Home Point / Initial Point

Jel
Go to solution Solved by _SteelFalcon_,

Been a while since i last moved the Viper. I was wondering: Does it provide any reference steerpoint to my initial position, like the WP0 on the Hornet or B on the F15E ?

Atm i just throw a MP on the runway or use the regular tools like tcn to find my way back home, i guess there might be a more convenient way to this ?

Edited by Jel

When in doubt - climb. Nobody ever collided with air.

You mean how to get back to the airbase you took off?

Set the Tacan channel to your homeplate and navigate to it by using Tacan

Set the frequency to the homeplates tower and call it for navigation assistance towards it

• DCS F-16 VIPER CLUB
  • GERMAN SPEAKING DCS F-16 ONLY SQUAD - JOIN US! - 
  • Discord :  F-16 VIPER CLUB

trztztztztz.png

Posted (edited)
vor 8 Minuten schrieb -=Shin=-:

You mean how to get back to the airbase you took off?

Set the Tacan channel to your homeplate and navigate to it by using Tacan

Set the frequency to the homeplates tower and call it for navigation assistance towards it

Thanks but no, that wasn't quite what i meant 🙂

I know about navigation alternatives, no problem in actually finding a way home. Not all fields do have tcn also asking tower for direction is not how it is supposed to be 🙂 I'm interested in whether there is a convenient way to route back home as described in my first post or if the Viper doesn't offer that kind of assistance.

Edited by Jel

I use TheWay app, into which I upload steerpoints from the F10 map. Its not cheating, since you have a map also IRL.

From the app the you just click Transfer to DCS and steerpoints get populated (I usually set to steerpoint No. 699, so it then starts with 1).

If you decide to use this app, I would recommend you to use V2.3.1 (no higher), since there are some bugs which needs to be resolved.

Posted (edited)
vor 2 Stunden schrieb skywalker22:

I use TheWay app, into which I upload steerpoints from the F10 map. Its not cheating, since you have a map also IRL.

From the app the you just click Transfer to DCS and steerpoints get populated (I usually set to steerpoint No. 699, so it then starts with 1).

If you decide to use this app, I would recommend you to use V2.3.1 (no higher), since there are some bugs which needs to be resolved.

Quite a nice idea, although the "proper" way would be punching in those points yourself on the DED.

Anyways, i wonder if there´s an answer to my actual question out there 🙂

Edited by Jel

• Solution
6 hours ago, Jel said:

Been a while since i last moved the Viper. I was wondering: Does it provide any reference steerpoint to my initial position, like the WP0 on the Hornet or B on the F15E ?

Atm i just throw a MP on the runway or use the regular tools like tcn to find my way back home, i guess there might be a more convenient way to this ?

WP 0 is sadly not a thing, so you'll have to manually plug it in on the DED if the mission maker hasn't put down a waypoint at your starting position/airfield

What you can do is use Markpoints steerpoint 26+

And change the input from HUD - seq right until you see OFLY (for overfly) then TMS UP.

Remember to 0-MSEL to make the markpoint your new steerpoint <-- that you can then use to navigate back to your airbase

I use this when I want to take-off and fly back to my airbase to do things like boresight mavericks to a vehicle close to my airbase etc.

But that other option is to use an app called DCS The Way

aronCiucu/DCSTheWay: Imports waypoints from DCS F10 map into the plane navigation system, like a Data Transfer Cartidge. (github.com)

image.png

i7-11800H @ 2.30GH | 16Gb 3200MHz | GeForce RTX 3060 | Samsung 1TB SSD | KINGSTON 520GB SSD

vor 16 Stunden schrieb _SteelFalcon_:

Just remember, you can overwrite ypur stpt 26 if you use markpoints very frequently 😉

Exactly, that´s why i was wondering.

On a mission, you most likely will overwrite your markpoints, so punching in home coords during startup seems the only thing that is both realistic enough and functional - if you don´t get your steerpoints from DTC. At the same time, i´m quite surprised that the Viper won´t provide a home/initial point, such a streamlined user experience overall but this one feature is just not there 🙂 

Exactly, that´s why i was wondering.
On a mission, you most likely will overwrite your markpoints, so punching in home coords during startup seems the only thing that is both realistic enough and functional - if you don´t get your steerpoints from DTC. At the same time, i´m quite surprised that the Viper won´t provide a home/initial point, such a streamlined user experience overall but this one feature is just not there  
Yes, but tools like dcs the way helps remember in DCS we do not have the latest MFDs employed by the US and Israel.. I am sure they have all that built in by now.

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

i7-11800H @ 2.30GH | 16Gb 3200MHz | GeForce RTX 3060 | Samsung 1TB SSD | KINGSTON 520GB SSD

Am 19.3.2024 um 13:02 schrieb Jel:

No, and I hate that.

TACAN isn't a fair equivalent as most or all of the time it's offset to the runway, makes it a bad choice for an IFR landing (without proper charts) as it pulls you down right into the ground way off the runway. Ok, ILS may help with this if the runway got ILS.

Mark Point is bad, as it will be overwritten easily. I would like to being able to copy / erase WP.

• Like 1