RTX Nvidia Graphics Card Upgrade??

I have a gtx960 4gig card in my system that runs dcs OK, but want to raise my FPS a little and iron it out to make it look better. I'm using an i5 that I haven't overclocked yet.

I was wondering if a 4060 etc would help without building a new rig yet. My mobo is 3x so I realise the nvidia card with run at that setting. Not sure which way to go as I run dcs at 1080p for my eyes.

Any info would be appreciated

You mention you're using an i5 but you don't say which i5 - this can vary a lot.  Intel made i5 processors across all 14 generations of their 'Core' CPUs, starting in 2009.  I do fully appreciate this isn't stuff everyone knows, but realistically it's necessary to know which i5 in order to give you a reasonably 'good' answer.

Also worth asking whether you're willing to consider used hardware or strictly new, since that will definitely affect your options.  If it's me, TBH - and going on no more than you've said so far, I'd be looking at a used GPU, and possibly upgrading to the best CPU your motherboard will accommodate.  Personally, I don't recommend dismissing used hardware out-of-hand, because there are excellent bargains to be had for less than new stuff will cost - and reputable sellers offer references, support, and warranty that rival or even exceed what new/retail sellers typically offer.

Next, and this is more gut instinct, you also don't mention how much/type RAM you have, and I can't help but wonder about that, in the larger context of upgrading your system.

Knowing what resolution your monitor is will also help determine a good graphics card choice.

One last thing, what type machine is this?  Is it a pre-built or store-bought (like from an online vendor or retail shop), or more of a generic, self-built machine?  Is it one of the 'name brands' (like Dell, for example)?  These factors can easily makes the difference between a machine that can double performance with easy, reasonably-priced upgrade parts...and a machine that has *zero* potential for upgrades at all.  What we're looking at here is things like how much capacity your power supply has, and what kind of internal space is available.  As an example, Dell built many (*many*) types of machines that were proprietary designs, and thus very limited where potential upgrades are concerned.

Good news is it's entirely possible you have a system that will support several key upgrades which could really change your experience in DCS considerably - without having to build a new rig.  But, in order to know, we have to take a much closer look at the system itself, to see what could be done with it.

I look forward to your responses 🙂

Edited by kksnowbear

Free professional advice: Do not rely upon any advice concerning computers from anyone who uses the terms "beast" or "rocking" to refer to computer hardware.  Just...don't.  You've been warned.

While we're at it, people should stop using the term "uplift" to convey "increase".  This is a technical endeavor, we're not in church or at the movies - and it's science, not drama.

Thanks for replying kksnowbear

It has been a few years since I built this rig. Not sure but cpu I5 6600k, 32gig sports ram. The reason I asked was because I am not sure if dcs is more cpu or gpu intensive. So far, I have no real problems until it comes to more explosions etc.

The problem is, I don't want to be buying something I might not need. If you have an endless budget, there is nothing to think about. I have a problem with my eyes and have to run it 1080p.

4 hours ago, tmansteve said:

It has been a few years since I built this rig. Not sure but cpu I5 6600k, 32gig sports ram. The reason I asked was because I am not sure if dcs is more cpu or gpu intensive. So far, I have no real problems until it comes to more explosions etc.

The problem is, I don't want to be buying something I might not need. If you have an endless budget, there is nothing to think about. I have a problem with my eyes and have to run it 1080p.

DCS 2.8 is either GPU intensive, or both GPU and CPU intensive, depending on mission complexity.
It is also very RAM intensive if you do Multiplayer (over 42GB of RAM and pagefile usage is not uncommon).

If you just want to swap the GPU and it really has to be brand new, then I think for your use case the RTX 3060 12GB is probably the best option.
It goes for about 290,00 USD/EUR/GBP (depending on model and where you get it).
It's an excelent GPU for 1080P, it's pretty good on power draw and temperatures, has good ammount of VRAM, and it's not at stupid high prices like other GPUs.
And may be still good enough to be usable later once you upgrade that system.

That said.....
I'm not sure how you feel about buying used hardware. I favor it because it can provide very good affordable solutions, or at least interim ones - untill one can afford that "latest and greatest" brand new complete system sometime later.

If you don't mind buying used items, there are deals on Ebay for the GTX 1080 8GB and RTX 2060 Super 8GB, at about 150,00 USD/EUR/GBP "Buy it Now" .
Just my opinion but, with that system, one of these two will still be valid, and a more inexpensive solution for you to game at 1080P resolution. 
Performance is more or less identical between GTX 1080 and RTX 2060 Super, but please note that the former, being older, does not have modern features like DLSS (which DCS can use) that the latter does have - it will sway purchase decisions towards the newer model.

