newbie: too little power to clear mountain pass?? "South Ossetia Pirates"

newbie question

(I this the right forum thread for this? this forum - somehow, is a bit of a swamp)

"South Ossetia Pirates" you have to cross the pass

engine first conked at 2000+m

retried with

pitot heat both on

rotor anti-ice on

ENG anti-ice on

and at 2427m with the pass in front of me

full throttle Power Limit lights up

with collertor 90%

and I cannot gain altitude any more

???

what am i missing

thx, mt

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |

thx, will try

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |

And just so you got it in the right positions - antiice switch positions are "up", not "down" for those switches.

And 130 means 130 on your Shkval (IAS), not HUD (GS) - and more is NOT better - 130 is optimal.

The mind is like a parachute. It only works when it's open | The important thing is not to stop questioning

so what it also means is

one doesnt take the 'scenic route' @200m radar Alt

but start climbing from take off to clear the pass

right?

Correct. If you still don't have the altitude when you reach the pass, gently turn around to maintain speed, and basically do a climbing spiral.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

well just finished the mission

"Pirates Base Destroyed"

of course (?) with unlimited ammo (rockets only)

took me a dozen+ passes with rocket fire to oblitirate that bunch

made the pass - barely, 100m to spare

on return had to land in pitch dark

my landing light is about 2 matchsticks worth

(this normal? other choppers show huuuge landing lights)

so I just landed in the middle of all the red labels of the base :)

thx for the comments

• 1 month later...

The trick is to keep moving. At a speed of 150kph (?) you'll have the maximum climbrate. At hover, it's much less. So if you get to close to the hills and your speed lowers or you even come to hover, your lift will decrease and send you downstairs. Keep speed and try to climb constantly up the canyon.

If all fails, you may want to drop your rocket-pods, depending on the mission and your weapons preferences. Of course you'll lose a punch, but better than receiving one on the nose one from a big snowy rock ;)

@ruprecht:

The post was removed, you should change your message ;) - PM sent

Gigabyte GA-Z87-UD3H | i7 4470k @ 4.5 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 @ 2.133 Ghz | GTX 1080 | LG 55" @ 4K | Cougar 1000 W | Creative X-Fi Ti | TIR5 | CH HOTAS (with BU0836X-12 Bit) + Crosswind Pedals | Win10 64 HP | X-Keys Pro 20 & Pro 54 | 2x TM MFD

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I just played this misson and i have to facepalm..i'm a noob so i was expecting enemies to pop up left right and centre with red labels...i just spent like, 50 minutes cautiously..but safely following the predefined waypoints ...just to end up flying back to base, not a single shot fired...and landing and having to quit because i had no clue ! :P