beta and stable unification

giullep

mine is not a controversy but I just want to see if it is a shared feeling. it seems to me that since this year Ed has decreased videos, news on new implementations of module systems.... in this sense up to now I don't think they have shown us anything new, that is, it seems to me there is a lot of silence from this point of sight, or am I wrong? In theory the unification between beta and stable and the longer interval between patches should favor implementations but perhaps the effect has been the opposite and now it is even more difficult to make changes and additions... it seems to me anyway

• Like 1

• ED Team
21 minutes ago, giullep said:

mine is not a controversy but I just want to see if it is a shared feeling. it seems to me that since this year Ed has decreased videos, news on new implementations of module systems.... in this sense up to now I don't think they have shown us anything new, that is, it seems to me there is a lot of silence from this point of sight, or am I wrong? In theory the unification between beta and stable and the longer interval between patches should favor implementations but perhaps the effect has been the opposite and now it is even more difficult to make changes and additions... it seems to me anyway

Dear giullep, 

We have already explained the the unification of the stable and beta version will have longer patch cycles, this is needed so we can have time to implement new features and test everything in DCS before we patch. The patch cycle will be on average about every 6 weeks ( depending on testing results ) that will mean that videos showing new features will also have a longer cycle, this is to be expected. The great news now is everyone gets the same update at the same time, stable users used to have to wait months before seeing a feature or a fix, so depending on what you used to use you will either see things taking a little longer, or if you were stable things now seem to be happening quicker. 

thank you  

• Like 2

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

10 minuti fa, BIGNEWY ha scritto:

Dear giullep, 

We have already explained the the unification of the stable and beta version will have longer patch cycles, this is needed so we can have time to implement new features and test everything in DCS before we patch. The patch cycle will be on average about every 6 weeks ( depending on testing results ) that will mean that videos showing new features will also have a longer cycle, this is to be expected. The great news now is everyone gets the same update at the same time, stable users used to have to wait months before seeing a feature or a fix, so depending on what you used to use you will either see things taking a little longer, or if you were stable things now seem to be happening quicker. 

thank you  

That's a great news IMHO.

I hope this will eventually lead in the long run to a consumer version with less bugs, both in the core game and in the modules.

Moreover, groups that plan activity online can rely on a software less subject to sudden changes and more stable, as a consumer product should be.

I am absolutely in favour of this new development philosophy.

• Like 2

• ED Team

We have a great team of volunteers and a QA team all working hard and personally I prefer this longer cycle. Of course the goal is to catch as many issues and bugs before a patch as possible and we have already seen this over the last year, which is great. We wont be able to catch every issue, and the bugs the community find and report will still play a vital role in what we do. Development is an ongoing endeavour and DCS will continue to grow and expand. 

It is also nice to see the multiplayer servers busy, with everyone on the same version now there is more choice for those who were using stable only. 

thank you 

• Like 3

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

56 minutes ago, giullep said:

I agree. Basically there is radio silence from ED's side, except for the "great news" aka "beta is dead, thanks to the streamlined process, be happy if you now get a patch every 6 weeks (which we all know means two months)". Else, the only "news" is of constant sales, which starts to worry several users, me included. Btw, constantly putting stuff on huge discounts is a bad timing, when asking for 3rd party campaign developers to come onboard - just saying.

I am curious where this will lead to, but I am definitely not excited about the current developments. But I will be more than happy to be proven wrong.

• Like 1

Modules: all, except for the Dora

My missions: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/filter/user-is-Don rudi/apply/

Primary system: i7-13700k, RTX 4080, 32 GB, Win 11, Virpil WarBRD + Constellation Alpha with 5cm extension, Virpil CM2 throttle, Virpil Ace Interceptor pedals, Virpil Rotor TCS base + Blackshark grip, Winwing Triple MFD and ICP, 34" UWHQD screen
Acer Nitro i7-10700, RTX 3060, 64 GB, Virpiel Rotor TCS base + Blackhawk grip, Virpiel Ace Torq pedals, 34" UWHQD screen

• ED Team
20 minutes ago, Don Rudi said:

I agree. Basically there is radio silence from ED's side, except for the "great news" aka "beta is dead, thanks to the streamlined process, be happy if you now get a patch every 6 weeks (which we all know means two months)". Else, the only "news" is of constant sales, which starts to worry several users, me included. Btw, constantly putting stuff on huge discounts is a bad timing, when asking for 3rd party campaign developers to come onboard - just saying.

I am curious where this will lead to, but I am definitely not excited about the current developments. But I will be more than happy to be proven wrong.

I do not think we are radio silent, I am here replying to threads and so is Nineline, we have made it clear there will be a longer patch cycle, and we needed to let everyone know that there is only one version now for DCS. I'm not sure why you bring up the discount topic, it is not related to the patch cycle, but we like bringing sales to everyone, we know it helps people enjoy our work. But lets not derail this thread.

I do hope we can meet you expectations going forward. 

best regards

bignewy

• Like 3

30 minuti fa, Don Rudi ha scritto:

constantly putting stuff on huge discounts is a bad timing, when asking for 3rd party campaign developers to come onboard

3rd party are not forced to join discount campaigns (razbam modules for example are almost never on sale); however DCS prices are quite high-end and I think a lot of people (me included) buy almost exclusively when on sale, with the exception of few favourite airframes.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

I'm not sure why you bring up the discount topic

I am sorry, I brought up the discounts, as those are the only official news we got in a long time. And yes, you are very active answering questions, I highly value and appreciate that! My statement was about official news and sorry, there is basically nothing. OP mentioned his impression of there being silence and I share this impression. Nothing more, nothing less.

• Like 1

Modules: all, except for the Dora

My missions: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/filter/user-is-Don rudi/apply/

Primary system: i7-13700k, RTX 4080, 32 GB, Win 11, Virpil WarBRD + Constellation Alpha with 5cm extension, Virpil CM2 throttle, Virpil Ace Interceptor pedals, Virpil Rotor TCS base + Blackshark grip, Winwing Triple MFD and ICP, 34" UWHQD screen
Acer Nitro i7-10700, RTX 3060, 64 GB, Virpiel Rotor TCS base + Blackhawk grip, Virpiel Ace Torq pedals, 34" UWHQD screen

• ED Team
6 minutes ago, Don Rudi said:

I am sorry, I brought up the discounts, as those are the only official news we got in a long time. And yes, you are very active answering questions, I highly value and appreciate that! My statement was about official news and sorry, there is basically nothing. OP mentioned his impression of there being silence and I share this impression. Nothing more, nothing less.

Do you subscribe to our weekly newsletter? If not it maybe worth it, you can subscribe on your DCS account page and get a weekly newsletter on a Friday. You can also follow our social media platforms and join our discord server, I am very active in the discord if you have questions. Links here https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/support/links/

What I do not want is for this thread topic to derail, so please keep to the DCS unification topic

thank you  

• Like 2