Saturation Y and X

Bee_Sting

saturationY is like a maximum joystick input control, Lowering this setting will make the control less sensitive and in case of the anti rotation pedals, it will be quite noticable and make it more difficult to turn when taxiing. I lower my pitch and roll axis satY and use less of a curve for a more linear input, but leave my pedals at 100%. If you use a large curve to get smoothness near center travel, your sensitivity climbs at a higher rate hwne near max travel. It is really like "robbing Peter to pay Paul".

SaturationX (I believe) limits the controllers overall travel. If your stick or control has to be moved too far for your liking, SatX will shorten it's travel, but still allow the maximum input of the controller. Between the two, you can edit the way you move your controls and get a response (output) from BS.

It is easy to see what they do in the BS axis setup. There is an indicator there that will show the the controllers raw data, vs the changes the SatX and Y make.

SatY = how much maximum JS output you get from BS.

SatX = how fast the JS reaches maximum in BS.

Edited by JG14_Smil
one last change

• ED Team

We advise to use no saturation or any other curvature (straight lines). It is very close to the sense of real Ka-50. We have feedback from several Ka-50 pilots and it is their consolidated opinion. Moreover, one of them prefers to slightly sharpen the cyclic curves to compensate so called "acceleration lag" due to lack of "natural acceleration sensor" in sim.

Edited by Yo-Yo

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

We advise to use no saturation (straight lines). It is very close to the sense of real Ka-50. We have feedback from several Ka-50 pilots and it is their consolidated opinion. Moreover, one of them prefer to slightly sharpen the cyclic curves to compensate so called "acceleration lag" due to lack of "natural acceleration sensor" in sim.

question, is that for ffb or non ffb sticks, or does that matter?

I am currently using a sidewinder precision pro 1 (it still works after 11 years of use) and I was wondering what the proper settings would be for that for accuracy.

Current Sims:

DCS Black Shark, Falcon 4.0, X-Plane 9, Steel Beasts Pro PE, IL-2 1946, ArmA 2, FSX, Rise of Flight, EECH, Harpoon 3 ANW, CSP

• ED Team
question, is that for ffb or non ffb sticks, or does that matter?

I am currently using a sidewinder precision pro 1 (it still works after 11 years of use) and I was wondering what the proper settings would be for that for accuracy.

Of course that is for both types of devices.

I can not imagine how SW Precision works after 11 years of use... maybe the lost motion is too much. But please always remember that curves looking like cubic parabola can help at small stick movement but the non-linear response at higher magnitude can make things worse. I mean abrupt stalls flying the planes and blades intersection flying Ka-50. I always have troubles predicting the reaction of the aircraft with non-linear curves.

Looking forward (or backward to FC Su-25 :) ) I should say that non-linear curve destroys the right longitudal stability curve vs stick position dependance.

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

Of course that is for both types of devices.

I can not imagine how SW Precision works after 11 years of use... maybe the lost motion is too much. But please always remember that curves looking like cubic parabola can help at small stick movement but the non-linear response at higher magnitude can make things worse. I mean abrupt stalls flying the planes and blades intersection flying Ka-50. I always have troubles predicting the reaction of the aircraft with non-linear curves.

Looking forward (or backward to FC Su-25 :) ) I should say that non-linear curve destroys the right longitudal stability curve vs stick position dependance.

Thanks for the info, as for how the sw precision works after 11 years, it's a little off center, but other than that, surprisingly well.. this specific joystick has a very good rep for durability, and i can understand why since it's lasted this long.

Current Sims:

DCS Black Shark, Falcon 4.0, X-Plane 9, Steel Beasts Pro PE, IL-2 1946, ArmA 2, FSX, Rise of Flight, EECH, Harpoon 3 ANW, CSP

I had to lower a bit my Y saturation due to older potentiometers and short movement path in my cheap Thrustmaster... It feels much better with 80%.

I really agree to avoid non-linear curves at all! Only must do that in "dying and totally descalibrated joystick" case!

Hi

just reading this & wondering how to alter the saturations/curves.I have x52 pro & BS.I have not assigned anything to the x & y axis & it all works but the "tune axis" button in options page is greyed out.The X & Y did not feel right when I had them asigned to the up/down left/right keys in the sst software.All functions are through the sst in my set-up,none through the bs options,is this right? It can be a bit unpredictable at times.

Hi

just reading this & wondering how to alter the saturations/curves.I have x52 pro & BS.I have not assigned anything to the x & y axis & it all works but the "tune axis" button in options page is greyed out.The X & Y did not feel right when I had them asigned to the up/down left/right keys in the sst software.All functions are through the sst in my set-up,none through the bs options,is this right? It can be a bit unpredictable at times.

You should assign your axes in BS, the SST software is only for assigning key commands. Axis movement is most certainly not a key command, and I can't imagine how miserable it must be flying the KA-50 if you've got the stick mapped to the arrow keys.

To assign the axes in game, use the pull down menu at the top when you're in the key configuration screen, there should be a red "Axis Commands" option. Then you'll be able to assign and tune your axes.

Also, FWIW, I use an X52 Pro, and I found that the easiest and most reliable solution was to map all of the buttons in game. The only exception is the mode selector wheel, which I converted to a 3-way switch in the SST software and which I now use as the cannon selector.

Edited by slug88

Thanks for that,I will try later.It wasnt much good with the stick mapped to keys as you said,but I dont seem to have the stick axis mapped to anything at all either in bs or sst,it works & feels quite good.I dont trust the sst & will probabally do as you & use the bs option page only

ta again

We advise to use no saturation or any other curvature (straight lines). It is very close to the sense of real Ka-50. We have feedback from several Ka-50 pilots and it is their consolidated opinion. Moreover, one of them prefers to slightly sharpen the cyclic curves to compensate so called "acceleration lag" due to lack of "natural acceleration sensor" in sim.

Would you be so kind to write what settings you recommend? Others, feel free to tip in as well. :)

(I'm using a X52 Pro)

Joy Y:

Saturation X:

Saturation Y:

Curvature:

Joy X:

Saturation X:

Saturation Y:

Curvature:

I don't want any dead zone, so I've left that out.

"There are only 10 types of people in the world — those who understand binary, and those who don't."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• ED Team

Joy Y:

Saturation X: 100

Saturation Y: 100

Curvature: -15...10 but I prefer 0 or -10 if I want to have it spicy

Joy X: all the same

Saturation X:

Saturation Y:

Curvature:

Hello Yo-Yo. Would you know what Joystick model were they using for this testing?

Westinghouse W-600 refrigerator - Corona six-pack - Marlboro reds - Patience by Girlfriend

"Engineering is the art of modelling materials we do not wholly understand, into shapes we cannot precisely analyse so as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess, in such a way that the public has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance." (Dr. A. R. Dykes - British Institution of Structural Engineers, 1976)

Joy Y:

Saturation X: 100

Saturation Y: 100

Curvature: -15...10 but I prefer 0 or -10 if I want to have it spicy

Joy X: all the same

Saturation X:

Saturation Y:

Curvature:

Thanks. After having tested both curvature -10 and 0, I find 0 to be best. -10 is just to sensitive for my taste.

I had been using curvature +17 until now, 0 feels better indeed.

"There are only 10 types of people in the world — those who understand binary, and those who don't."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had another go at this; X52 pro; Joy X= x is 100,y is60 curve is 0, joy y is the same.This works well for me,might try the curves mentioned above as an experiment.It does seem a bit lively in pitch mode at times,much smoother in the roll.

• ED Team
Hello Yo-Yo. Would you know what Joystick model were they using for this testing?

As far as I remember it was X52 or X52pro