Flyable without rudder ?

Mootmoot

Hello , i've tried the gazelle with the free trial ,but unfortunately i've never exceeded the cold start , i just spend my time to crash my bird at take off : i managed to fly with the ka 50 without difficulty , but for this one it's just frustating....(i think they should have relase a training mission for the take-off ), i've have one week left to decide if i buy it...but for the moment it just make me crazy ( in the bad way)😓...so do you think i'm just poor , or maybe i have to buy a rudder pedal to manage the gazelle( i'm actually using the twist of my Gladiator NXT) ?

Edited by Mootmoot

Hello , i've tried the gazelle with the free trial ,but unfortunately i've never exceeded the cold start , i just spend my time to crash my bird at take off : i managed to fly with the ka 50 without difficulty , but for this one it's just frustating....(i think they should have relase a training mission for the take-off ), i've have one week left to decide if i buy it...but for the moment it just make me crazy ( in the bad way)...so do you think i'm just poor , or maybe i have to buy a rudder pedal to manage the gazelle( i'm actually using the twist of my Gladiator NXT) ?
Try to remove the axis bindings for the copilot? They might conflict with the pilot out of the box, if you have several devices connected.
Cheers!

Sent from my SM-A536B using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Mootmoot said:

... do you think i'm just poor , or maybe i have to buy a rudder pedal to manage the gazelle( i'm actually using the twist of my Gladiator NXT) ?

I flew for several years using the twist axis of a MS FFB2 Joystick - so flying the Gazelle is possible with your setup.

Starting out - it took me around 12-18 hrs of practicing hover taxiing around airfields, etc. to get comfortable coming from the Huey, etc.

My son started flying DCS helicopters in the Gazelle, so while it's not the easiest to start out with due to it's sensitive controls, it's certainly possible.

Note that different loadouts, fuel weights and versions i.e. M, L, etc. can have an effect on how easy it is to fly.

i've tried the gazelle with the free trial ,but unfortunately i've never exceeded the cold start , i just spend my time to crash my bird at take off

i managed to fly with the ka 50 without difficulty , but for this one it's just frustating...

If you haven't already - I suggest starting with air spawns and getting comfortable with it in flight and only then moving on to the more difficult aspects of hovering, take off, etc. that IMHO require time and patience similar to A2A refuelling in fixed wing aircraft (you can sort of "cheat" as a newbie - and use a quick "jump" to get into the air and worry about landings later).

... i think they should have relase a training mission for the take-off

Perhaps this tutorial from deephack will help ?

Edited by Ramsay

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

Thank you for your replies, i've finally tried an other helicopter (mi24) , and it takes me only an half hour for a clean take-off, with maybe 4 or 5 crash ....so I think the copilot's axis biding conflict might be a good theory...but with more than 50 attempt with the Gazelle...i'm just sick of this bird now , ...i'll try it again in 6 month...maybe...😅

• Like 1

Thank you for your replies, i've finally tried an other helicopter (mi24) , and it takes me only an half hour for a clean take-off, with maybe 4 or 5 crash ....so I think the copilot's axis biding conflict might be a good theory...but with more than 50 attempt with the Gazelle...i'm just sick of this bird now , ...i'll try it again in 6 month...maybe...
Oh! Give it one more try! Or, actually you can check it without starting the module. From the main menu, open settings, and select the controls tab. Select the Gazelle copilot settings. And then check the axis settings, to look for potential conflicts. If you believe there are some, just clean them out, and make them identical to the pilot. Then go fly. On another note, the Gazelle is very twitchy and light, so you need to trim it a little and use right pedal when lifting off.
Cheers!

Sent from my SM-A536B using Tapatalk

Oh! Give it one more try!

21457443_1862084603825865_67010721290833She is litteraly an heart-breaker: i see her every day when i go to works(this is a roundaboud in my town) , she used to fly aroud my home during years , and when i finally try to approacht her, she vomit on my shoes after the first drink....i'll try it again later!😘

Unlike Ka-50 which is balanced, the helicopters with vertical rotor in order to counter the main rotor.

If I recall correctly you have to "trim" partially and partially twist in another direction (I got Gladiator Evo).

Since I did not fly it 5-6 months I need to try it myself before telling you exactly what to do.

@Mootmoot

I have VKB Gladitor Evo and no throttle, so I use Nintend Pro controller.

Preparations

The starting point is to make sure you do not have conflicting bindings. Each DCS action can be bound by 0 or more controllers!

1. Observe the control bindings. You need to verify both Pilot and Copilot for each variant of Gazelle.

2. Select Axis Commands to get the Actions that are of Axis type.

3. In my case I had the Flight controls bound to both Gladiator and Wireless Gamepad (Nintento Pro), so I right clicked on the fields of Wireless Gamepad cells and cleared them!

4. Assign selected Actions of VKB Gladiator the way I did it here

5. Switch to All but Axis Commands

6. Search for Trimmer

7. Assign the gray pinky button on the stick

Instructions

1. RCTRL+ENTER to activate the Axis indicator

2. While holding Trim button (pinky), move stick so the small caret moved left and down as in video. You position it touch and slightly cross the center lines

3. Release the Trim button.

4. Use Yaw (pedals) to move the red line at 35-40% to the right

5. Apply the Flight Control Collective so you start climbing (too little will lead to problems, so better to give more than less)

6. Try to stabilize and hover (sorry this you will have to do several times until you figure out the tendencies of the helicopter)

Next you need to bind the Trim button. I recommend the pinky gray button at the buttom of the stick.

image.png

Edited by okopanja
Finished

Thank you very much okopanja , this will be very helfull in the near future when i'll give gazelle an other chance!😉

For the moment i'm busy with the mi-24 ,and very satisfy about it...certainly my next module on DCS....in six months i'll try again  the gazelle with a new free trial !