Bomb Sight

Does anyone have any idea how to use the standby reticule for bomb employment? The producer's note and the manual tell you to use to estimate release parameters, but then never tell you exactly how to go about doing that. Right now I can't hit anything.

Also, is it SOP for Russian helicopters to carry bombs? As in do they actually still equip bombs on their helos or is it just kind of one of those "it CAN carry bombs, but they usually don't sort of thing.

Surf youtube some more. There are a number of videos demonstrating bomb profiles. Read them as airspeed @ altitude @ drop range. Keep her level, steady, and trimmed. No smart bombs, so it's all about timing and position.

800 meters seems pretty darn high for level bombing with no sight. Is there a way to delay the detonation, like you can in IL-2? In IL-2, the only way I can hit anything with a gravity bomb (not including dive bombers) is to go in low and fast, and delay the detonation about 2 seconds, to clear the area.

Even if you can't delay the explosion, (and note that I say this with no actual knowledge of helicopter bombing doctrine (I can't imagine why you'd want to drop a gravity bomb from a helicopter anyway)), I'd figure you'd want to be at more like 100m, to have any kind of accuracy. :joystick:

Edited by Safari Ken
Stupid Typo!

Flying at 100m meters in a helicopter would kill you unless you are using flour bombs.

A helicopter moves too slowly to escape the fragmentation radius of most bombs. Better to bomb in a dive from 800m up I'd say.

Another important note when using iron bombs on dead reckoning - always remember to count on the ground altitude, as well. If you're at ~800 meters MSL you won't be getting a ground radar reading, and if you figure your deployment for those 800 meters but the ground below you is at 90 meters MSL... You'll miss.

Also, of course, wind will cause issues (even at such a low altitude some wind can make a hit from level flight very difficult).

All that said, I haven't practiced bombing with the Black Shark since I honestly don't find it a very practical proposition except possibly for taking out bridges to halt an enemy advance, but I'd much rather call in a Su-25 to do that job. :P I did enjoy flying in the attack and medium bomber roles in IL-2 though, and even when you had some proper bombsights it would be pretty difficult.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Well. there does seem to be one advantage in the Ka-50, the slant range is known thanks to the shkval. How do you use the gradations on the standby sight to plot range w/speed? (the -2,-4.-6.-8 in the HUD on the vertical axis). Since range and speed are known, it should be a snap to use the sight to plot a release point.

Edited by LastRifleRound

:megalol:

It sure does smokey, it sure does.....

It's been 4 years, I'm going to invest in TrackIR, some rudder pedals, new comp for the fall.

But seriously, how do the gradations work? There's got to be a way to use that sight. The Black Shark takes the 2 hard parts out of the calcuations, speed and range.

I RTFM'd, it tells you what the parts of the sight are, but no pratcical usage is explained.Unless I missed it....

I used to be in the artillery, and what I learned about a 105mm artillery shell is that it has a 40m kill radius. Anything within 40 meters of the point of impact is either dead by shrapnel or their lungs evaporate from the explosion. It also has a 600m danger zone. Anything within 600m from the point of impact is in danger of getting hit by shrapnel. I was on the range watching a round impact from around 1500m away. I was impressed at how fast shrapnel was hitting the ground at around 600m away from the impact point. It seemed almost instantaneous. I could see lots of pufts of dust rising from the ground as far as around 600m. I was impressed by the amount of shrapnel being unloaded by that artillery round. Now these are all specs for a 105mm artillery round. A bomb is much larger and has a lot more explosives packed into it. I could only imagine what the kill radius and the danger radius is on a bomb dropped from the Ka-50. That is why they have a minimum safe altitude for dropping bombs. I'm surprised the minimum safe altitude isn't higher.

Edited by Sharkster64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Call Sign: Warhammer

Officially the bomb release parameters are strictly pencil and paper preplanned release parameters with a lot of preparation during pre flight and strict adherence to those parameters for a successful deployment.

Be advised that there's a minimum safe altitude minimum built into the fire control computer (300m I think) for the freefall aerial bombs (FABs). The KGMU dispensers do not have this altitude safety restriction.

Right, but what i'm trying to figure out is how one uses the standby sight to actually drop a bomb with some semblance of accuracy. I'm assuming the profiles on the side of the chopper list speed, distance, and standby sight grade for release at those parameters. I could be wrong, but it would make sense that way.

I was wondering if someone on the forum could provide that info, as my texture resolutions aren't capable of being high enough to read the profile myself.

You can also bust open the raw cockpit interior texture files in windows. No one's made a "bomb delivery guide" yet but you'd have to calculate that given say an example:

Altitude 300m AGL

Attack heading 135°

Wind direction 315° 10km/s

Attack airspeed 200 km/s

Solution: Aircraft attitude should be 9 degrees nose down. Release when the target passes through 26 miliradian point down from crosshair on backup sight.

No one's made a "bomb delivery guide" yet but you'd have to calculate that given say an example:

Altitude 300m AGL

Attack heading 135°

Wind direction 315° 10km/s

Attack airspeed 200 km/s

Solution: Aircraft attitude should be 9 degrees nose down. Release when the target passes through 26 miliradian point down from crosshair on backup sight.

Oh, well of course, you'd come to that conclusion just walking down the street! :P

Could you share how you calculated that? I think that's just what RifleRound is looking for, and now I'm pretty interested too!