New IFF system coming to DCS

At Final Release: 

Addition of Identify Friend or Foe interrogation system.

The meaning of this is not that the Mig-29A will come without any functioning automatic mode 4 that the multiplayer community rely on, but a system will be built. There's been some built by third parties already, but they only work in limited ways.

DCS hasn't done anything in this area before. To date, ED hone new systems on a single module.

So I think this line is under the radar for its significance, since its saying there will be an ED IFF system of transponders, codes and interogators and the implication is that its an actual system that will be in use across modules.

What do you think? What do you wish for in that system? Would you like your own side engaging with you if your transponder is out? SAM's with or without interogators? Rules of engagement? It's a big topic.

• Like 2

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

3 minutes ago, Pikey said:

The meaning of this is not that the Mig-29A will come without any functioning automatic mode 4 that the multiplayer community rely on, but a system will be built. There's been some built by third parties already, but they only work in limited ways.

DCS hasn't done anything in this area before. To date, ED hone new systems on a single module.

So I think this line is under the radar for its significance, since its saying there will be an ED IFF system of transponders, codes and interogators and the implication is that its an actual system that will be in use across modules.

What do you think? What do you wish for in that system? Would you like your own side engaging with you if your transponder is out? SAM's with or without interogators? Rules of engagement? It's a big topic.

Check there:

Someone will moving...

Edited by Silver_Dragon

17 hours ago, lmp said:

The Hornet also had a simplified IFF in the beginning and once it got its final (?) iteration, we didn't get a new system spanning all modules.

What do you mean? The Hornet still has the simplified magic IFF that all ED aircraft use.

• Like 5

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

24 minutes ago, QuiGon said:

What do you mean? The Hornet still has the simplified magic IFF that all ED aircraft use.

I mean initially we had an even more simplified system in place. Thus we shouldn't assume that this announcement means there's some major IFF overhaul in the works that will span the entire game. Perhaps just some of the IFF features will be missing initially (like the auto IFF was initially missing in the Hornet). 

I hope what ED wants to do here is an overhaul of the entire system, but the announcement doesn't explicitly state that. 

Edited by lmp
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, lmp said:

I mean initially we had an even more simplified system in place. Thus we shouldn't assume that this announcement means there's some major IFF overhaul in the works that will span the entire game. Perhaps just some of the IFF features will be missing initially (like the auto IFF was initially missing in the Hornet). 

I hope what ED wants to do here is an overhaul of the entire system, but the announcement doesn't explicitly state that.

Oh, ok. I see what you mean now 👍

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg