Landing the Mosquito

3 hours ago, Holbeach said:

The landing gear is less compliant than it use to be, which makes it more susceptible to damage on touchdown, as you proved on your last landing.

"Stiffer" and "more susceptible to damage" are not necessarily correlated. The LG may indeed have been stiff, but I can't imagine that the real aircraft was all that fragile given the rigors of war and the brief training of the average ww2 pilot...

But my beef is with how irritating taxiing is now. You can't really make it out in the video, but with the VR headset on, it's very annoying. It's understandable that the stiff LG would make taxiing more bumpy, but in the real aircraft your whole body was bouncing around while, in VR, my body stays comfy in my chair but my eyesight is being subjected to a rapid vibration. It seems more pronounced on harder surfaces than on grass (which makes sense). I'm not sure if there's something they can do about it if it's realistic systems modeling they are after...

• Like 1

On 3/26/2024 at 6:56 PM, Bozon said:

@Ala13_ManOWar I think you are correct about the back side of the power (required) curve. 

The Mosquito feels like it has a lot of induced drag and a fairly steep reversed slope for that curve around ~120 mph and below. If I use engine power to hold the speed, and then cut it for the flare, my speed drops fast, the drag shoots up, and I immediately sink and hit the runway hard at the bottom of the flare. It is a matter of practice I know.

Just easier for me to come faster, steeper and power off all the way. Less stuff to manage and the longer float gives my poor flying skills just the time I need to stabilize a 1 meter floating till a gentle touch down.

Yep, totally seems so about the power curve. In simulation it's always harder to assess that compared to RL since we're just in front of a screen with no feelings at all.

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

On 3/29/2024 at 12:18 PM, VH-Rock said:

I think the thing here is that if you were landing with the proper technique before, the new landing gear code hasn't made much of a difference. If you were on the limit before, you'll now find it more challenging. There's some great advice in here that should help people overcome the new challenge 🙂

Totally this ☝️.

P.S.: hi Rock, how're you doing? being a long time. Nice to read you around here

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

landing at heavy weights.

Indicator panel included.

Land with near full fuel (100% at T/O) and tail wheel breakage becomes a big thing.

Landing at Halden (93% fuel) was made easier with 18 deg flap instead of full), but higher speed (96kt stall speed) and less drag meant more braking required.

Landing at Senaki with 30% fuel, was dead easy in comparison.

Edited by Holbeach
  • Like 3

I7 2600K @ 3.8, CoolerMaster 212X, EVGA GTX 1070 8gb. RAM 16gb Corsair, 1kw PSU. 2 x WD SSD. 1 x Samsung M2 NVMe. 3 x HDD. Saitek X-52. Saitek Pro Flight pedals. CH Flight Sim yoke. TrackIR 5. Win 10 Pro. IIyama 1080p. MSAA x 2, SSAA x 1.5. Settings High. Harrier/Spitfire/Beaufighter/The Channel, fanboy..

Posted (edited)

I think watching your videos has helped me, Holbeach. I can do at least half- way decent landings now , over half the time , although I'm starting to realize that in real life the RAF might not have granted me 2 or 3 hundred airplanes to crash while I got the technique down. I think one of the problems I had was flaring too high, misjudging my height over the runway & then having the plane drop out of the air with not enough speed. I haven't tried landing a heavily loaded Mosquito yet, but now I'm trying to slowly introduce a crosswind. This will be a test of the landing gear. The gear seems like it might be modeled to be really  too fragile, but I'll never know . Anyway, I appreciate everyone's  discussion here.

Edited by Charley
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 3/30/2024 at 12:55 PM, Ala13_ManOWar said:

Totally this ☝️.

P.S.: hi Rock, how're you doing? being a long time. Nice to read you around here

Good to see you bud! All good here, how about you? - I haven't done much flying for a little while (real life getting in the way), but I've slowly started getting back to it. 

• Like 1

Virtual Horsemen - Right Wing (P-51)  - 2008... 

