Can you use the Lantern pod to designate ground targets for CMPTR TGT?

Indianajon

Hi all, I wonder if someone can help. I have watched the tutorials by Jabbers and gone through the manual but still confused. 

My plan is that I would like to loft some bombs at a target protected by SAMs from the front seat. My first thought was to find it with the Lantern, designate and then get low and loft. Is there anyway of doing this with Jester? Or do you need a real RIO? Is it a tech limitation as the Lantern is a separate system does it not send any data to the aircraft? Does the pilot need to still manually get the diamond in place and designate first? 

Any help would be gratefully received, thanks in advance.

25 minutes ago, Indianajon said:

it a tech limitation as the Lantern is a separate system does it not send any data to the aircraft?

Bingo. In our version of the Tomcat the LANTIRN can't interact with the jet. If you really want to loft, you would need to visually designate the target using the HUD, get jester to point the pod at the target, fly the CMPT TGT cues, and then have jester lase at the appropriate time.

Essentially you're doing the attack twice at the same time. Not impossible, but a bit impractical with jester

• Thanks 1

On 1/5/2024 at 7:49 PM, near_blind said:

If you really want to loft, you would need to visually designate the target using the HUD, get jester to point the pod at the target, fly the CMPT TGT cues, and then have jester lase at the appropriate time.

Essentially you're doing the attack twice at the same time. Not impossible, but a bit impractical with jester

I find CMPT IP better suited for low level loft attacks as you don't have to visually acquire the target that way and thus don't have to expose yourself prior to bomb release.

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

2 hours ago, QuiGon said:

I find CMPT IP better suited for low level loft attacks as you don't have to visually acquire the target that way and thus don't have to expose yourself prior to bomb release.

can you share a tip on how to fly in on a CPTR IP target?

i saw a video somewhere on entering a way point as an offset.. but does this method show you how to come (direction wise) from the target?

i hate to set an offset south of a target, but if i come in from east to loft, bomb would end up west?

or if you have a method using CPTR IP, please share!

Edited by hannibal

find me on steam! username: Hannibal_A101A

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197969447179

5 hours ago, hannibal said:

can you share a tip on how to fly in on a CPTR IP target?

i saw a video somewhere on entering a way point as an offset.. but does this method show you how to come (direction wise) from the target?

i hate to set an offset south of a target, but if i come in from east to loft, bomb would end up west?

or if you have a method using CPTR IP, please share!

It's actually pretty simple. In fact it works exactly the the same as CPTR TGT, except that you don't designate the target itself, but an offset, the so called IP. Where you put the IP is totally up to you. It should be some recognizable landmark though, like a recorgnizable building (e.g. a tower or a bridge) or a road intersection or a recognizable coastal feature. It has no direct impact on how you approach the target, although it makes sense to set up the IP in the direction from where you want to approach the target. It's not a must though.

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg