Modular server with discreet graphics card vs Intel integrated only

So in the DCS Modular server specs it says min specs need no discreet graphics card and recommended specs is using a discreet graphics card. I am running a dedicated modular server on a spare pc with only intel integrated graphics at this time. 

What would be the benefit of using a graphics card on the server vs intel only?

Thanks

Edited by 104th_Money
Clarity

Intel i9-13900k, Asus Z790-E Gaming Wi-fi 2 motherboard, 64gb Corsair DDR5-6400 RGB ram 2x32gb XMP2 profile, 2TB Crucial T700 PCIE 5.0 SSD internal, 2TB Samsung 980 Pro PCIE 4.0 SSD internal, Asus ROG Strix OC GeForce RTX 4090, Corsair 7000X Case with 5 x 120mm side mounted intake fans and 3 x 140mm top mounted exhaust fans, 1 x 140mm rear mounted exhaust fans, front mounted Corsair H150i Elite Capellix 360mm liquid cooler w/Elite LCD with 6 x 120mm fans in 3 push, 3 pull intake configuration, 2 x 32" Asus 2560x1440 displays, TrackIR5 w/pro clip, Thrustmaster Warthog stick and throttle, CH Fighterstick Pro and Pebble Beach Velocity pedals. 

That's a great question.  To be honest, I never looked at the recommended system requirements until you asked this.  

Like you, I run a dedicated server using an old machine with only an integrated graphics card.  Given there's no video rendering going on, I am skeptical that a dedicated card does much to boost performance.  BUT, I have to admit I need someone to explain why that may or may not be the case.

Here's the specs in case anyone is wondering:

Minimum system requirements: OS 64-bit Windows 10; CPU: Intel Core i3 at 2.8 GHz or AMD FX; RAM: 16 GB (32 GB for heavy missions); Free hard disk space: 170 GB (depends on installed terrains); Integrated graphics; 50 Mbps internet connection or better.

Recommended system requirements: OS 64-bit Windows 10; CPU: Core i5+ at 3+ GHz or AMD FX / Ryzen; RAM: 32 GB (64 GB for heavy scripted missions); Free hard disk space: 250 GB on Solid State Drive (SSD); discrete graphics card; 100 Mbps internet connection or better.

System Specs:

Spoiler

💻Processor:13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900K - 🧠RAM: 64GB - 🎥Video Card: NVIDIA RTX 4090 - 🥽 Display: Pimax 8kx VR Headset - 🕹️Accessories:  VKB Gunfighter III MCG Ultimate, Thrustmaster TWCS (modified), Thrustmaster TPR Pedals, Simshaker JetPad, Predator HOTAS Mounts, 3D Printed Flight Button Box 

Thrustmaster TWCS Mod

I wish there were more detailed specs on the performance needs. My server PC is not necessarily old, I have an i7-12700k with 64gb of ddr4-3600 ram. I used my old SSD which is gen 3 and I have no way of knowing whether upgrading to a gen 4 SSD would be of any performance benefit. I also plan on getting a 4090 gpu in the very near future and was planning on selling my current 3090 but if it will boost server performance Inwould install it. 

Can any other server admins chime in here?

Thanks

Intel i9-13900k, Asus Z790-E Gaming Wi-fi 2 motherboard, 64gb Corsair DDR5-6400 RGB ram 2x32gb XMP2 profile, 2TB Crucial T700 PCIE 5.0 SSD internal, 2TB Samsung 980 Pro PCIE 4.0 SSD internal, Asus ROG Strix OC GeForce RTX 4090, Corsair 7000X Case with 5 x 120mm side mounted intake fans and 3 x 140mm top mounted exhaust fans, 1 x 140mm rear mounted exhaust fans, front mounted Corsair H150i Elite Capellix 360mm liquid cooler w/Elite LCD with 6 x 120mm fans in 3 push, 3 pull intake configuration, 2 x 32" Asus 2560x1440 displays, TrackIR5 w/pro clip, Thrustmaster Warthog stick and throttle, CH Fighterstick Pro and Pebble Beach Velocity pedals. 

@BIGNEWY could you reach out and ask what the difference is?

