Anti-collision beacon "costs" 3-6 FPS.

A single lit anti-collision beacon "costs" me 3-6 FPS, when seen from outside the helicopter.

I would like to see this improved, or have an option for a simpler beacon rendering, maybe with no cast light on neighbouring objects (the effect is really cool, but framerate-hungry) :smartass:

---

HP A1740N* : Intel E6300 @ 1.87 GHz, 2 Gb RAM, nVidia 8800 GTS; Windows Vista Home Premium SP1

i7-7700K@4.8GHz, 16Gb-3200, GTX-1080Ti-Strix-11Gb, Maximus IX Hero, Oculus Rift, Thrustmaster Warthog+F/A-18C, Logitech G940 Pedals.

Looks like your cpu is the bottleneck : E6300 @ 1.87 GHz (below minimal requirements)

Everything over 30 frames should make you really happy. -how are your average frames?

Edited by PeterP

Yes, I am aware... This is benchmarked with a custom, empty mission to test graphics output, avoiding the CPU bottleneck.

My FPS goes to 12 at the begining of the Altitude mission. Over cities 22-26, less crowded areas 40-50, sky 70-80 :)

My point is that I want to be able to lessen the "weight" of this feature, before I fly multiplayer formation. The difference between 22 and 27 FPS is very important to people with equipment such as mine.

If this is not fixed, I will ask all players on my server to leave the beacon off.

i7-7700K@4.8GHz, 16Gb-3200, GTX-1080Ti-Strix-11Gb, Maximus IX Hero, Oculus Rift, Thrustmaster Warthog+F/A-18C, Logitech G940 Pedals.

This question isn't meant to be malign, though it can be misinterpreted as such: why not upgrade that CPU? Since the release of the i7 line CPU's such as the e8400-8600 have crashed in price. Both use the LGA775 socket though so an upgrade -should- be relatively simple.

If that is not an option (for financial reasons); and reducing the weight of the feature, I am unsure unfortunately. I assume you have looked through the mods sections on sites like checksix and lockonfiles? I know there were FPS tweaks introduced for flares and such, and if it is possible to remove the smoke entirely through modding it might be possible to neutralize that lighting.

If no such mod exists, you could ask in the mods section to see if someone with modding knowledge is able to help you out.

EDIT: I just looked over the specifications for the chipset on the motherboard used in that computer, but could find very little information on the BIOS, which is a shame since I've seen that line of processors get massive overclocks even while using the stock fan. (25 to 40% overclocks.) That would have been an option that could have removed most of your FPS problems without resorting to modding or purchasing new hardware.

Edited by EtherealN

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

A single lit anti-collision beacon "costs" me 3-6 FPS, when seen from outside the helicopter.

I would like to see this improved, or have an option for a simpler beacon rendering, maybe with no cast light on neighbouring objects (the effect is really cool, but framerate-hungry) :smartass:

---

HP A1740N* : Intel E6300 @ 1.87 GHz, 2 Gb RAM, nVidia 8800 GTS; Windows Vista Home Premium SP1

As anyone with a history of reading avaition forums here and at other sites such as SIM HQ will know, an anti collision beacon is the 2nd most lethal weapon developed by man after the photon torpedoe. (A man named '20mm' explained much about the collision beacons importance in the early days of Lock On). Black Shark is the most realistic simulation of this device yet. Its sheer power is the reason it eats frames. Use with caution.:P

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Great minds think alike; idiots seldom differ.":pilotfly:

i5 3750K@4.3Ghz, MSI Z77A GD55, 8GB DDR3, Palit GTX 670, 24" Benq@1920*1080, X52 Pro, Win 7 64bit.

Found it!

Change in the options.lua ( \Ka-50\BlackShark\data\scripts )

["lights"] = 2 to 1

This will turn off the bacon light (don't know about fps change -I can't measure)

you will find it at the end of this file. and use Notepad++ to edit .lua files.

I remembered seeing a option to change light modelling in FlamingCliffs...

and it is still left over in a other file in Balckshark! - but you can't change it enymore in the options directly - you have to edit the option.lua file (the graphics.cfg in the config folder is'nt working).

2= full lightning

1= lights will only have a halo and not illuminate other objects.

0= halo is also turned off

Make a backup before changing!

:)

Edited by PeterP
  • Like 1

Improved FPS with "lights" graphics tweak

PeterP +1

Change in the options.lua ( \Ka-50\BlackShark\data\scripts )

["lights"] = 2 to 1

2= full lightning

1= lights will only have a halo and not illuminate other objects.

0= halo is also turned off

That's EXACTLY what I'm looking for. Thank you!

It is somewhat "documented" in the Readme1.0.txt file, but no mention of "lights":

"Some graphics options can be set in the options.lua file found in the \...\BlackShark\data\scripts folder. Specifically, you can change water to either '1' (low setting) or '0' (texture only). If you experience a frame hit when inside a dust cloud, setting the effects parameter to '2' will disable the visual effect."

This will turn off the beacon light (don't know about fps change -I can't measure)

I just gained 3 FPS on F2 External View.

Is there a fix in there that will decrease the framerate hit for flares as well? They really bring my system to its knees.

Skydoc, out!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"...es gibt viel zu tun, paken Wir's an!"

------------

HAF 932, core I7 920 @ 2.67ghz, HD 4870 X2 2GB, 6GB RAM on a ASUS P6T Deluxe with some big@ss hard drive and onboard sound, TIR4, TM suite and Cyborg Keyboard/Cybersnipa Keypad

But who flies in external? How can you see the gauges?

The external view is to benchmark the effect of gfx settings, such as Exhaust Blur... and dynamic lights!

When I play multiplayer, the 3 choppers in front of me, I see from the outside (External) view. Agreed?

Leave your lights=2 and stay in your cockpit. :smilewink:

Flares FPS tweak

Is there a fix in there that will decrease the framerate hit for flares as well? They really bring my system to its knees.

See here:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=40818&highlight=flares+fps&page=2

Cheers for that!

I will give it a try.

Skydoc, out!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"...es gibt viel zu tun, paken Wir's an!"

------------

HAF 932, core I7 920 @ 2.67ghz, HD 4870 X2 2GB, 6GB RAM on a ASUS P6T Deluxe with some big@ss hard drive and onboard sound, TIR4, TM suite and Cyborg Keyboard/Cybersnipa Keypad