Vor instead Tacan navigation

lorfar
Go to solution Solved by razo+r,

Hi to all 

I purchase Syria map. On many airfield there aren't Tacan.

Can i set Vor frequency instead Tacan channel?

Thanks.

Lorenzo 

"I told Orville and i told Wilbur, that thing will never fly" The last fomous words

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Actually you can.  Do a search and you can find charts with VOR to TCN frequency conversion.  It works for the F-18 anyway.  So VOR of 135.5 is TCN 12X, 135.55 is TCN 12Y etc.  Works in almost all cases anyway.

• Like 1

• Solution
44 minutes ago, rob10 said:

Actually you can.  Do a search and you can find charts with VOR to TCN frequency conversion.  It works for the F-18 anyway.  So VOR of 135.5 is TCN 12X, 135.55 is TCN 12Y etc.  Works in almost all cases anyway.

Yes, you can do a conversion, but you still cannot enter a VOR frequency directly like OP asked. But even when doing the conversion, you should get the DME part only from the VOR station, but no steering/radial information.

Edited by razo+r
  • Like 1

Tacan and Many VOR share frequencies. For example: EL ARISH (113.60 ARH) VOR is Tacan 83X

I hope this chart helps. You can save and turn the pages anti clockwise to ease neck fatigue. (the pages are 90° clockwise for some reason for me).

https://www.flightsim-corner.com/wp-content/uploads/VOR-Frequencies-to-TACAN-Channel-list.pdf

Edited by Czar66
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, VDV said:

can i set TCN on the tanker in the HUD when im refueling? 

You can on the DED, but not on the HUD, though if you project the DED on the HUD you could say you can... 

4 hours ago, Czar66 said:

Tacan and Many VOR share frequencies. For example: EL ARISH (113.60 ARH) VOR is Tacan 83X

I hope this chart helps. You can save and turn the pages anti clockwise to ease neck fatigue. (the pages are 90° clockwise for some reason for me).

https://www.flightsim-corner.com/wp-content/uploads/VOR-Frequencies-to-TACAN-Channel-list.pdf

You should only get the DME part of the VOR if you tune your TACAN to the appropriate channel, no azimuth/steering info will be provided. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, razo+r said:

You should only get the DME part of the VOR if you tune your TACAN to the appropriate channel, no azimuth/steering info will be provided. 

Interesting. Thanks. I only used this chart to troubleshoot repeat frequencies from carriers and tankers on missions/sandbox I made. No VOR navigation was attempted.

Any way to get steering on any module with TCN channels with VOR stations?

6 minutes ago, Czar66 said:

Interesting. Thanks. I only used this chart to troubleshoot repeat frequencies from carriers and tankers on missions/sandbox I made. No VOR navigation was attempted.

Any way to get steering on any module with TCN channels with VOR stations?

From my understanding, there should not be a way. The azimuth part of the TACAN and VOR systems use different frequencies and techniques. 

• Thanks 1

It seems like some people here are confusing frequency conversion and frequency pairing. VOR and TACAN are incompatible, but if the VOR is co-located with a DME, the frequencies are paired according to a table defined by ICAO. Unlike VOR, DME and TACAN are partially compatible, so a DME equipped aircraft can get the distance (but not bearing) to a TACAN beacon, and vice versa.

The same goes for ILS, where you just input the localizer frequency, and the glide path (and DME, if appliccable) frequencies are set automatically.

• Thanks 1

Wait, distance but not direction?  That sounds backwards.  A VORTAC frequency should provide direction, and a corresponding frequency and devices should provide distance.

Same with ILS.  1 of those freqs is the localizer and 1 is the glideslope.  I forget which is which offhand, but the corresponding one should always be the same.

Maybe TACAN DME and VOR DME are different, but if the listed frequency is what you're using you should at least get baring (bearing?).  It's like using ADF.

My bad, I guess I had it backwards.  TACAN is only UHF so it can only use the corresponding DME function for civilian VOR.  The V in VOR is VHF, and the DME part overlaps with TACAN in the UHF.

Now can someone tell me how to guestimate slant range to horizontal?  Thanks.

Edited by SickSidewinder9