Ground Radar

ContraStorm

I'd like to bring up a point that may have been mentioned before, but I believe it's worth addressing. When engaging Air-to-Ground (A/G) mode on the F/A-18, there's an automatic switch of radars that I find inconvenient.

Specifically, I suggest that Eagle Dynamics consider removing the automatic switch of the right DDI to Ground Radar when A/G mode is selected. Personally, I prefer the ability to manually change radars based on my needs. Typically, when I choose A/G mode, it's either to utilize A/G armaments, check my air-to-ground armaments, or configure them in-flight.

An additional issue arises when transitioning from the ATFLIR on my right DDI to A/G setup. The automatic switch to ground radar upon selecting A/G mode is not only undesired but also disruptive to the flow of my activities.

In summary, I propose the removal of this mechanic as it proves more annoying than beneficial. Having control over radar changes would enhance the overall user experience by eliminating unwanted interruptions during critical moments. 

• 3 weeks later...

One of the things I love about 4th-Gen jets is that they were originally designed before UI and UX were really a thing. Lotta goofy legacy work flows got established on these jets in the '80s and hung on.

The internet changed us, but it didn't change how MFDs worked -- not at the same speed, at any rate.

I love the "Seriously? WTF?" factor, and the "competing aerospace firm" work flows, and the "some engineer thought THIS was a good idea and never really got feedback and, oh well, it's in the software now and we're not looking for the code" stuff.

I'm sure the nifty "press the A/A or A/G button" automation made for a great presentation in like 1981 because whoever was signing the cheque had no idea what an SA page was.

Live the dream and try not to fat-finger too much. And remember, there's always the F-14 😉 (or the F-15E, if you want legit user-programmable MFDs).

Edited by Chaffee
  • Like 1

If you have not produced an official manual, it's costing you sales. I'm a writer and editor of more than 40 books (and tens of thousands of pages of documentation), so if you are struggling to finish your manual, DM me.