Pedals question about Dora

Go to solution Solved by Lixma 06,

I've been away from the WW2 planes in DCS for a few years.  Back now trying to fly the Dora.  I'm using Saitek pedals for the Dora's rudder, but no matter how I fiddle with the Axis tuning, the plane pulls hard to the left.  I can't even get to the runway from the ramp, let alone down it to take off.  It's essentially unflyable.  What am I doing wrong?  I realize the prop does initially cause drift in direction, but this is ridiculous.  The pedals have very little effect.

aka MadMonk; Windows 10, 64 bit, Radeon 6800XT gpu, Ryzen 5 5600 cpu, 32 gig ram; Samsung 2TB EVO SSD, Thrustmaster Warthog throttle and stick, Saitek combat rudder pedals; Oculus Rift.

First, give right pedal input at takeoff roll. You can't just let the aircraft do it's own thing. See the behaviour and correct it. However, be aware that at low speeds, the aerodynamic forces that a control surface can bring up are non-existent. 

Next, use the tail wheel lock when you start your takeoff roll. You can engage the lock by pulling on the stick. Let go of the stick at around 100kph to avoid forcing the aircraft into the air, stalling and crashing. 

Also, consider using the differential wheel brakes as an aid. Not necessary for takeoff, but can help. 

Additionally, the prop does not induce forces initially. It continuously induces the forces, and you have to constantly counteract them to fly properly. The amount of slip it will generate depends on many factors, so keep yourself on your toes (literally) and keep the ball in the center. 

Razo+r covered the takeoff sufficiently. I would only remind that in both Fw-190s' tailwheel lock-unlock point is located at about half-stick-back position, and not stick-neutral like in P-51.

As for the taxiing from the ramp part, rudder just doesn't work at these slow speeds. Thus, you have to rely 100% on differential brakes, because Dora doesn't feature pedal-steerable tailwheel like the one in the Mustang (and neither does any other warbird in DCS for that matter).

Edited by Art-J
  • Like 2

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Thanks fellas.  This should help.  Much obliged.

aka MadMonk; Windows 10, 64 bit, Radeon 6800XT gpu, Ryzen 5 5600 cpu, 32 gig ram; Samsung 2TB EVO SSD, Thrustmaster Warthog throttle and stick, Saitek combat rudder pedals; Oculus Rift.