DCS: BS Runs Very Well!

I bought this sim yesterday. I'd read about it on the internet and planned on downloading it from DCS. Then I saw the retail game at Best Buy and snapped it up. I'm having some confusing experiences setting up the sim, but I'll keep my mouth shut about it until I give myself more time to figure it all out. :book:

I'll say this though... I'm running it on vista 64 bit with a phenom quad processor @ 1.8 GHz. 4 GB of RAM. Graphics card is 9400 GT. It's a brand new middle of the road system. I'm playing the game at 1920X1080 (my native resolution) on medium settings and it's very smooth. Frame rates are more than acceptable. I'd heard that BS didn't do multi-core processors, but at this resolution it should be a slide show if it's only running on one of my four 1.8 GHz cores. So I'm Happy! :lol:

Everything seems to be going full bore on my system. I've tried some missions and the canned replays that were on the disk. No game ruining slowdowns as of yet. The chopper is beautiful, never saw such detail in a combat sim before. I haven't been this excited about a combat sim since IL-2 Sturmovik! :joystick: I'm sure I'll get alot of enjoyment out of it.

I must also say that, for me at least, it has been extremely stable. I've been playing for several months now and I've never had a single crash. So many games are released and need to be patched several times after release due to instabilities...but not this gem :thumbup:

Having said that, I'm very much looking forward to the upcoming patch!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever" - Napoleon Bonaparte

I agree. I have a really slow system and BS runs fine. Installed without a hickup as well. Of course I haven't, and probably shouldn't, run a mission with heavy traffic. I do get a pause before my Ka explode but that's about it.

My comp: Sempron 1.6 GHz on ASUS M2N mobo, 1.5 GB generic ram, GF 8400, XP home...

Texture - HIGH, Water - OFF (but it still shows as high; don't know why), Heat blur - ON, Distance - LOW, Res - 1152x864.

Allow me to rant a little. Last night was the first time I messed with weather, and I set it to

- 30 with heavy rain. So after a couple of minutes of flying, the Ka just wobbled and I hit the side of a mountain. I was at a lost why that had happened. Found out on the third flight the rotor had iced up. I didn't pay attention to the EKRAN the first two flight.

I LOVE THIS SIM!

ED have been taking my money since 1995. :P

Woot! a Descent fan! =) Welcome to the forums.

Black Shark indeed runs quite well; it's not very demanding in terms of one's system's graphics capabilities. It's far more dependent on your system's CPU, just how any good flight sim ought to be IMO. I hadn't known that it could run so well on a single core at less than 2.0 ghz, though. o_o

Kudos to ED for focusing on physics and gameplay over graphics, but still making the sim look really nice! =)

Edited by JozMk.II

Welcome!

Even though the release version of BS does not support multicore, there's a tool available to assign more than 1 core to BS, might want to check that out http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=40037

Alternatively you can Alt+Tab out of the game, press Strg+Alt+Del, right-click on DCS.exe and assign the cores manually. Though this method needs to be repeated for every mission started.

I love this game,but I can't completly agree that this game runs smooth(at least for me.)

The problem I seem to have is that the ground feels choppy or jerky when flying(speedwise that is, not graphics.) I'm running this game on a q6600 @ 3.0, 4Gb Mem, 295gtx on vista 32bit. I just read the FAQ and I'm going to try to fiddle with the graphicsfile when I get home.

When looking at this video

it all seems to be very smooth. Going to test to run FRAPS to get a FPS value(or if anyone knows how to turn this on in BS, please inform me.).

show_fps is turned on with ctrl-pause I think

I don't run vista, but have heard many people nearly doubling their FPS by forcing mutli core affinity.

There is an app someone developed on this board called DCSMax , and from what I've heard, everyone who is running vista and multi cores should be using this app....search the forums for more info on it.

thanks for the command. Yes, I use affinity. Loaded the shooting Range mission and just sitting in the cockpit gives me 15 fps. Running this on a 19200x1200 resolution on High settings. Tried another pure trainingmisson from another forum and changed the values to medium for watereffecs and it gave me arounf 20fps. Never went beloved that value when I flew the mission though. Using 16xqAA+16xAF doesn't seems to effect fps either.

edit: A little bit tweaking here and there it now runs steady with 40fps. Guess I'm happy with that because its now smoother and definitly playable.

Edited by Groover

Thanks For the Input

I downloaded and ran the DcsMax utility as per TangoRomeo's suggestion. I started the game and realized my Cougar Hotas, TrackIR and rudder pedals were unplugged, so I decided to run the winter replay mission.

Menu screens came up much faster and there seems to be less wait for the mission to start. FPS seem smoother, but I can't tell for sure. The sim is certainly running at playable rates.

My NVidia control panel has an option for forcing games to use multicore processors. I'm wondering if that's why I was having such good luck before I began using DcsMax? Anyway, thanks to everyone for their replies. :smilewink:

I'm running mine on W7. I bought a new cpu, ram and motherboard the other day so I took the time to change W7 from the Beta (build 7077) to the RC (build 7100).

