If Money is no object then you probably would buy this Novasim.

rapid

For those of you for which money is no object buy one of these>>>>> https://www.brunner-innovation.swiss/novasim-vr-mr/

Asus ROG Crosshair Hero VIII , Ryzen 3900X, Nzxt Kraken Z73, Vengence RBG Pro DDR4 3600mhz 32 GB, 2x Corsair MP 600 pcie4 M.2 2 TB , 2x Samsung Qvo SSD 2x TB, RTX 3090 FE, EVGA PSU 800watt, Steelseries Apex Pro. TM WartHog,TM TPR, Track IR, TM 2 x MFD, Asus VG289Q, Virpil Control Panel#2

8 hours ago, Morphine said:

Or is it one of those... "if you have to ask you can't afford it" type of things?

I think the above is the answer as you need to contact them directly.

Asus ROG Crosshair Hero VIII , Ryzen 3900X, Nzxt Kraken Z73, Vengence RBG Pro DDR4 3600mhz 32 GB, 2x Corsair MP 600 pcie4 M.2 2 TB , 2x Samsung Qvo SSD 2x TB, RTX 3090 FE, EVGA PSU 800watt, Steelseries Apex Pro. TM WartHog,TM TPR, Track IR, TM 2 x MFD, Asus VG289Q, Virpil Control Panel#2

That cheap thing?

It can't even do loopings or barrel rolls

If money was no object, I'd certainly have a full range motion rig

• Like 2
  • Intel I5 13600k / AsRock Z790 Steel Legend / MSI  4080s 16G Gaming X Slim / Kingston Fury DDR5 5600 64Gb / Adata 960 Max / HP Reverb G2 v2
  • Virpil MT50 Mongoost T50cm Stick, T50 Throttle,  ACE Interceptor Rudder Pedals / WinWing Orion2  18, 18 UFC&HUD / Thrustmaster MFD Cougar / Logitech Flight Panel / VKB SEM V  / DIY Button Box

image.png

On 7/17/2024 at 11:19 AM, Nightdare said:

That cheap thing?

If money was no object, I'd be flying the real deal 😉

On topic:

I've never tried one, but with these kind of motion platforms, I always wondered how natural this would feel. Obviously, G-forces can't be simulated, but with a 1G turn, the seat should actually stay about straight. Watching these YT videos, you kinda always see the seat bank during turns. I wonder how well this is simulated.

I can imagine though, that helo flying (where inverted flight is not something you normally do 😅) with such a moving platform, would be beyond awesome.

Edited by sirrah
  • Like 1

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM - Realsimulator FSSB-R3

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

On 7/17/2024 at 11:08 AM, TFS said:

yup, rich people only button. 

More like companies only button, though I suppose some ultra-rich people (think Elon Musk) could work something out with them. A regular rich person probably wouldn't be worth the trouble of working out the legal stuff. Companies use the quote system because there's usually additional information involved, every installation would be a bit different. In addition to hardware, it also involves installation, training the staff and probably a support contract, too. It doesn't actually have to cost that much to work like this, although it usually does since you can bilk a company for far more than most private customers, due to how business financing works.

Edited by Dragon1-1
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, sirrah said:

I've never tried one, but with these kind of motion platforms, I always wondered how natural this would feel. Obviously, G-forces can't be simulated, but with a 1G turn, the seat should actually stay about straight. Watching these YT videos, you kinda always see the seat bank during turns. I wonder how well this is simulated.

I can imagine though, that helo flying (where inverted flight is not something you normally do 😅) with such a moving platform, would be beyond awesome.

It reminds me of one I tried years ago (Motion Sim, I think?) during a gaming expo. Though it was with a rally-sim (RBR) not with a flight-sim.
Have to say that it was a little disconcerting at first.

That particular one was at points actually radical, violent (heh... like the real deal!) and it did impress there (huge smile in the face!), not like some other motion platforms that only move and rattle a tiny bit (mostly laterally), which are extremely disapointing.  I don't know how that NovaSim compares.

But also made me think about the space it requires, the possible required maintenance(?), and how long would a screen (or screens) last with so much movement and shaking (VR was not this huge thing then).  It's also not something I would put in an apartment with companions/family around, or sensitive neighbors...  but it'd make for an awesome toy in a gaming bunker or garage!

