Pico 4 - just amazes me.

TED

Owning a pico 4 and an 8kx is a bit of a luxury, so of course I can’t help comparing the two. I had the 8kx first and have now had the pico for about 9 months. 
both are great headsets and I’d be perfectly happy with either. 
I thought I’d jump between them more, but actually I don’t. I just spent a couple weeks forcing myself to fly with just the 8kx to “get used to it” again. No doubt it has that lovely fov and nice colors. Then today I put the pico on again and flew a few of the same missions I had flown with the 8kx. Expecting to be a bit underwhelmed by the pico due to the smaller fov and VD with compression, I was not at all. In fact I’d go as far as to say the pico is nicer in visuals than the pimax. With the exception of the fov, the sharpness is the biggest noticeable difference. The 8kx gets very blurry away from the center quite quickly, meaning that despite the larger fov, i have to move my head more with he pimax than the pico, in order to see the details and labels around the cockpit. 
comfort is the other immediately obvious one for me. The pimax is not uncomfortable, but switch over to the pico and the weight difference and balance is like a breath of fresh air, as is the actual breath of fresh air provided by the little fan inside. 
im still in awe of this little headset for dcs after 9 months. VD works great with it and I get solid performance with high settings in dcs and godlike in VD with hvec encoder and 150mbps, at 90hz. 
At the price this things sells for it really is astounding. Highly recommended.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TED said:

Owning a pico 4 and an 8kx is a bit of a luxury, so of course I can’t help comparing the two. I had the 8kx first and have now had the pico for about 9 months. 
both are great headsets and I’d be perfectly happy with either. 
I thought I’d jump between them more, but actually I don’t. I just spent a couple weeks forcing myself to fly with just the 8kx to “get used to it” again. No doubt it has that lovely fov and nice colors. Then today I put the pico on again and flew a few of the same missions I had flown with the 8kx. Expecting to be a bit underwhelmed by the pico due to the smaller fov and VD with compression, I was not at all. In fact I’d go as far as to say the pico is nicer in visuals than the pimax. With the exception of the fov, the sharpness is the biggest noticeable difference. The 8kx gets very blurry away from the center quite quickly, meaning that despite the larger fov, i have to move my head more with he pimax than the pico, in order to see the details and labels around the cockpit. 
comfort is the other immediately obvious one for me. The pimax is not uncomfortable, but switch over to the pico and the weight difference and balance is like a breath of fresh air, as is the actual breath of fresh air provided by the little fan inside. 
im still in awe of this little headset for dcs after 9 months. VD works great with it and I get solid performance with high settings in dcs and godlike in VD with hvec encoder and 150mbps, at 90hz. 
At the price this things sells for it really is astounding. Highly recommended.

I owned a pico4 and agree cost very little not to dissimilar from a  quest pro. 

• 2 weeks later...

Can somebody tell me what the difference between the Pico 4 and the Pico 4 Enterprise is? The latter cost more than double?

Is there any difference in the hardware or is it just software and services?

There is no good comparison funtion on their website (or I'm unable to find it).

Thank you!

• Like 1

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

i vaguely remembered from VD discord that Virtual Desktop is not avaiable on PICO 4 enterprise store.

And VD bought from PICO 4 cannot be installed on PICO 4 enterprise.

5 hours ago, 72Stu said:

Thank you. That was exactly what I couldn’t find. I‘m a little confused though. In this paragraph it says, that the Pico 4 (non eneterprise) has the additional face and eye tracking. Is that a mistake or is the non-enterprise indeed better equipped in this regard? That would make the price a steal basically, no?

Am I correct in the assumption, that most pico users here in the forum use the cheaper non-enterprise variant?

Face and Eye Tracking

While the PICO 4 and PICO 4 Enterprise both possess accurate hand tracking, the PICO 4 also has highly perceptive face and eye tracking, made possible with three additional internal cameras embedded within the system. These added tracking capabilities allow more realistic interactions in a company's VR space. They also improve a company's ability to collect behavioral data when required.

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

10 minutes ago, Hiob said:

Thank you. That was exactly what I couldn’t find. I‘m a little confused though. In this paragraph it says, that the Pico 4 (non eneterprise) has the additional face and eye tracking. Is that a mistake or is the non-enterprise indeed better equipped in this regard? That would make the price a steal basically, no?

Am I correct in the assumption, that most pico users here in the forum use the cheaper non-enterprise variant?

