Jester not locking, only focusing

Posted (edited)

Hello!

I have setup a training mission with MIG21 drones flying straight and not reacting to train radar handling

- I am 10 to 5  NM behind the mig in about 20.000ft (over water - not much clutter) and have the mig on the radar. 

- Master Arm on - CW for the AIM7M is on for some minutes - interlock on - HUD in A/A.

- Jester is focusing on the mig. When I now hold Jester Context LONG he keeps focusing and saying something like "Focusing on your target".

But he never is actually locking the target - I mean Jester is not saying something like "Locked" and I dont get any symbology for the AIM7 range and stuff.

What do I wrong?

Thank you!

Edited by Rhinozherous
  • Like 1

i7-14700KF 5.6GHz Water Cooled /// ZOTAC RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB /// 32GB RAM DDR5 /// Win11 /// SSDs only

DCS - XP12 - MSFS2020

Posted (edited)

If there are multiple targets I believe you have to first do a short press followed by a longer press for the Jester context option.

If they are visual try using Auto Acquisition mode - mapped to the nose steering button on your joystick (or assign it if not assigned).  Also if you are trying use CAGE you need to have your nose on the target to affect a lock - 5 degrees I believe is the area you have.

Edit: I should add double quick of the Jester Context button resets targets.

Edited by Grundar

I have been having the same type of issues leading to very inconsistent launches of Fox1. No real issues with Fox 2. 

Ryzen 5950X, MSI  RTX 3080TI, 2 TB SSD, 64GB 3600 MHZ DDR4 RAM, Pimax Crystal and 8KX KDMAS. WINWING F16EX Throttle: FSSB-R3-MKII ULTRA Base/TMWH Joystick: DCS: F16C

52 minutes ago, Zabuzard said:

Ssounds odd, that's the voice line for target switching. Could you send a track file? Then I can check what commands Jester received 🙂

I will provide a Track asap. I have to add that there was no problem locking a target when I start in Air.

i7-14700KF 5.6GHz Water Cooled /// ZOTAC RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB /// 32GB RAM DDR5 /// Win11 /// SSDs only

DCS - XP12 - MSFS2020

hey, I am experiencing the same thing as described above - jester is just focusing but not locking any targets on long press of the context action button. He will, however lock it via the round menu. I think this has something to do with a cold start because when I spawn in the air, same as the other user above said, this is not occurring at all. Thanks for investigating this!

• Like 1

I've had this same issue as well but I'm also just getting poor radar performance out of Jester.

Flying at 13,000ft looking for targets at 15,000 to 20,000 he can't seem to find them until WVR.

Have you tried paying Razbam?  It's starting to look like NOT paying Razbam isn't working too good.

• 2 weeks later...

Any updates? Still seems to be happening.

He works fine if you're in ACM and CAGE/Borseight but he wont lock from a scan. Tap focus, then hold and "yup" "I got him" etc. but he never turns into a STT.

Can someone replicate it on a short SP track?

I havent yet been able to reproduce it and my only guess so far would be that he is for some reason getting the short-context command (switch target) instead of the long (lock target).
Sometimes user error because they thought short-click is whats needed, but perhaps also a DCS issue (perhaps performance or hardware related) where the command is interrupted momentarily.

In some other cases I saw, the WSO pit was setup incorrectly, for example in TV instead of RDR mode - also sometimes due to user error (TGT FIND on the weapon knob for example), but also due to a bug that has been fixed in the latest patch (switching the knob too fast).

On 6/9/2024 at 11:10 AM, Zabuzard said:

Can someone replicate it on a short SP track?

I havent yet been able to reproduce it and my only guess so far would be that he is for some reason getting the short-context command (switch target) instead of the long (lock target).
Sometimes user error because they thought short-click is whats needed, but perhaps also a DCS issue (perhaps performance or hardware related) where the command is interrupted momentarily.

In some other cases I saw, the WSO pit was setup incorrectly, for example in TV instead of RDR mode - also sometimes due to user error (TGT FIND on the weapon knob for example), but also due to a bug that has been fixed in the latest patch (switching the knob too fast).

Still happening to me, alltough not always. Hardware is not the reason, checked on VIRPIL software if button is flickering when hold, but it is not. Something has to get thru as jester is calling his phrases. When I trie to provide a track it does not happen 🙄 Last time on MP flying with friends. 

DCS - XP12 - MSFS2020

Also having this issue.  Jester slews over ti the target.. I long press to lock, and he says Roger, or focusing on your target.  Will not actually lock, and I don't get the dot and circle indicating a lock.

I'm also having issues where jester will get stuck at either 10 miles or 5 miles.. double hitting context he says back to regular scan.. but nothing happens...still stuck at 5 or 10 miles.. will check to see if it's only on cold start 

Unless someone who is having the issue posts a track file as requested, the answer will continue to be “please post a track file”. I haven’t been able to get on to play around with it this week or I would 

It appears that you are sending the command multiple times.

Cause after commanding a lock, clicking it again would command to unlock the target (which gives the focusing phrase).

Not sure if people are impatient and click the button multiple times or if there is perhaps a hardware issue or DCS shenanigans interrupting the command and sending it again.

I am still hoping to get hands on a working short SP track showing the issue.

Edited by Zabuzard
  • Like 1