Taking off quest 3 crashes DCS

Dave317

The default is for the headset to sleep almost right when you take it off. Somewhere in the settings is one that I changed to 15 minutes I believe. I could be wrong but I think that's the cause.

Edited by unlikely_spider

Modules: Wright Flyer, Spruce Goose, Voyager 1

ED is not handling the Quest in this regard particularly well as I understand it.  mbucchia added a workaround in his Quad View Foveated Rendering OpenXR layer. The fix is fairly simple and ED could incorporate it into their code should they choose. In the meantime, you could install QVFR and if you don't like it, you can disable it for DCS... but the sleep fix still works. That's what I have done.

On 2/23/2024 at 12:19 PM, Dave317 said:

It doesn't always do this but more often than not if I take of my headset DCS will hang and then crash.  Is there any way around this?

if you are using XR tool kit Turbo mode and DCS MT then it will result in a freeze/crash when you take off the headset. Turn off turbo mode in XR tool kit and that should fix the issue.

At least it did for me. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, killerquagmire said:

if you are using XR tool kit Turbo mode and DCS MT then it will result in a freeze/crash when you take off the headset. Turn off turbo mode in XR tool kit and that should fix the issue.

At least it did for me. 

Exactly this.

A simple but not very elegant fix is to cover the sensor with a piece of tape.

42 minutes ago, Dave317 said:

Thanks for the replies.  I tried the bit of tape over the sensor but that made no difference.  For me it was turbo mode that was causing it. 

Are you also using the quad view foveated rendering openxr layer?

Or use sidequest and disable proximity sensor... the headset will always be on...drawback battery life

McD Out

|AMD 7800x3D | 64GB DDR5-3600| GTX 4090 | Virpil Stick, Collectiv, WW MIP, WW Throttle, MFG Crosswind V2 | Windows 11 64-bit | SSD Samsung | 4K LG Oled 48 | Oculus Q3 | Simlab based Cockpit

• 1 month later...

I had this issue with the Q2 and Q3. It happened using Oculus link, steam vr via virtual desktop and natively in virtual desktop.

What happens to me is that the image freezes in the headset, the audio and the game still goes, and if I lift the headset, the visual in the monitor still goes like nothing has happened.

I noticed this crash when the vram gets very low (i currently have a 4070ti super) or when switching often between f10 map and cockpit.

Raised this issue in the virtual desktop discord but the devs (amazing guys) couldn't find and explanation nor being able to reproduce the issue.