How to hover

52niner

I followed some videos on Youtube but my heli refuses to hover, I slow below 12 knots and make sure that I am not climbing or descending. I make sure that the 3 AP lights hdg ,bank and alt are lit up and press alt-T but the heli then noses up and starts moving backwards really fast. Thanks for any help.

When you have steadied the bird, just before you hit alt-t, try trimming in a stable atitude, as you would if you were trying to hover 'hands off' without ap help. Then the chopper should pitch back slightly to reduce speed down to zero, but not as much as your suggesting.

Try trimming, if not that post a track.

I followed some videos on Youtube but my heli refuses to hover, I slow below 12 knots and make sure that I am not climbing or descending. I make sure that the 3 AP lights hdg ,bank and alt are lit up and press alt-T but the heli then noses up and starts moving backwards really fast. Thanks for any help.

Its a trim thing, same thing happened to me the other day when I forgot to trim

Once your altitude is stable and you are within ~10kph ground, push the nose to the horizon and hit the trim key (default T) and let go of the joystick immediately, letting it return to the center. After trimming, you are now ready to use the auto-hover function (Alt+T).

Also, a while back I made this hovering tutorial:

Edited by Waldo_II

Ok I definetly got into a hover , But I'm not staying put, the wind is only 3 m/s I am using the shooting range mission to practice. Even when I am at only 2 kph it still noses up on me not as bad and my trim is set so that basically hands off I am even with the horizon and not climbing or descending. This trim is definetly tricky, I'll post a track if I can find out how.

Ya I did disable it and it definetly improved my Trim. I think I got the hover thing licked but is it normal that you are not completely still, meaning 3 knots in any direction for movement? I'm still figuring it out. What should my autopilot be at , I have the bank pitch and alt on but mot the FD? DO I fly with FD on? And also is there a way to change the mode my hud is in because when I switch to missiles or guns I lose my speed info. Thanks for all your help guys I really really appreciate it!!!

Ya I did disable it and it definetly improved my Trim. I think I got the hover thing licked but is it normal that you are not completely still, meaning 3 knots in any direction for movement? I'm still figuring it out. What should my autopilot be at , I have the bank pitch and alt on but mot the FD? DO I fly with FD on? And also is there a way to change the mode my hud is in because when I switch to missiles or guns I lose my speed info. Thanks for all your help guys I really really appreciate it!!!

You should be at 0 knots. Just practice. If you fail to reach 0 knots in hover you can just move the cyclic gently (up or down) to achieve 0 knots and re-trim. The hover funtion uses the trim info and will stabilise. Just keep trying.

All four AP buttons (the block of four) should be on in auto-hover but not FD.

Once you have uncaged the Shkval using 'o' you can hit the backspace to return to the normal navigation mode on your HUD at any time.

P45 Platinum, Q9550 @ 3.33Ghz, HD6970 w/2gb, X-Fi Titanium PCIE, 4gb RAM, ANTEC 1000watt PSU, Lian Li PC-A71 case, Win7 64bit, CH Throttle and Fighterstick, Saitek Pro Pedals, TrackIR 5 + TrackClip Pro, 3 x Samsung SyncMaster 2443

It is possible, because of wind and trim, that you might float a little off axis...

What you can do to assist the autopilot is teh following:

1) MANUALLY trim for a hover, do not do it from 12kph, do it from 0kph (or as near as you can get it

2) Activate the auto hover

3) wait a second , press the trimmer

4) wait another second press the trimmer again

5) again press the trimmer (nope, not kidding) ...

This will re-set the desired hover posoition to follow along with you while the AP is trying to dampen out any movement...in this way the AP will have max contrl over pitch and roll while it is trying to hover.

You should also manage your VVI with collective and hit the Collective brake (g?) to set the desired hover altitude once settled as well...this will stop the altitude hold channel from trying to regain whatever height you were at before reaching a stable hover.