Londo-Cat's KA-50 Pit

londo-cat

This might sound like a completely retarded question, but I have been searching for floor mats for the pit for about six months now. I have found out that it is called 'Automotive floor mat' and they refer to the type of mat that is seen in the KA-50 as 'fine ribbing'.

I found one place that sells it in rolls, and all I need is about 3 square feet.

mat_fine_rib.jpg

I think this is what I want, but anyone know where in California I might be able to purchase this? I've checked with automative stores locally here but none of them have it, but wondering if anyone else has run into this problem?

I know, its probably not real high priority with most sim pit builders, but I like to try and build my pits with a certain level of detail, hence the need to get the fine ribbing like the simulation has. Yeah, might be stupid, but I think it allows me to get a more immersive experience visually.

Any links to on-line retailers would be most appreciated! :helpsmilie:

• Like 1

All good suggestions. I actually visited close to 20 automotive shops to try and find the floor mats with the fine ribbing.

One place I am going to check out is Pick-a-part in Hayward, I can pick up some old used stuff out of an old truck, clean it up and then put it in the pit. Older cars used to have the fine ribb rubber mats.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok - well found the ribbed rubber matt and added that to the pit as well as put in the metal foot area and painted it to reflect use. I still have to add some brown to it, but it's moving towards the effect eventually.

IMG_2235.jpg

Next week I will be working on the area for the leg shields.

KA-50_Floor-2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

New Update:

Brother finished the collector, so painted that this weekend.

IMG_2265.jpg

IMG_2269.jpg

Because my brother used 3/4" EMT and used a rigid to flex connector, it made it a little hard to wrap the handle - so I came up with an idea to use 1" white PVC and then wrap the handle with some thick string I use for laying lines in foundations for houses.

IMG_2273.jpg

I then painted this black.

IMG_2274.jpg

This will then slide over the 3/4" EMT and cover it completely. The Rigid connector at the end of the EMT that connects to the collector box will be filed down to allow the PVC plastic pipe to slide over it and push up flush to the side of the collector box.

IMG_2277.jpg

The end result (I hope) will look like the picture below.

KA-50_Floor.jpg

And *THAT* is what I did this weekend. :pilotfly:

Very nice. :thumbup:

How are you planning on wiring this one up?

I have two hat switche's from a couple joysticks that I have canabelized so that and a slider switch and two push button momentaries will round out the collector.

Now - the wiring will go down the throat of the 3/4" EMT to the central wiring panel and to the EPIC board.

Ok - collector is now in place.

Ground down the EMT connector to allow the ABS plastic pipe to fit over it.

IMG_2279.jpg

Now that the EMT connector has been ground down enough, I was able to fit the ABS over it and push it up snug against the collector box.

IMG_2281.jpg

Once that was fitted over the EMT and snug against the collector head, it was time to fit it into the pit. Using two L-bar pieces, I drilled a hole in the end of the pipe where I wanted to attach it to the base and then fastened them down.

Pretty much guesstimated the location and then dremeled out a hole which I will of course round out better later next week and install the cover shield for it.

IMG_2293.jpg

Once that was bolted down, I tested the assembly.

IMG_2291.jpg

Completed collector in place!

IMG_2287.jpg

:thumbup:

Edited by londo-cat
  • Like 1

Nice work looks really good. I must say im very impressed.

Looks like you may have some ideas that are similar to some of mine, Have a look at my Pit thread, It might help with some of the little problems.

****edit****

Just spotted the post in my section already about my ideas :S Oops.

Edited by talisman

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No - Its a Stinger - Damn.......

My Pit - http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=42253

Nice work looks really good. I must say im very impressed.

Looks like you may have some ideas that are similar to some of mine, Have a look at my Pit thread, It might help with some of the little problems.

****edit****

Just spotted the post in my section already about my ideas :S Oops.

Thanks! No worries! Yes, your thread did spark my idea on the throttle assembly.

I'm not done yet, the brake assembly for the collector still has to be put on - my brother is actually making the brake handle assembly per some drawings I put together. I took an old aluminum brake from a ten speed bike and stripped out the cable, so he is taking the handle and making a new one that will fit into the slot, but look like the one from the KA-50. He's good with metal working (Works for United Airlines) and likes to make stuff like that.

Once finished, that will be used for the brake and keeping the collector in a specific position, and I am also building a braking system but so far it's just in the initial planning stages and I haven't built it out yet.

My brother suggested a air-piston which could work rather well, but that would be overkill I think.

Not really sure - thats part of the fun in building a pit! But when I finish it I will display it for all to see, good or bad. :helpsmilie:

well, i just had a good nose through your pictures and i am very impressed. Im starting to feel the need to rip mine apart and redo the lot.

now all i need is some

wire

switches

bulbs

wood

perspex

paint

solder

interface electronics

.......dammit! This will never end.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No - Its a Stinger - Damn.......

My Pit - http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=42253

well, i just had a good nose through your pictures and i am very impressed. Im starting to feel the need to rip mine apart and redo the lot.

now all i need is some

wire

switches

bulbs

wood

perspex

paint

solder

interface electronics

.......dammit! This will never end.

Don't do that! I liked your pit. If you really want to do another one, just start one in parallel like I did with my F-16 pit. For years I had an armchair one and then finally built a full size one even while I used the other one.

Right now I have my upstairs armchair pit for the KA-50, it has a Cougar Hotas and a keyboard with my TrackIR4 and a 30" Gateway XHD3000. That will suffice until I have the KA-50 pit completed in the garage.

I like to make the pits I build as photo accurate as possible. That's why I try to get things like the floor mats and scale as close as possible. My first pit was just whatever I had at the time, so now I have extra cash, so it's a little easier to spend it on this hobby.

For me - it takes about 2 (two) years to finish a pit! That's a lot of time spent milling, making parts, getting boards, wiring up and testing stuff!

• 2 years later...
I've added on the seat and the right panel. While it might not be completely to specs that TriggerHappy put out there, but I had to factor in my longer body frame - so... to that I expected it to be a little out of proportion to fit me as I am 6'2".

Multiple kit builders are reffering to TriggerHappy specs, but I can't find his posts. When I search for his name I think I found somebody else.

Hit Views in the Home cockpit section and at the top you will see at 189,490 views http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=27270 there ya go!!!! the man

• Like 1

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/a-10c-warthog-supplies

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/133818-deadmans-cockpit-base-plans/#comment-133824

CNCs and Laser engravers are great but they can't do squat with out a precise set of plans.

• 2 weeks later...