First ever successful landing on a WW2 carrier (in the F4U mod)

Posted (edited)

Here's the first mission of the TF17 campaign. As aircraft cant be launched from carriers, I had to air-spawn them, but looks like they are able to land on the carriers, even if the AI behavior is not all that great. It is very erratic and some of the AI paths dont make too much sense, but they did follow some sort of holding pattern above the carrriers and then they do Initial and break and go into the landing pattern. 

On the Yorktown, looks like up to 5 AI planes can get parking, anything past that gets deactivated. It would be nice if the parking would allow for dozens of aircraft instead of 5. 

The release of bombs and rockets seems to work fine. They do drop quite high, over 4000-5000 ft sometimes in a shallow dive even if "dive bomb" is selected for them. Bomb accuracy from that height is realistic, with maybe a 50% less chance of hitting the target. I had set up 4 cosairs and 4 SBDs to bomb the comms tower, so 12 bombs and I still had to put in my own rockets to finish it off. The other 4 SBDs were on CAS duty  taking out the AAA and they did an pretty decent job. 

Edit, got in Episode 4 as well. 

Edited by Adalla
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Adalla said:

Here's the first mission of the TF17 campaign. As aircraft cant be launched from carriers, I had to air-spawn them, but looks like they are able to land on the carriers, even if the AI behavior is not all that great. It is very erratic and some of the AI paths dont make too much sense, but they did follow some sort of holding pattern above the carrriers and then they do Initial and break and go into the landing pattern. 

On the Yorktown, looks like up to 5 AI planes can get parking, anything past that gets deactivated. It would be nice if the parking would allow for dozens of aircraft instead of 5. 

The release of bombs and rockets seems to work fine. They do drop quite high, over 4000-5000 ft sometimes in a shallow dive even if "dive bomb" is selected for them. Bomb accuracy from that height is realistic, with maybe a 50% less chance of hitting the target. I had set up 4 cosairs and 4 SBDs to bomb the comms tower, so 12 bombs and I still had to put in my own rockets to finish it off. The other 4 SBDs were on CAS duty  taking out the AAA and they did an pretty decent job. 

Edit, got in Episode 4 as well. 

were can I get the F4U Korea livery shown in the second video? Is not part of the livery pack with the mod, thanks

7 hours ago, Fab8ball said:

were can I get the F4U Korea livery shown in the second video? Is not part of the livery pack with the mod, thanks

Hawkeye60  updated the mod with Liveries - link to download Mod F4U JSGME 2.9.1

As per his post earlier in this thread

On 4/27/2024 at 1:32 PM, Hawkeye60 said:

@Fab8ball

The mod has been up dated to include the liveries.

See the BOB thread, last post.

The Brothers are going to up-date the prop at some point soon.

Enjoy!

One of my favorites!

On 4/29/2024 at 11:37 AM, Fab8ball said:

sorry, not true - this one is not included 

Apologies - thought the original pack had some Korea liveries.

Tracked it down to Urbi's pack shared by Hawkeye60 in the thread mentioned by Adalla above.

If you haven't found already, direct download Mod F4U OvGME 3.0

Livery can be found under CoreMods/ WWII Units/ P-51-D/ Liveries/ F4U// VF-32 NAVY K216

Screen_240501_202220.jpg

9 minutes ago, Colinflyboy said:

My F-4 cockpit is stuck inside the f-4 body

Screenshot 2024-05-01 172020.png

Which version are you using? Some older version were broken as I understand. 

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, ggrewe said:

Tracked it down to Urbi's pack shared by Hawkeye60 in the thread mentioned by Adalla above.

Livery can be found under CoreMods/ WWII Units/ P-51-D/ Liveries/ F4U// VF-32 NAVY K216

Screen_240501_202220.jpg

Thanks a lot!!! But...I can't find it in the folder you mention!: any chance you may just share only the livery as attachment here instead?null

image.png

Edited by Fab8ball

2 hours ago, Fab8ball said:

Thanks a lot!!! But...I can't find it in the folder you mention!: any chance you may just share only the livery as attachment here instead?null

image.png

Strange - I thought they were all there?

But sure no problem 👍 - I have attached as a zip file

F4U Urbi Liveries.zip

• Like 1

8 hours ago, seabat said:

Is there a difference between  Mod F4U JSGME 2.9.1 and Mod F4U OvGME 3.0 other than the mod program to load into DCS?

seabat

I was confused by this too. I thought 3.0 would be a later version than 2.9.1, but I think 2.9.1 is newer. But I dont want to break my missions, so I'll be using the OvGME version. 

