George says out of range for gun when laser range stale

Posted (edited)

Sometimes when george had a laser range to a target that is moving and then switching him over to guns he stops lasing. Then when asked to fire, he will say the target is out of range, even if the target is now in range. The laser range just gets stuck on some value and george doesn't understand that that value is stale and refuses to fire.

Just today I had a Mig-29, coming straight in and at me, George had an IAT on the jet, and I asked him to shoot the gun, but he stubbornly refused because his laser range said that the target was 7000m out when it was maybe 2500m away.

I'd like that if asked to fire, that george would re-lase the target before deciding that it is out of range based on stale laser range. Alternatively just keep the laser on while the gun is selected.

Edited by FalcoGer

• FalcoGer changed the title to George says out of range for gun when laser range stale
Posted (edited)

@Lord Vaderhere is your track.

I don't know why george thought he'd call "in range, ready to fire", and I don't know what made him re-lase at 4100m, and then continue to not fire. He doesn't do that all the time, more often than not he just doesn't shoot.

Again, my recommendation is that george does a ranging whenever you tell him to fire, or to just keep the laser on. When in automatic fire mode, he should do a range every few seconds.

@some1 thank you.

george_stale_laser_range.trk

Edited by FalcoGer

• ED Team

Hi again, @FalcoGer

I reviewed your track and at first George isn't firing due to range. He also doesn't fire closer due to the angle limit of the gun.

As for laser ranging, though, it does seem he's not performing regular ranging. I will present this internally for analysis. 

Thanks for your cooperation.

• Like 1

dcsvader.png
Esquadra 701 - DCS Portugal - Discord

Posted (edited)

The gun elevation was invalid due to the range. The target was co-altitude and in range, it was well within the gun traversal limitations. But if you want I will make another track and fly higher.

Edited by FalcoGer

• ED Team

Hello again @FalcoGer

Analysing your track, we've come to the conclusion that you are approaching low with a moving target. George will lase when it feels is necessary and when in range he'll tell you so. The fact that your position and angle of attack limits weapon elevation, limits his ability to shoot at the target. Taking over your track and assume a slight climb, we were able to command George to fire with success as soon as he reports "in range".

Thank you for your time.

dcsvader.png
Esquadra 701 - DCS Portugal - Discord