Need tank targeting help

franx
Go to solution Solved by franx,

I've been playing DCS since the beginning, but only very recently started trying out Combined Arms.  It looks and feels terrific, but I'm new at it with some basic questions.  I'm driving the Merkava IV tank, and I can't figure out why I can lock a target sometimes, but not others.  The other Merkavas in my platoon seem to lock and fire much earlier than I can.  Is it a range limitation?  What's the firing sequence of orders: rangefinder on, lock target, fire?  Do I need to use the laser?  When do I turn on target tracking?   Do I need to use the increase range command?  And what's the difference between rangefinder  and rangefinder combat?

Sorry for the newbie questions.  Any help much appreciated.  The manual is less than helpful.  

aka MadMonk; Windows 10, 64 bit, Radeon 6800XT gpu, Ryzen 5 5600 cpu, 32 gig ram; Samsung 2TB EVO SSD, Thrustmaster Warthog throttle and stick, Saitek combat rudder pedals; Oculus Rift.

• Solution

Many thanks draconus.  Yes, I found that video about a week ago.  The Grim Reapers' vids are very good.  I'm just baffled that DCS spent so little time on the CA instruction manual.  It's a great sim.  CA gets treated like the illegitimate child of Arma 3 and an F-15.

aka MadMonk; Windows 10, 64 bit, Radeon 6800XT gpu, Ryzen 5 5600 cpu, 32 gig ram; Samsung 2TB EVO SSD, Thrustmaster Warthog throttle and stick, Saitek combat rudder pedals; Oculus Rift.

• 2 months later...

The GR Video will get you started, but it teaches the shooting part "wrong" when using modern MBTs. I used quotes here, because it is not wrong in the context of DCS, but the Lock-On mechanics are just a DCS mechanic that has nothing to do with how tanks aim IRL and can be turned off by the server host. In the latter case, you are screwed, if you don't know how to do it correctly. Fortunately, DCS also supports the correct way of aiming.

You need three things for this:

1. Mouse Axis mode or a Joystick

2. Laser range finder key binding

3. Tracking mode key binding

For the hotkeys, you have to check your keybindings. I also can't tell you the exact names atm, since I didn't start DCS for a while now. However, the mouse axis mode enables your mouse cursor which is rendered as a red arrow that points away from the center of the screen. Your turret will now continiously turn into the direction of the arrow. The turning speed depends on how far the cursor is away from the center of the screen. This enables you to turn the turret with a constant speed. With this function, it is easy to keep reticle over a moving target. Alternatively, you can use a control stick to achieve the same.

The laser range finder measures the distance to the target under your reticle and automatically sets the gun elevation. So if you want to shoot a static target, just bring the reticle above it, lase, and fire. Super easy, no lock on needed. Be aware, that the laser range limitations depend on the tank and vary between 3000 and 5000 meters.

But how to hit moving targets? In this case, you need to enable "tracking mode". If active, you will see the words "tracking mode" blinking in green letters. If you now move the mouse and press fire, it will appear to you as if the gun goes crazy and fires at random places, but in reality, it calculates lead based on the current laser distance and rotation speed of the turret. If you maintain a constant rotation speed, lase, and press fire, you will see that that you reticle is more or less over the point of impact in the moment the projectile reaches its destination.

So how do we aim with this? Simply move the reticle over a moving target, adjust the rotation speed, so that it stays over it and moves at the same speed. Then lase and press fire. 

With some practise and some understanding how this method actually works, you can even shoot moving helicopters out of the air with slow moving heat projectiles. 😉

I even managed to hit A-10s under "lab conditions"

• Like 1

vor 50 Minuten schrieb Wychmaster:

The GR Video will get you started, but it teaches the shooting part "wrong" when using modern MBTs. I used quotes here, because it is not wrong in the context of DCS, but the Lock-On mechanics are just a DCS mechanic that has nothing to do with how tanks aim IRL and can be turned off by the server host. In the latter case, you are screwed, if you don't know how to do it correctly. Fortunately, DCS also supports the correct way of aiming.

You need three things for this:

1. Mouse Axis mode or a Joystick

2. Laser range finder key binding

3. Tracking mode key binding

For the hotkeys, you have to check your keybindings. I also can't tell you the exact names atm, since I didn't start DCS for a while now. However, the mouse axis mode enables your mouse cursor which is rendered as a red arrow that points away from the center of the screen. Your turret will now continiously turn into the direction of the arrow. The turning speed depends on how far the cursor is away from the center of the screen. This enables you to turn the turret with a constant speed. With this function, it is easy to keep reticle over a moving target. Alternatively, you can use a control stick to achieve the same.

The laser range finder measures the distance to the target under your reticle and automatically sets the gun elevation. So if you want to shoot a static target, just bring the reticle above it, lase, and fire. Super easy, no lock on needed. Be aware, that the laser range limitations depend on the tank and vary between 3000 and 5000 meters.

But how to hit moving targets? In this case, you need to enable "tracking mode". If active, you will see the words "tracking mode" blinking in green letters. If you now move the mouse and press fire, it will appear to you as if the gun goes crazy and fires at random places, but in reality, it calculates lead based on the current laser distance and rotation speed of the turret. If you maintain a constant rotation speed, lase, and press fire, you will see that that you reticle is more or less over the point of impact in the moment the projectile reaches its destination.

So how do we aim with this? Simply move the reticle over a moving target, adjust the rotation speed, so that it stays over it and moves at the same speed. Then lase and press fire. 

With some practise and some understanding how this method actually works, you can even shoot moving helicopters out of the air with slow moving heat projectiles. 😉

I even managed to hit A-10s under "lab conditions"

exactly that!

example: