[CHK] WMD-7: stabilization lost when target passes the plane's 3-9 line.

Posted (edited)

In other words the moment the pod has to look even slightly behind the image starts to shake.

How to reproduce:

1. Lock area or point

2. Approach as if attacking

3. Turn away to avoid passing directly above the target

It should be visible in at least one target in the attached track. Problem is from what I see each time I watch this track it shows me looking in different spots and some targets get destroyed others don't.

tgp bug.trk

Edited by uboats

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Napillo said:

It uses the radar to stabilize, so if you point your radar away from the locked point, it will destabilize.

Is (should) this also the case when you are within Range for Laser Ranging?

Edited by BigBorner

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, Napillo said:

It uses the radar to stabilize, so if you point your radar away from the locked point, it will destabilize.

This makes it semi-useless to use for laser guided bombs as you'll almost always have the target behind you in the final phase, risking the bomb to hit away from target.

Edited by tekwoj
  • Thanks 1

One thing I noticed, is that the tgp aligns for a while if you leave the radar off after takeoff, not sure if this is intended.

On 5/10/2024 at 12:53 PM, Alpha_Mo66 said:

Laser rockets are now obsolete because of this bug

The laser rockets should be beam riding, so you're likely not going to be targeting something behind you while firing rockets, they can't pull that many Gs.

19 hours ago, Napillo said:

should be beam riding

No? You can even see the Sensor in the nose. 

19 hours ago, Napillo said:

you're likely not going to be targeting something behind you

No but do Designation Turn after firing them to not overfly the target, which means putting it on the 3-9 Line or even a bit above that. 

7 hours ago, BigBorner said:

No? You can even see the Sensor in the nose. 

No but do Designation Turn after firing them to not overfly the target, which means putting it on the 3-9 Line or even a bit above that. 

To be fair in case of rockets you would have to do a very sharp turn to put the target behind you before the rocket reaches it. With bombs it's a bit more visible because they are much slower.

12 hours ago, tekwoj said:

To be fair in case of rockets you would have to do a very sharp turn to put the target behind you before the rocket reaches it. With bombs it's a bit more visible because they are much slower.

Yes that’s how you do a proper designation turn 🙂 The Rockets do have a longer range then the Jeff LAR wants you to believe, though. 

Did some moving target bombing runs today. The loss of stabilization is so bad that it will cause loss of track and you're lucky if you hit anything moving with a gbu.

• 1 month later...
On 5/19/2024 at 7:30 PM, tekwoj said:

Did some moving target bombing runs today. The loss of stabilization is so bad that it will cause loss of track and you're lucky if you hit anything moving with a gbu.

Try doing an "area lock" and then slew the cursor on to the target. Seconds before GBUs impact the pod will start shaking but this will not affect the bombs.

i5-4690K CPU 3.50Ghz @ 4.10GHz; 32GB DDR3 1600MHz; GeForce GTX 1660 Super; LG IPS225@1920x1080; Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB; Windows 10 Pro

Point track currently is unusable in some scenarios.

Just had the following situation: approach suspected sam site, observe missile launch, find rough area, put area track, avoid missile. Everything is fine at this point. Now second approach, tgp kept the target properly, find the sam vehicle, track it. Took some time so there's a launch from SAM, avoid missile, come back on course, tgp has lost the track, is currently looking at some random point in field.

Another problem that started showing up is tgp slave not working 80% of the time. That was in MP so I have no track files but I'll try to reproduce that.

• 3 weeks later...
2024/7/6 PM7点21分,tekwoj说:

Point track currently is unusable in some scenarios.

Just had the following situation: approach suspected sam site, observe missile launch, find rough area, put area track, avoid missile. Everything is fine at this point. Now second approach, tgp kept the target properly, find the sam vehicle, track it. Took some time so there's a launch from SAM, avoid missile, come back on course, tgp has lost the track, is currently looking at some random point in field.

Another problem that started showing up is tgp slave not working 80% of the time. That was in MP so I have no track files but I'll try to reproduce that.

I am aware of this issue, but it is indeed difficult to reproduce. I have experienced the same problem before, but it cannot happen every time. The probability of me encountering this problem is relatively low, only about 10%. So I am currently confused about the reason. If you can create a relatively clean TRK files, it will help to find problems faster. Thanks~

• uboats changed the title to [CHK] WMD-7: stabilization lost when target passes the plane's 3-9 line.