Thanks

• 104th_Money changed the title to Modular server with discreet graphics card vs Intel integrated only
On 2/26/2024 at 7:31 PM, 104th_Money said:

I wish there were more detailed specs on the performance needs. My server PC is not necessarily old, I have an i7-12700k with 64gb of ddr4-3600 ram. I used my old SSD which is gen 3 and I have no way of knowing whether upgrading to a gen 4 SSD would be of any performance benefit. I also plan on getting a 4090 gpu in the very near future and was planning on selling my current 3090 but if it will boost server performance Inwould install it. 

Can any other server admins chime in here?

Thanks

dedicated GPU is not at all required anymore. It's probably and old specs or copy/paste from "legacy" way to host a server, that basically was a full clients isntallation acting as an host, and that's why was required a GPU to run.

It's no more the case for modular server. Any modern integrated gpu, or super low end dedicated GPU like GT710 it will be more than enough to host powerfull server.

Just avoid server chips like asmedia or similar, since they are bad just to manage windows desktop in general at anything else more than 1024x768 😄
they are present just to have console VGA output from server most of the time

FlighRIG => CPU: RyZen 5900x | RAM: 64GB Corsair 3000Mhz | GPU: nVIDIA RTX 4090 FE | OS Storage: SSD NVMe Samsung 850 Pro 512GB, DCS Storage: SSD NVMe Sabrent 1TB | Device: Multipurpose-UFC, VirPil T-50, TM WARTHOG Throttle, TrackHat, MFD Cougar with screen.

Our Servers => [ITA] Banshee | Krasnodar - PvE | PersianConquest PvE Live Map&Stats | Syria Liberation PvE Conquest

Support us on twitch subscribing with amazon prime account linked, it's free!

Thanks for the reply bud. I kind of figured it might be an error but was slightly entertaining the thought that maybe they found a way to boost server performance by routing some calculations through a discrete gpu. 

On 2/28/2024 at 12:05 AM, 104th_Money said:

Thanks for the reply bud. I kind of figured it might be an error but was slightly entertaining the thought that maybe they found a way to boost server performance by routing some calculations through a discrete gpu. 

Have doubt is legit since it's written in system requirements, but It's not the case. There is not (at least at the moment) a server workload that can be offloaded to a discrete gpu. Even in the past the mainly benefits was to reduce the load on system memory, since with the old client acting as server host, even with no-render and server options, server was usual to load all the texture. Have the dedicated gpu with a good amount of ram, helps to keep that stuff away from system memory. That was pretty much the benefits in the past. But it's not the case for new dedicated server.

From some prospective, even if it cool imagine that some pathfinding, raycast for LOS (LineOfSight of radar signal i.e.), or even a stronger AI behavior can be accelerated by parallel execution on CUDA core or tensor core for example, it will be force to have a GPU to host a server, that it was like come back in the "dark era" of DCS servers, when dedicated server was not available.
So I believe it's not worth invest the development in this direction, or you'll be going to kill all the servers community with the bill to rent a GPU equipped server.

The way that you can improve your server performance are:

• use a CPU with higher IPC (most important) for single core performance  (a laptop/mini-pc intel 12th gen cpu like a i7-12700H can easily match or overpass an "old" but powerful i9-9900K, at half of the power consumption)
  • use fast memory and at least a gen3 nvme drive for saved games and installation files. (ECC memory in this case it's totally useless)
  • Avoid use on server side invasive script/mod like tacview/lotatc/socket export where possible.

and last, but not least, tailor your mission file for what you're going to do, even if it's not always possible for a 24/7 servers.

Keep thousands of groups and units active just for have a full battlefield recreated at once, while players only see part of it during their mission, it's waste of resources, and most of the time you can introduce bad performance (low FPS) on the clients, even if the server itself is run smoothy!

Edited by Maverick87Shaka
  • Thanks 1

FlighRIG => CPU: RyZen 5900x | RAM: 64GB Corsair 3000Mhz | GPU: nVIDIA RTX 4090 FE | OS Storage: SSD NVMe Samsung 850 Pro 512GB, DCS Storage: SSD NVMe Sabrent 1TB | Device: Multipurpose-UFC, VirPil T-50, TM WARTHOG Throttle, TrackHat, MFD Cougar with screen.

Our Servers => [ITA] Banshee | Krasnodar - PvE | PersianConquest PvE Live Map&Stats | Syria Liberation PvE Conquest

Support us on twitch subscribing with amazon prime account linked, it's free!