Face and Eye Tracking

While the PICO 4 and PICO 4 Enterprise both possess accurate hand tracking, the PICO 4 also has highly perceptive face and eye tracking, made possible with three additional internal cameras embedded within the system. These added tracking capabilities allow more realistic interactions in a company's VR space. They also improve a company's ability to collect behavioral data when required.

There was some discussion on this in the discord Pico channel a few weeks/months back. According to mbucchia (sorry if I misquote, just my understanding) the enterprise version is not designed for PCVR and the eye tracking cannot be used for DFR in VD. Also, as NAM said, the enterprise version does not have access to the consumer Pico store so you cannot use VD. It does not sound like a viable option for PCVR, which is a real shame. 

5800x3drtx407064Gb 3200: 1Tb NVME: Pico 4: Rift S: Quest Pro

1 minute ago, Qcumber said:

There was some discussion on this in the discord Pico channel a few weeks/months back. According to mbucchia (sorry if I misquote, just my understanding) the enterprise version is not designed for PCVR and the eye tracking cannot be used for DFR in VD. Also, as NAM said, the enterprise version does not have access to the consumer Pico store so you cannot use VD. It does not sound like a viable option for PCVR, which is a real shame. 

I see, thank you. 

I‘m considering an upgrade to my Valve Index and the Pimax Crystal is just to expensive (for my taste) and the Pico 4 seem to be a good option. Though I haven’t put much research in it yet. For the price of the Pimax I could afford a ffb stick and a Pico it seems….😅

8 minutes ago, Hiob said:

I see, thank you. 

I‘m considering an upgrade to my Valve Index and the Pimax Crystal is just to expensive (for my taste) and the Pico 4 seem to be a good option. Though I haven’t put much research in it yet. For the price of the Pimax I could afford a ffb stick and a Pico it seems….😅

I upgraded from a Pico 4 to a used quest pro and have not looked back. The resolution is very good, better than the P4, and it has eye tracking. You can pick up a used one for less than a new Q3. I think a lot of people bought them for standalone VR and are now selling for the Apple VP. Mine had hardly been used. 

1 hour ago, Qcumber said:

I upgraded from a Pico 4 to a used quest pro and have not looked back. The resolution is very good, better than the P4, and it has eye tracking. You can pick up a used one for less than a new Q3. I think a lot of people bought them for standalone VR and are now selling for the Apple VP. Mine had hardly been used. 

Reasonable. But for me Meta isn't an option. I would rather never use VR again than voluntarily put a single coin in the pockets of Meta. Just a pet peeve - not worth a discussion.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Hiob said:

Reasonable. But for me Meta isn't an option. I would rather never use VR again than voluntarily put a single coin in the pockets of Meta. Just a pet peeve - not worth a discussion.

Fair enough. Does buying a used one count though?  

8 minutes ago, Qcumber said:

Fair enough. Does buying a used one count though?  

Debatable but I would rather stay away from used stuff also. No problem with it in general, but things I wear on my body I would prefer to be unused. 

But let's don't get to far away from the topic. I will probably wait for the next generation of HMDs anyway. I was just curious about the Pico 4 because it seems to be an upgrade in every aspekt that bothers me with the Index and seems to be rather affordable.

If I was to spend ~1000 bucks (€ in my case) on new hardware, I'd rather buy a FFB Rhino or similar. 

Edited by Hiob
typos

50 minutes ago, Hiob said:

I was just curious about the Pico 4 because it seems to be an upgrade in every aspekt that bothers me with the Index and seems to be rather affordable.

Yes. It's a shame that the enterprise Pico 4 is not capable for PCVR. I suppose there could have been firmware changes since I last read about this.

I can definitely recommend the standard Pico 4. It's an absolute bargain and the resolution is very good. You would need to use VD though and factor in a dedicated router. My router was only £40 so not too expensive. I used it for about 9 months. The only reason I went for the QP is because of eye tracking and I wanted to optimise performance for my 4070. The Pico 4 challenges this a bit too much. 

16 minutes ago, Qcumber said:

Yes. It's a shame that the enterprise Pico 4 is not capable for PCVR. I suppose there could have been firmware changes since I last read about this.

I can definitely recommend the standard Pico 4. It's an absolute bargain and the resolution is very good. You would need to use VD though and factor in a dedicated router. My router was only £40 so not too expensive. I used it for about 9 months. The only reason I went for the QP is because of eye tracking and I wanted to optimise performance for my 4070. The Pico 4 challenges this a bit too much. 

What is VD again?