Radar Warning Receiver

It's very useful and will save you from getting bounced. It is also worth binding the toggle for power, as you will sometimes receive nuisance warnings from friendlies or from ground returns below about 3,000' AGL.

When you first turn it on, I believe it has a timer and won't activate immediately (to prevent it from being activated by the ground returns shortly after departure).

• Like 1

On 1/24/2024 at 2:11 AM, Grumpy Moose said:

Radar Warning Receiver - Is it functional? Is it useful. Just mappin' some buttons and want to know if I should give it a pass. I clicked on the toggle switches but it didn't seam to do anything.

Just a small note: It's not a Radar Warning Receiver, as it doesn't passively receive foreign radar signals to warn you about them as RWRs do. It actually is a real radar that actively emits its own radar signals. So "Warning Radar" would be more appropriate.

• Like 3

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

The Rear Warning seems to work - at least on the ground. I turn on the battery, then its power switch and after ~3 minutes it starts ringing/light goes on.

But how does the test switch work? How can I test the bell and light without waiting for the system to actually detect something? I tried to hold the switch for longer time, still nothing. It's not doing anything for me.

Edited by virgo47

✈️ L-39, F-5E, F/A-18C, MiG-15, F-86F, C-101, FC3 🛩️ Yak-52, P-47, Spitfire 🚁 UH-1H, Ka-50 III 🗺️ NTTR, PG, SY, Chnl, Norm2 📦 Supercarrier, NS430, WWII 🕹️ VKB STECS+Gladiator/Kosmosima ▶️ DCS Unscripted YouTube

On 2/13/2024 at 11:46 AM, virgo47 said:

But how does the test switch work? How can I test the bell and light without waiting for the system to actually detect something? I tried to hold the switch for longer time, still nothing. It's not doing anything for me.

The test switch might not work at all. At least I don't see anything happening when I switch it nor is it's exact function described in the manual. It might even be something that is only relevant for maintenance by the ground crew :dunno:

• Like 1

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

For the test switch to work the a/c must be higher than 3000 ft. There seems to be a slight delay between pressing the switch and the lamp coming on. Very seldom can my ears pick up the ringing sound but I hope it comes on at the same time.,

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, slickdevel said:

For the test switch to work the a/c must be higher than 3000 ft. There seems to be a slight delay between pressing the switch and the lamp coming on. Very seldom can my ears pick up the ringing sound but I hope it comes on at the same time.,

Thanks for the info! My trial is over, but this can be tested with TF-51D as well - and you're right, in flight it works with just a tiny delay, no problem. I guess the Test switch works only after the radar is warmed up as well - which makes on the ground testing useless. Not sure why it's designed this way, I'd assume things are testable on the ground, but good to know anyway. 🙂 I just wanted to "test" the light (I know it works in DCS) just like any other light in the plane and that's how I got to it.

You're also right that the bell is VERY quiet during the actual flight. Good to know not to rely on it.

✈️ L-39, F-5E, F/A-18C, MiG-15, F-86F, C-101, FC3 🛩️ Yak-52, P-47, Spitfire 🚁 UH-1H, Ka-50 III 🗺️ NTTR, PG, SY, Chnl, Norm2 📦 Supercarrier, NS430, WWII 🕹️ VKB STECS+Gladiator/Kosmosima ▶️ DCS Unscripted YouTube

1 minute ago, virgo47 said:

I guess the Test switch works only after the radar is warmed up as well - which makes on the ground testing useless. Not sure why it's designed this way...

Valves. No solid state transistors in WW2. Any electronics of that period relies on thermionic valve (aka tube) technology, and these take time from power on to warm the filament up to operating temperature.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1