In the same vein, but for CPUs, there are used item deals such as the i7 6700K (~50$) and i7 7700K (~90$), which are direct swap replacements in your system's motherboard.
Not sure what motherboard you got (Z170?) but it may require latest BIOS update for the i7 7700K. 
These are 4 core and 8 threads CPUs, will provide a bit more performance and smoother gameplay. Your i5 6600K is 4 cores and 4 threads only, and very limited at this point.

Edited by LucShep
  • Like 1

CGTC Caucasus retexture mod  |  A-10A cockpit retexture mod  |  Shadows reduced impact mod  |  DCS 2.5.6  (the best version for performance, VR or 2D)

DCS terrain modules_July23_27pc_ns.pngDCS aircraft modules_July23_27pc_ns.png  aka Luke Marqs; call sign "Ducko" =

Spoiler

Win10 Pro x64 | Intel i7 12700K (@5.1/5.0p + 3.9e) | 64GB DDR4 @3466 CL16 (Crucial Ballistix) | RTX 3090 24GB EVGA FTW3 Ultra | 2TB NVMe (MP600 Pro XT) + 500GB SSD (WD Blue) + 3TB HDD (Toshiba P300) + 1TB HDD (WD Blue) | Corsair RMX 850W | Asus Z690 TUF+ D4 | TR PA120SE | Fractal Meshify C | UAD Volt1 + Sennheiser HD-599SE | 7x USB 3.0 Hub | 50'' 4K Philips 7608/12 UHD TV (+Head Tracking) | HP Reverb G1 Pro (VR) | TM Warthog + Logitech X56 

I started with the i5 6600k and a 980ti, but since then DCS has gotten much more forgiving performance wise. So you don't need an ultra graphics card anymore for decent graphics and good FPS. I upgraded only slightly to a Ryzen 5 5500 and a 2080, but the difference was already immense (nearly full settings and 70-100 FPS at 2K). Especially with MT and DLSS afterwards. So I recommed getting at least a used RTX 2xxxx (2070 super has a good price/performance ratio, but also 2080) to experience the difference with DLSS/DLAA. You can upgrade your CPU/MB if you want, but it's not necessary, if you don't want to fly 4k/VR or heavy missions.  If new, 3060 (ti) is a good option.

I like this ranking list, which you can use for comparisons:

https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

This list shows that older graphic cards like 1080ti, 2080, etc. are still monsters compared to low-budget new graphic cards. So I`d never buy a cheap, new graphic card, but rather a used one in good condition.

PS: I've meanwhile downgraded to a 1080, because the 2080 wasn't really necessary and the 1080 with a bit of overclocking still has decent graphics and good FPS at 2K. But I miss the DLAA now, so I wouldn't recommend it.

Edited by TheFreshPrince

Many thanks Lucshep and Freshprince for your valued responses. It sure can be a minefield out there for a gpu that will do everything you want without overspending on something you will never use.

As I said in my post, I have a problem with my eyes through illness and cannot see me going to 2k as icons etc will be much smaller than 1080p. I will also be getting a slightly bigger monitor as well in the future but my 21inch seems to suffice for the moment. I don't mind buying new but spending too much for what I will not need is overkill.

You have given me some good pointers for me to ponder over and it will help me with my discission. 

Cheers

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

A 4060 will run DCS very well with 100+fps

System 1:

Windows 10 Pro 22H2 Build 19045.4123 - Core i7 3770K/Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3 (BIOS F-10)/32GB G-Skill Trident X DDR3 CL7-8-8-24/Asus RTX 2070 OC 8GB - drivers 551.61/LG Blue Ray DL Burner/1TB Crucial MX 500 SSD/(x2)1TBMushkinRAWSSDs/2TB PNY CS900 SSD/Corsair RM750w PSU/Rosewill Mid Challenger Tower/34" LG LED Ultrawide 2560x1080p/Saitek X56 HOTAS/TrackIR 5 Pro/Thermaltake Tt esports Commander Gear Combo/Oculus Quest 2/TM 2xMFD Cougar/InateckPCIeUSB3.2KU5211-R

System 2:

Windows 11 Home 23H2 22631.3527 - MSI Codex Series R2 B14NUC7-095US - i7 14700F/MSI Pro B760 VC Wifi/32GB DDR5 5600mhz RAM/RTX 4060/2TB nVME SSD/4TB 2.5in SSD/650w Gold PSU