DCS Hardware - RAM Upgrade Question

cwarre9

Apologizes if this belongs somewhere else.  Could not find an area for this specific kind of question.  It has to do adding another 32GB of RAM to my machine.  It's a Lenovo K450, so there are limited things I can do.  I've upgraded to an RTX-3060 w/12 GB of RAM.  Replaced the CPU with an I7-4790K 400Mhz 4 core 8 thread unit.  It's as high as I can go with this motherboard socket.  I have 32GB of 1600MHz RAM (4 x 8).  The only thing left I can change is to add another 32GB of RAM.  Since I've spent several hundred $$ on GPU and CPU upgrades (not to mention new WinWing throttle and joystick) I don't want to keep trying to put lipstick on this pig unless I have a good chance of improving performance.  Running DCS, my CPU, RAM, and GPU use rates are all at or near 80 percent.  I can only run DCS at the lowest graphics settings.  If the GPU runs more than 80%, I get an audible alarm that won't stop until it gets below 80%.  As a side note, MSFS at the lowest settings runs over 80% GPU use at startup.  Can't run it at all.  So - is there any chance adding an additional 32GB of RAM will allow me to run DCS at more high-end settings or is it just good money after bad?  Retired and can't afford to keep making mistakes. 

Appreciate any feedback.

@cwarre9 32GB of RAM is more than enough to play DCS and more will not help with your problems.

You have to find out what causes the alarm for your GPU. Check the software and GPU temperatures. It might also be the problem of not enough current going to the card. Check the specs of the mobo, PSU and the card. Check if the additional power cables are properly connected to the card.

On 2/3/2024 at 11:18 PM, cwarre9 said:

Replaced the CPU with an I7-4790K 400Mhz 4 core 8 thread unit.  It's as high as I can go with this motherboard socket.

I hope the 400MHz is not really your current CPU freq.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

had also that CPU and DCS run fine on almost max settings with a 2070 Card.
Well that was some 2 years ago.
Now ive got a modern AMD something and that thing blow up the temperature on my system.
You wrote that its a lenovo system. Im not juding a system i dont know, but most of those systems are very bad at the air flow like mine was (HP System).
A upgrade of the CPU fan helped a lot after dropping a Noctua on it.
But you wrote about the GBU sending alarms at 80%.
Well, you need to know, that those cards run on max as often as they can / the software needs it. Have a look at the specs of your card and adjust cooling curves.
I don't remember my settings but i lowered RPM a LOT because the "feel well" temperature of the card was much higher as the default settings where.

Beneath that i loved im i7-4790 and i have the impression, that it was faster in many applications as my modern AMD thingydingy, but it hat its best time.
Take that into account 😉

So to sum it up: check max and normal usage temp of your hardware and adjust the cooling accordingly. I am pretty shure that helps a lot.

Thanks all for the suggestions.  This system is 9 years old.  So I've given up and ordered a new Starforge Voyager 2 system.  At 76, it should be the last machine I ever buy.  Won't arrive until sometime in March, so I'll struggle along for now.  Question, do I just do a fresh install on the new machine and login to get my maps and modules etc.? 

Thanks again for all the suggestions. 

1 hour ago, cwarre9 said:

Question, do I just do a fresh install on the new machine and login to get my maps and modules etc.? 

Yes, you can even copy the main installation files, so you don't have to redownload 150GB.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

On 2/3/2024 at 11:18 PM, cwarre9 said:

Could not find an area for this specific kind of question.

https://forum.dcs.world/forum/57-pc-hardware-and-related-software/

• Like 1
Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

• 3 weeks later...