Home airshows

Qcumber

Heard a rumbling yesterday afternoon. I looked outside and a flight of four AH-64s flew right over my house pretty low; must have been about a 1000 feet or so. I am lucky enough to see Spitfires regularly as I live near Duxford, but this was a bit different. I wish I had managed to take a vid. 

It made me think about what aircraft others manage to see from home either regularly or as a one-off treat. 

5800x3drtx407064Gb 3200: 1Tb NVME: Pico 4: Rift S: Quest Pro

I regularly see/hear E-3A's, as Geilenkirchen's downwind leg runs right over our house.

I still walk over to the window every time 😅

• Like 2

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

37 minutes ago, sirrah said:

I still walk over to the window every time 

I'm the same with Spitfires. My dog has learned to recognize the sound of a RR Merlin engine and let's me know before I can hear it! 

• Like 2

5800x3drtx407064Gb 3200: 1Tb NVME: Pico 4: Rift S: Quest Pro

Spits pass almost every day during the summer here. Sometimes Hurris, Harvards and other props. I’ll often see and hear the two-seater Spits giving lucky punters their pleasure flights too.

I’ve a grass strip not far from me in Kent that operate Spits, Harvards, Tiger Moths etc. and Biggin Hill’s not too far out. They’ve more than enough operating out of there to warm the cockles throughout the ‘good weather’ season. I’m very grateful and appreciate my luck every time I hear em. Watched the two Lancs fly overhead while on my way to the village butchers a few years ago. Punching the air like an idiot I was. Can always tell when the Griffons are about and if they’re low or tearing about I’ll try to get a look. 

Qcumber, one of the veterans I knew a little used to have a dog while he was flying during the Battle of Britain. They swore his dog could recognise his engine among others on the squadron and would greet him when he came in and wouldn’t settle until he had. He told me he wasn’t kidding about it when I quizzed him. Clever little buggers aren’t they. 

• Like 2

We regularly get Typhoons and Grizzlies at low level over our house.  It is fairly easily recognised from the air, so I'm not sure if it is intentionally chosen as a WP, maybe it is just the OH sunbathing topless in the garden. but for any active aircrew, we are 10 ish miles south of Smokey Joes, not quite as far as Dun Fell golf ball (IYKYK). Give us a wave.

• Like 1

Laptop Pilot. Alienware X17, i9 11980HK 5.0GHz, 16GB RTX 3080, 64GB DDR4 3200MHz, NVMe SSD. 2x TM Warthog, Hornet grip, Virpil CM2 & TPR pedals, FSSB-R3, Cougar throttle, Viper pit WIP (XBox360 when traveling). Rift S.

NTTR, SoH, Syria, Sinai, Channel, South Atlantic, CA, Supercarrier, FC3, A-10CII, F-5, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Harrier, M2000, F1, Viggen, MiG-21, Yak-52, L-39, MB-339, CE2, Gazelle, Ka-50, Mi-8, Mi-24, Huey, Apache, Spitfire, Mossie.  Wishlist: Tornado, Jaguar, Buccaneer, F-117 and F-111.

I live in the fens so yes many but back in the 70s planes would fly silly low until 1979 2 harriers clipped each other pretend dog fighting  not far from my school  we could here them buzzing above & as the teacher was talking all of a sudden the sound just stopped we all looked out of the windows an could see smoke over near the collage not far from us.

1979 Wisbech.

Edited by freehand
  • Like 1

It's awesome to get a glimpse of military aircraft from home. I'm not near any air bases, unfortunately, but a few years back some F-15s did an extremely low flyby over our village. It was insane to see and feel them rumble by.

• Like 1

Daily I see Navy MH-60R/S's and CMV-22's from NAS North Island and F/A-18's from MCAS Miramar fly over my house.  Once in a while I'll get CH-53E also from Miramar and a mix of KC-130s and C-17's flying into North Island.  One of the benefits of living in a military town.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I used to work at Farnborough Airfield. Every day was an airshow with the Comet, DC-10, Snoopy, and various other trials. When the airshow was on, I had free access to all areas. I was lucky enough to sit in an Apache, Black Hawk and the cockpit of the Antonov AN-225 Mriya parked on the airfield's non-public side - sadly destroyed in the Russian / Ukraine war.. Watching the four Harriers take off from the top of the SpaceCraft building was amazing as well as feeling the reheat from the Mirage 2000. They were good times. It was the place where I fell in love with the F-16. Here are some photos from the 1990 airshow. The Su-35 I took myself - a colleague managed to get in the cockpit - lucky git!

nullimage.jpeg

• Like 2