It'd be great if someone could figure out to have both the wings and the hook operate, instead of one or the other 🙂

On 5/1/2024 at 12:43 PM, ggrewe said:

Screen_240501_202220.jpg

Awesome deck! If I may ask, where di you get the WW2 deck crew and equipment?

Posted (edited)
On 5/3/2024 at 6:42 AM, Adalla said:

Awesome deck! If I may ask, where di you get the WW2 deck crew and equipment?

Hi Adalla

I did a hack of Tomcatz beautiful Deck crew, included in the Navy Equipment 1.4b released by Blacklibrary.

Was inspired by your Carrier comparison video showing the CV6 USS Enterprise with deck crew, but on closer inspection, saw that they were just modern colour coded crew.

Based on some quick on-line research have added a lot more basic WWII US navy uniform of Dark Navy Trousers, Light Blue Shirt & White Cloth skull caps. But left some of the Red & Yellow's.

Hope they help with WWII & maybe even Korean War scenarios?

Attached pics of comparison from original (Modern) to new WWII

CVN_cat_crew WWII

CVN_cain_gang WWII

CVN_wire_crew WWII

CVN_LSO_S WWII

Have attached the files below.

Enjoy & thanks for your inspiring video series👍

Navy Mod Deck Crew WWII_All

CVN_Cain_gang_WWII.png

CVN_LSO_S_WWII.png

CVN_Cat_Crew_WWII.png

CVN_Wire_Crew_WWII.png

Edited by ggrewe
Ajusted Pics

Nice work!

I look forward to the rest!

Brilliant!

• Thanks 1

"Yeah, and though I work in the valley of Death, I will fear no Evil. For where there is one, there is always three. I preparest my aircraft to receive the Iron that will be delivered in the presence of my enemies. Thy ALCM and JDAM they comfort me. Power was given unto the aircrew to make peace upon the world by way of the sword. And when the call went out, Behold the "Sword of Stealth". And his name was Death. And Hell followed him. For the day of wrath has come and no mercy shall be given."

On 5/3/2024 at 12:36 PM, ggrewe said:

Hi Adalla

I did a hack of Tomcatz beautiful Deck crew, included in the Navy Equipment 1.4b released by Blacklibrary.

Was inspired by your Carrier comparison video showing the CV6 USS Enterprise with deck crew, but on closer inspection, saw that they were just modern colour coded crew.

Based on some quick on-line research have added a lot more basic WWII US navy uniform of Dark Navy Trousers, Light Blue Shirt & White Cloth skull caps. But left some of the Red & Yellow's.

CVN_cat_crew Modern

CVN_cat_crew WWII

CVN_cain_gang Modern

CVN_cain_gang WWII

Will add another post below for other 2 files, otherwise will be over 50mb limit

Navy Mod Deck Crew WWII Pt1.zip 47.6 MB · 2 downloads

CVN_Cain_gang_WWII.png

CVN_Cain_gang_Modern.png

CVN_Cat_Crew_Modern.png

CVN_Cat_Crew_WWII.png

awesome. In which folder do these go in DCS? Thanks

On 5/2/2024 at 6:45 PM, ggrewe said:

Strange - I thought they were all there?

But sure no problem 👍 - I have attached as a zip file

F4U Urbi Liveries.zip 28.03 MB · 2 downloads

Thanks @ lot!!!!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Will add another post below for other 2 files, otherwise will be over 50mb limit

Unfortunately seems there is a limit (50mb) per thread? 

So can't attach the 2nd part, I tried yesterday with a separate post - but said I was over the limit (>50mb)

Hoped it was just a 24hr restriction, but still not joy today - apologies 🙏

I might add altogether & add to the User file downloads, later

EDIT  15.05.2024

Have added Dropbox link for all 4 liveries in my post above (3 up, dated 3 May)

On 5/4/2024 at 3:13 PM, Fab8ball said:

Thanks @ lot!!!!

Cheers mate - no problem 👍

On 5/4/2024 at 3:13 PM, Fab8ball said:

Hi Adalla

CVN_cat_crew Modern

CVN_cat_crew WWII

CVN_cain_gang Modern

CVN_cain_gang WWII

Navy Mod Deck Crew WWII Pt1.zip 47.6 MB · 2 downloads

CVN_Cain_gang_WWII.png

CVN_Cain_gang_Modern.png

CVN_Cat_Crew_Modern.png

CVN_Cat_Crew_WWII.png

Expand  

In your Liveries folder - same as Aircraft liveries [DSCWorld / Bazar / Liveries /]. You need the Navy Equipment 1.4b  mod installed as well.

Edited by ggrewe
Updated link