Edited by LucShep

CGTC - Caucasus retexture  |  A-10A cockpit retexture  |  Shadows Reduced Impact  |  DCS 2.5.6  (a lighter alternative) 

DCS terrain modules_July23_27pc_ns.pngDCS aircraft modules_July23_27pc_ns.png 

Spoiler

Win10 Pro x64  |  Intel i7 12700K (@5.1/ 5.0p/4.9p + 3.8e)  |  64GB DDR4 (@3700 CL17 Crucial Ballistix)  |  RTX 3090 24GB EVGA FTW3 Ultra  |  2TB NVMe (MP600 Pro XT) + 500GB SSD (WD Blue) + 3TB HDD (Toshiba P300) + 1TB HDD (WD Blue)  |  Corsair RMX 850W  |  Asus Z690 TUF+ D4  |  TR PA120SE  |  Fractal Meshify-C  |  UAD Volt1 + Sennheiser HD-599SE  |  7x USB 3.0 Hub |  50'' 4K Philips 7608/12 UHD TV (+Head Tracking)  |  HP Reverb G1 Pro (VR)  |  TM Warthog + Logitech X56 

On 7/17/2024 at 11:19 AM, Nightdare said:

That cheap thing?

Loopings and barrel rolls create constant/varying positive normal force on the pilot. If a full range motion rig would temporarily turn you upside-down for that kind of maneuvers, the force perception would be wrong!

On 7/17/2024 at 12:44 AM, Morphine said:

Price?

It is exactly 64990€.

How I know that?

Robert Went on X: "Accurate numbers — Dilbert (↬ @jdportes)  http://t.co/t0MPpgUV6L" / X

There is a big difference between motion rigs for VR and non-VR. In the last case, the rig conflicts with the visual cues that you get, while in VR, you can take advantage of the visuals in VR to bridge the gap between what you actually feel and what you ought to feel.

The issue with these huge movements, is that you introduce lag. It may look impressive, but for fast flying, I think that a relatively light platform with smaller, precise movements is better than these amusement park rides.

20 hours ago, Aapje said:

There is a big difference between motion rigs for VR and non-VR. In the last case, the rig conflicts with the visual cues that you get, while in VR, you can take advantage of the visuals in VR to bridge the gap between what you actually feel and what you ought to feel.

The issue with these huge movements, is that you introduce lag. It may look impressive, but for fast flying, I think that a relatively light platform with smaller, precise movements is better than these amusement park rides.

This is not a 'for VR vs not for VR' thing. Motion comes in 2 distinct flavors, arcade or realistic. Arcade motion is where the platform assumes the pose/attitude of the vehicle, realistic uses the platform's envelope to replicate accelerations and any sustained forces it's capable of recreating. Occupants in both scenarios can be using using projectors, monitors, VR etc and that has nothing to do with the platform's capabilities or design goals.

Lag in motion platforms refers to the difference from 'signal to motion', and like most time sensitive activities, less is more. All motion platforms work on compromises and are focused to achieve a limited set of optimized  goals and anything outside those gets unrealistic. If someone chooses acceleration poses that take too long to get into and out of to feel believable, that's not 'lag' that's just bad motion cuing.  Large excursions can be useful for corner cases as well as for *motion compensation, but you are correct most of the action happens in a small/precise manner though.

I used to work for E2M Technologies, assembling high end (1500-3000kg load, 300-600mm stroke, $100k+ platforms) 6dof platforms and running them through their paces to fill out their 20 page performance reports. Range of motion, frequency testing, latency (our systems were under 20ms signal to motion, often half that). These were used in FAA level D and military training etc.  

*using large envelope to interpolate the rotation point to the occupant's head/inner ear for example. Or using some amount of surge combined with pitch to create fore/aft accelerations with minimal false cuing etc, but also leads to needing 'washout' cycles where the platform slowly resets its position without creating more motion cues.. and it's always a matter of compromise and you can always find ways to break the illusion if you're looking for them. 

• Like 1

It does a have a few things going for it.

It has FFB Rudders and a  FFB Flight stick as well. If we all had Man Caves and could afford it most of us would buy it.