The Beta I had seemed to have some major flaws (both versions are x64) the Beta (7077) would only recognise 3gb of ram even though 4gb was installed and W7 was taking around 5 minutes to load from scratch, this was with a Phenom II 940 4gb DDR2-1066 ram so there certainly were problems.

My new kit is a Phenom 955 and 6gb of DDR3-1600 all the ram is now recognised and it has made a huge difference. Whenever I load the game or a mission now it appears almost instantly, where before I could go and make a coffee while i was waiting for it to load.

So my recommendation is to grab as much ram as you can, it has given me the best performance kick, it's like a new game now.

The only gripes I have with the game is a lack of multicore support and also a lack of multi gpu support. I have 2x HD4870's and I disable crossfire before I play. We are in the multicore era now and it's time to catch on. Hopefully these issues will be addressed in a future patch.

I'm not complaining here just making suggestions of what I would like to see in the future. :thumbup:

I bought this sim yesterday. I'd read about it on the internet and planned on downloading it from DCS. Then I saw the retail game at Best Buy and snapped it up. I'm having some confusing experiences setting up the sim, but I'll keep my mouth shut about it until I give myself more time to figure it all out. :book:

I'll say this though... I'm running it on vista 64 bit with a phenom quad processor @ 1.8 GHz. 4 GB of RAM. Graphics card is 9400 GT. It's a brand new middle of the road system. I'm playing the game at 1920X1080 (my native resolution) on medium settings and it's very smooth. Frame rates are more than acceptable. I'd heard that BS didn't do multi-core processors, but at this resolution it should be a slide show if it's only running on one of my four 1.8 GHz cores. So I'm Happy! :lol:

Everything seems to be going full bore on my system. I've tried some missions and the canned replays that were on the disk. No game ruining slowdowns as of yet. The chopper is beautiful, never saw such detail in a combat sim before. I haven't been this excited about a combat sim since IL-2 Sturmovik! :joystick: I'm sure I'll get alot of enjoyment out of it.

welcome casualty !!!

Runs ok.

I suppose it's running good as I have everything cranked up, but I do get some stuttering when around a lot of smoke and fires and cities. Also, the 1st time in every mission that I fire my machine guns it stutters for a second. After that it is fine. Things I am sure the patch will fix. As you can see, I am running on a pretty good rig at 1400x900. 2.26 dual core, 4g ddr3, 1gb 9800m gts...

Wish it wouldn't chug at all, but it is fun as hell. Waiting patiently for the patch.

Also, am using DcsMax for the core affinity. I do have up to date drivers. Any other suggestions for performance?

p.s. Can you achieve medals when using DcsMax. I received a few, but since using Max I haven't gotten any. I have also noticed that you cannot play campaign...that is because of 64-bit Vista?

I have been spreading the word about Dcs: Blackshark every chance I get. Hopefully sending some business your way.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]Gateway FX 7805 Gaming Notebook: Vista 64-Bit, Intel Core 2 Duo Centrino P8400 @ 2.26Ghz, 4GB DDR3, 1GB nVIDIA GEForce 9800M GTS, 320GB/7200RPM HD, 1400 x 900 native res. Saitek AV8R-01. DCS: Black Shark Callsign-"CRUPTED".

p.s. Can you achieve medals when using DcsMax. I received a few, but since using Max I haven't gotten any. I have also noticed that you cannot play campaign...that is because of 64-bit Vista?

You should be able to play the campaign just fine using DCSMax, even on Vista64 (I know, because I just did it earlier today). What is the problem when you try playing it? Is there an error message?

Also, I recieve medals when using DCSMax just fine as well.

You should be able to play the campaign just fine using DCSMax, even on Vista64 (I know, because I just did it earlier today). What is the problem when you try playing it? Is there an error message?

Also, I recieve medals when using DCSMax just fine as well.

In the game's main menu, when I go to campaign, it says Georgian Oil War is inactive. At the top it says the campaign is for high end XP systems and is not compatible with Vista.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]Gateway FX 7805 Gaming Notebook: Vista 64-Bit, Intel Core 2 Duo Centrino P8400 @ 2.26Ghz, 4GB DDR3, 1GB nVIDIA GEForce 9800M GTS, 320GB/7200RPM HD, 1400 x 900 native res. Saitek AV8R-01. DCS: Black Shark Callsign-"CRUPTED".

Just ignore it. Its just a warning. I also receive medals with DCSMax.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

ASUS M4A79 Deluxe, AMD Phenom II X4 940@3.5GHz, ATI 6870 1GB, Windows 7 64bit, Kingstone HyperX 4GB, 2x Western Digital Raptor 74GB, Asus Xonar DX Sound Card, Saitek X52 PRO, TrackIR 44: Pro.

Thank you! You are absolutely correct. I didn't even try it because it said inactive. Much appreciated!!

inactive just means you are not curently mid-campain

Thanks. It was primarily the warning that threw me off since I AM running Vista 64. The "inactive" label didn't help either though. I appreciate it.