Range of MBT weapons

Go to solution Solved by Flappie,

Building a mission on the Syrian map.  M-60 tanks have a range ring in excess of 4NM and are engaging at that range with moving targets.  T-55 has a range around 1.3NM.  Chieftain MBT had a range of about 1.87NM.

The later two are reasonable.  Clearly, the M-60 105MM gun does not have a range like this.

Edited by Richrach
Wrong name

On 3/28/2024 at 4:25 PM, Flappie said:

Do you have sources?

Tracks?

According to this, the M60A3's laser rangefinder has a maximum range of 5000 m (about 2.7 nautical miles).

According to this document (approved for public release - see page 3 of the reader for the distribution statement) mentions a maximum effective range of 3000-4000 m for the primary armament, 1200-1800 m for the commander’s .50 cal MG and 900 m for the coaxial MG. (See the tables on 18-20 of the reader).

For the T-55, tankograd has an article with an image of the sight (TSh2B-32P), the maximum range is 6000 m (~3.23 nmi) for HEF (ОФ) ammunition, 4000 m for AP (БР, ПОДК) ammunition, 3000 m for HEAT (БК) and 2200 m for the coaxial MG (ГТ). Note that the stadiametric rangefinder only goes out to 2800 m, for a target 2.7 m tall.

For the Chieftain, first note that despite what it's called in-game, it most definitely isn't a Mk 3. If ED intended it to be based on the Mk 3, then given that we appear to have a tank that's completed Totem Pole and Sundance upgrades, that would make it a Mk 7/L.

Spoiler
  • It has the newer NBC pack (No. 6 Mark 1) from the Mk 3/3 onwards. The Mk 3 would have the older style pack, which looks quite a bit different.
  • It has a muzzle reference sensor (MRS), which IRL coincided with the addition of the improved fire-control system (IFCS) and the new L11A5 gun. Mk 3 lacks the MRS and uses L11A3.
  • Unlike the Mk 3, it has the ranging gun deleted, which AFAIK coincides with Tank Laser Sight (TLS). The tank additionally is defined with a laser rangefinder (so either LF2 or TLS).
  • It has access to APFSDS ammuntion from the Mk 5/4 onwards.
  • It has an engine which (at least according to the in-game encyclopedia) has 760 hp. The Mk 3 started off with a 650 hp engine, the Mk 3/3 with 720 hp. After the Sundance modification with the Leyland L60 Mark 11A/12A, they had 750 hp (retrofitted to other tanks).

That aside, this quotes 10,000 m (~5.4 nmi) range for the Chieftain's laser rangefinder, which is backed up by a Marconi pamphlet on IFCS (though not sure if that's rule 1.16 compliant as it doesn't have a distribution statement). What the maximum effective range is I don't know, though is likely a lot less. The real thing's sight has markings for up to 3200 m (note that the sight used in game appears pre IFCS and has RMG markings despite the tank not having ranging machine gun).

Edited by Northstar98
grammar, small amendments
  • Thanks 3

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

Posted (edited)

Flappie, it might be my system.  I have not been able to reproduce the problem for a few days.  I did have M-60's engaging and hitting targets as far as 4.138 Nautical Miles, not kilometers.  Now, I will admit to personally having hit a tank at 4.5 NM with a 105mm... howitzer, but that was well within a howitzer's range.  Oh, the good ol' days...

I am working on a new mission in the same region that will use the M-60.  If the problem comes up again I will bring it here, otherwise I will mark your last as the solution.

THANK YOU for the support!

Edited by Richrach
Grammar
  • Like 1