the port and starboard side of the carrier farther out, so you don't get into the habit of using them as visual cues.

* Implemented rudimentary LSO callouts in the groove (text only for now).

* The boat will now turn and go back south after around 4 hours, making the mission suitable for hosted MP servers. (Thanks funkyfranky for the assistance!)

* Moved the whole mission further east, so you can see some land in the distance as you fly.

* Renamed Upwind to Break Entry.

First release

Downloads

v 7.2.0: 2204 SC / 519 T-45 / 417 Legacy

v 7.1.0: 3405 SC / 737 T-45 / 700 Legacy

v 7.0.0: 3209 SC / 930 T-45 / 804 Legacy

v 6.1.0: 1895 SC / 648 Legacy

v 6.0.0: 1203 SC / 504 Legacy

v 5.2.0: 1377

v 5.1.0: 421

v 5.0.0: 1193

v 4.2.0: 984

v 4.1.0: 947

v 4.0.0: 633

v 3.0.0: 1165

v 2.2.0: 274

v 2.1.0: 241

v 2.0.0: 387

v 1.0.0: 635

Edited by Bankler
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 5

Thanks a lot, will try it out today .. currently I can do the case 1 sucessfully, but the scoring aspect of your mission seems very interesting and I'm sure it will help me to improve on my recovery "style" :)

Best regards

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

thanks - ill give it a go when

i get home :)

Custom built W10 Pro 64Bit, Intel Core i9 9900k, Asus ROG Maximus Code XI Z390, 64GB DDR4 3200 RGB, Samsung 1TB NVme M.2 Drive, Gigabyte AORUS 2080TI, 40" Iiyama Display. Wacom Cintiq Pro 24, HOTAS Virpil T50 Stick / FA-18C TM Stick and Virpil T50 Throttle, MFG Crosswind Graphite Pedals. HP Reverb

SPECTER

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Lead Terrain Developer / Texture Artist

Cool stuff, will check it out soon :) Thanks!

A warrior's mission is to foster the success of others.

i9-12900K | MSI RTX 3080Ti Suprim X | 128 GB Ram 3200 MHz DDR-4 | MSI MPG Edge Z690 | Samung EVO 980 Pro SSD | Virpil Stick, Throttle and Collective | MFG Crosswind | HP Reverb G2

RAT - On the Range - Rescue Helo - Recovery Tanker - Warehouse - Airboss

Excellent facility! If I have one very minor observation, it is that the flt deck is very crowded, making a quick exit a little difficult.

I have not yet found where the debrief is stored.

Flown it 3 times to date - scores between 60 and 97. So some way yet to go.

I can see this being very popular with our group.

Brilliant. This is a big step from just trapping.

Now I can see how well I performed and horn my skill forward from the results.

Thank a lot.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

Thanks I like it. And here is my surprising too me my first attempt.

I am happy with it.

Screen_181002_113233.thumb.jpg.f33344a2d566659e57ad144d84bd8c0d.jpg

Intel core I9 10900K 3.7 ghz

Asrock Z490 Extreme4

G-SKill Ripjaws V 32GB

Cooler Master 120m

GTX 980 Superclocked

Corsair AX850w psu

Samsung 1 T M.2 2 X 850 ssd's

Sony 48 in HD TV

Trackir 5

Hotas Warthog F/A-18C Hornet Grip

Logitech Pro Peddles

Windows 10 64

Tested and approved!

LOMAC, FC, DCS, AV-8B, F/A-18, F-16, AH-64, Super Carrier, Persian Gulf, Syria.

i7 12700K, 4070 Ti PNY XLR8 OC, 64 RAM DDR4 3200, B660M Aorus Pro, 1T NVMe Kingston Fury Renegade (DCS), 1T NVMe Kingston NV2 (OS), ASUS QHD 31,5" VG32VQ1B, VKB Gladiator Pro (metal gimbal) + Kosmosima grip, CH Pro Throttle, TIR 5.

Thanks for the efforts...excited to try this later!

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | ASUS Crosshair Hero X670E | 64GB G Skill Trident Z DDR5 6000 | Nvidia RTX 4090 FE| Samsung EVO Plus 6 TB M.2 PCIe SSDs | TM Hornet Stick/WinWing Hornet Throttle and MIP | VPC T-50 Stick Base | TM TPR Rudder Pedals W/Damper | Varjo Aero/Pimax Crystal

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

Carrier Strike Group One(CSG-1) Discord

Awesome, just came across this. Definitely will check her out and report back. thank you for creating this!

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control