Auto-Hover?

Is auto-hover still in disarray, awaiting OH-58 release before it gets attention? So far, I'm seeing it cycle through disengaging then being snatched back violently to the point of yanking the helicopter out of auto-hover parameters.

MS Win7 Pro x64, Intel i7-6700K 4.0Ghz, Corsair RAM 16Gb,EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0, w/ Adjustable RGB LED Graphics Card 08G-P4-6286-KR, Creative Labs SB X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Champ PCIe Sound Card, Corsair Neutron XTI 1TB SSD, TM Warthog Throttle & Stick, TM TPR Pedels, Oculus Rift VR Headset CV1, Klipsch Promedia 4.1 Speakers...

Yes, it works, but if you are not in parameters, the auto-hover  starts to engange/disengange quickly and is a really really bad  sensation, if you enter this mode , disengange the auto-hover as fast as you can and try to set the helo in parameters again.

• Thanks 1

Intel i9 10850k - MSI Tomahawk 490z - 64 GB DDR4 3000 - HP Reverb G2 - MSI optix Mag321curv 4k monitor - MSI RTX 3080ti - Winwing Orion Throttle base plus F18 stick

Since you can fly it from either seat, i find it much easier to trim it well, get it as close to a hover as I can, then switch to the co/pilot seat and control from there. If you are trimmed, you shouldn’t have to do more than torque pedals and some minor cyclic. Nothing that keeps me from effectively operating the sights with a thumb stick on my HOTAS. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/15/2024 at 3:32 PM, firefox121 said:

if you are not in parameters, the auto-hover  starts to engange/disengange quickly

Hi,

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. If we can engage the autohover (green light on), that means we're within the engagement parameters. Why would the autohover decide to disengage then?

Edit: yes, like write buur, the climb rate is a important point for not disengage the autohover.

Edited by Shadok
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Shadok said:

Why would the autohover decide to disengage then?

Because cyclic stick position matters! Auto hover does not disconnect flight controls. It only can adjust pilot's inputs in the range of the stabilization system. So if you move cyclic out of principal hover position auto hover can't move the swash plate back enough and hover will break. You always have to trim your stick – or hold it – to a near manual hover position!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/21/2024 at 5:25 PM, jumphigh said:

It can only adjust the pilot's actions within the range of the stabilizer system.

that's why I've modified my message to take into account the rate of climb.

I assumed that the reason for activating the autopilot was to be able to switch to the co-pilot position to search for targets with Viviane. Consequently, there was no need to touch the cyclic. But even in this situation, the weight of the aircraft is modified, and thus contributes to modifying the rate of climb.

Edited by Shadok

Posted (edited)

It's hard as <profanity>. You can be in auto hover for 5mn, just moving with the sight, then it disengages suddenly for no apparent reason. It's not that usable right now. 

Profanity filters... Nice... treating people like 3 year-olds.

Edited by Furious

It works well for me, I only set the trimmers to "instant" in the Special configuration, and before positioning myself in the attack, >reset the trimmers and >do a manual hover as required by the Gazelle. (Nadir is our friend to get it perfect and be static, but even if he doesn't do it, the Gazelle focuses on autohover little by little).

And I think that if the stick trim is set to a other mode than "Instant" it will work better, I should try it. (Fade in/out for example for stick and instant for rudder)

Only an excess in the m/s (ascending for example) can bring this down, it is the only reason I have found.

I5 4690K@4500ghz/24gb DDR3 ram/Evga GTX1070