Lua changes needed to export RWR ?

Go to solution Solved by LeCuvier,

Can someone walk me through the process of lua editing needed to export the F-16 RWR to a seperate monitor ?
I've read through one thread that describes it, but I still can't figure out what I should be editing and where the file is. Imagine you are explaining this to a bright 4 year old.
I know it'll break IC, but I don't care about that.

---------------------------------------------------------

PC specs:- Intel 386DX, 2mb memory, onboard graphics, 14" 640x480 monitor

Modules owned:- Bachem Natter, Cessna 150, Project Pluto, Sopwith Snipe

The F-16 RWR can be exported, but it has the same shortcomings as the F/A-18C RWR export:
The export shows only the luminous symbols. It does not show the static lines of the RWR. See attached screenshot.
Note: the blurred appearance of the Mig-29 indication is caused by 2 Mig's flying in formation. Otherwise, the xport is crisp.

If you think that it's worth it I can provide the information how to do it.

F-16 RWR Export.JPG

• Like 1

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

8 minutes ago, Raisuli said:

Hopefully after this weekend the lack of a reticle won't be a problem anymore

???

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

23 minutes ago, LeCuvier said:

???

My simpit went in for a D, or maybe even an E or F, check on December 10th.  When it comes out it will have an RWR reticle on the 4th MFD.  Basically using the same computer and monitor, everything else got updated and rebuilt.  Plan to start wiring the weekend, if all goes well it's back in the air on Sunday and I'll re-export the RWRs.

5 hours ago, LeCuvier said:

The F-16 RWR can be exported, but it has the same shortcomings as the F/A-18C RWR export:
The export shows only the luminous symbols. It does not show the static lines o the RWR. See attached screenshot.
Note: the blurred appearance of the Mig-29 indication is caused by 2 Mig's flying in formation. Otherwise, the xport is crisp.

If you think that it's worth it I can provide the information how to do it.

Yes, please do that. The absence of a graticule isn't a problem, I can make one of those.
Remember, like you are speaking to a bright 4 year old 😄
I already know about Notepad++ though 😉

• Solution
Posted (edited)

I'm a lazy fellow. Therefore, instead of writing a very long post about the basic process, I attach a how-to document I wrote mostly for myself. Please read through this and I hope it makes sense to you! It's somewhat complex as you need to add a .lua file for the monitor configuration, and make entries in Options/System that essentially allocate the real estate on your monitor(s), plus appropriate Windows display settings.

The basic process as described in the document works perfectly for those displays that ED has enabled for export, like the MFD's. ED apparently think that the RWR is not worth exporting and therefore have not made provision for it. So we need to add a few lines into the file "RWR_ALR56_init.lua" located under "DRIVE:\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\aircraft\F-16C\Cockpit\Scripts\EWS\RWR\indicator". When you open the file with Notepadd++ you will see these lines at the beginning:

dofile(LockOn_Options.common_script_path.."devices_defs.lua")

indicator_type = indicator_types.COMMON

shaderLineParamsUpdatable  = true
shaderLineDefaultThickness = 0.8
shaderLineDefaultFuzziness = 0.4
shaderLineDrawAsWire 	   = false
shaderLineUseSpecularPass  = true

and so forth...

Add these lines below "indicator_type = indicator_types.COMMON":

------------------------ added by HWF
dofile(LockOn_Options.common_script_path.."ViewportHandling.lua")
try_find_assigned_viewport("RWR")
------------------------ end of added by HWF

So now the file looks like this:

dofile(LockOn_Options.common_script_path.."devices_defs.lua")

indicator_type = indicator_types.COMMON
------------------------ added by HWF
dofile(LockOn_Options.common_script_path.."ViewportHandling.lua")
try_find_assigned_viewport("RWR")
------------------------ end of added by HWF

shaderLineParamsUpdatable  = true
shaderLineDefaultThickness = 0.8
shaderLineDefaultFuzziness = 0.4
shaderLineDrawAsWire 	   = false
shaderLineUseSpecularPass  = true

This makes the RWR available for export.
Edit: Remember that ED will replace this file with the original when you update or repair, so be sure you keep a backup for the modified file. Plus a backup of the original file of course.

Next, you have to create your monitor config file, and the detail depends on what you want to see on your screens. I used the attached file "Camera+LMFCD+RWR.lua" under "C:\Users\USER_NAME\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Config\MonitorSetup" to test the export.

I realize this is a bit of a stretch for a 4-year old 😃, so just take it step by step and let me know if you get stuck somewhere!

DCS MultiMonitor Setup.pdf Camera+LMFCD+RWR.lua

Edited by LeCuvier
  • Thanks 3

LeCuvier

4 minutes ago, LeCuvier said:

I'm a lazy fellow. Therefore, instead of writing a very long post about the basic process, I attach a how-to document I wrote mostly for myself. Please read through this and I hope it makes sense to you! It's somewhat complex as you need to add a .lua file for the monitor configuration, and make entries in Options/System that essentially allocate the real estate on your monitor(s), plus appropriate Windows display settings.

I realize this is a bit of a stretch for a 4-year old 😃, so just take it step by step and let me know if you get stuck somewhere!

DCS MultiMonitor Setup.pdf 1.15 MB · 0 downloads Camera+LMFCD+RWR.lua 643 B · 0 downloads

I've only given that a quick scan, but it looks comprehensible enough that I can go try it out. You get the coveted "Solution" tag, thanks awfully old chap 😉

Tested and working, thanks again 🙂

in my case as soon as I declare the RWR in my multi screen lua file, following the above procedure, my multi screen lua files gets deleted from the list of LUA files DCS sees from the UI .Just like I reported there:

If I remove my lines for exporting "RWR" from the multiscreen lua files, then at next boot DCS sees my multi screen lua file again
but as soon as I declare RWR I'm toast

I feel DCS really does not want you to export it  🙂
honestly though I dropped trying exporting the RWR when I fought that issue a few days ago.
I tried this morning again following this topic procedure and I hit the exact same issue again.

Don't know why it seems to work for some but not for me in any way

Edited by Red Dog

Have a Bandit Day

Red Dog

[sIGPIC]

http://www.ravico.com/ST/perso/Sig_generale.png

[/sIGPIC]

34 minutes ago, Red Dog said:

...If I remove my lines for exporting "RWR" from the multiscreen lua files, then at next boot DCS sees my multi screen lua file again
but as soon as I declare RWR I'm toastI

This is exactly what happens if you have a syntax error in the modified LUA file. The file just seems to disappear.
If you send me your modified file via PM I'll look at it. Maybe I can see what's wrong.

LeCuvier

1 hour ago, LeCuvier said:

This is exactly what happens if you have a syntax error in the modified LUA file. The file just seems to disappear.
If you send me your modified file via PM I'll look at it. Maybe I can see what's wrong.

Correct and make sure the name in the monitor.lua file and the name in the RWR.lua file are identical. Also make sure that the RWR.lua file is modified, so that it can be exported

Edited by Falconeer

Planes:                                      Choppers:                                       Maps:

• Flaming Cliffs 3                      Black Shark 2                                 Syria
  • A-10C Tank killer 2                Black Shark 3                                 Persian Gulf
  • F/A18C Hornet                       AH-64 Apache                               Mariana's
  • F-16C Viper   
  • F-15E Strike Eagle                   
  • Mirage 2000C
  • AJS-37 Viggen
  • JF-17 Thunder
  • F-14 Tomcat