Virtual Ultimate Fighters - Lead (P-47) - 2020...

55 minutes ago, VH-Rock said:

Good to see you bud! All good here, how about you? - I haven't done much flying for a little while (real life getting in the way), but I've slowly started getting back to it. 

Same all, not bad but not flying as much as I'd like, didn't even plug the controls since I can't remember now. Glad to hear from you mate 😉 .

• Like 1

On 3/31/2024 at 9:03 PM, Holbeach said:

Land with near full fuel and tail wheel breakage becomes a big thing.

Max landing weight in the Mosquito FB.VI is 20,500lbs. Max takeoff weight is 22,300lbs.

If you land overweight, you're going to damage the aircraft...

Edited by Skewgear
typo

DCS WWII player. I run the mission design team behind 4YA WWII, the most popular DCS World War 2 server.

https://www.ProjectOverlord.co.uk - for 4YA WW2 mission stats, mission information, historical research blogs and more.

2 hours ago, Skewgear said:

Max landing weight in the Mosquito FB.VI is 20,500lbs. Max takeoff weight is 22,300lbs.

Hey, I was already overweight when I got on the plane and I doubt this can change before I land it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

“Mosquitoes fly, but flies don’t Mosquito” :pilotfly:

- Geoffrey de Havilland.

... well, he could have said it!

13 hours ago, Skewgear said:

Max T/O weight is 20,500 lb. plus 1500 lb disposable load (RL).

Max T/O @ full fuel is 20,300 lb so I'm well within my max landing weight of 20,500 lb.

Edited by Holbeach

I7 2600K @ 3.8, CoolerMaster 212X, EVGA GTX 1070 8gb. RAM 16gb Corsair, 1kw PSU. 2 x WD SSD. 1 x Samsung M2 NVMe. 3 x HDD. Saitek X-52. Saitek Pro Flight pedals. CH Flight Sim yoke. TrackIR 5. Win 10 Pro. IIyama 1080p. MSAA x 2, SSAA x 1.5. Settings High. Harrier/Spitfire/Beaufighter/The Channel, fanboy..

10 hours ago, Bozon said:

Hey, I was already overweight when I got on the plane and I doubt this can change before I land it.

Get yourself in a chase with a 109, fly through a couple of hangars, you’ll lose a couple of pounds in sweat. 😉

If a pilot had to go around after taking off, say emergency landing or something, would they have to dump fuel IRL so as not to break the aircraft? I can’t see it being like it is in DCS, especially since the bounce buggery update. 

Holbeach, cheers for the cheeky Rochester airport video. I was trying it myself for a bit after seeing that a year or so back. Nicely done. :pilotfly:

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Slippa said:

If a pilot had to go around after taking off, say emergency landing or something, would they have to dump fuel IRL so as not to break the aircraft? I can’t see it being like it is in DCS, especially since the bounce buggery update. 

Holbeach, cheers for the cheeky Rochester airport video. I was trying it myself for a bit after seeing that a year or so back. Nicely done. :pilotfly:

Funnily enough,

I made a video this morning with a max weight T/O of 22,252 lb, full fuel plus 4 500 lb bombs, from High Halden, with a medical emergency go round and landing at about 22,000 lb. There's no method for dumping fuel. Bombs were routinely brought back during wartime and placed in store, rather than dump them on the locals.

Rochester was a mission I made to depict the early war attack by Dorniers on the Stirling factory at Rochester and Chatham Dockyard.

It uses 7 x 4 Ju 88 bombers and about 4 squadrons of defending Spits From 4 airfields.

AAA batteries are placed accurately from wartime records

Great fun. 😃

Edited by Holbeach
Added info.
  • Like 2

T/O from High Halden with full fuel and 4 500 lb bombs.

Ginger, the navigator has conked out. Medical emergency declared. Bomb jettison is not approved.

Go round and return to H H with full load. Wind is dead ahead at 16 kts.

Indicator included.

Edited by Holbeach
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...