Gadroc's Pit Build

Gadroc

WOW. Can't believe it's been 8 months, but a few other projects have kept me busy and not advancing my pit. Got a nice bonus from work which triggered a few purchases for the sim pit forcing me to spend some time on it.

One of my three touch screens was only working for 15 minutes at a time so I retired it some months ago. So I picked up an Acer T230H 23" touch screen to replace the center panel. This let me migrate the remaining two 15" to the right console.

I also rebuild my left console to accommodate both collective and throttle so I can bounce between Helos and fixed wing. It also now has a 10.4" touch panel with a second on the way (going to be place to the left of the collective stick). I still need to get bezels cut for the two screens and I may end up tilting them up due to viewing angles.

Lastly I couldn't live with out my force feedback any longer so I pulled out one of the MSFFB2s I had in the closet and finally made and extension for it and swapped out the grip. I didn't want a secondary controller board so I was stuck with the existing button and axis count, but it turned out well. It works great but I may go back and add a counter weight to help with centering.

I'll post back as I go back through and recreate all of my touch panels with screen shots.

IMG_0051.jpg.cadf744f566e02f947a8fad118e81f08.jpg

IMG_0052.jpg.0d5b2de30bd92f8f9aa6a9bd4d888844.jpg

IMG_0053.jpg.036d7ee54a9fc1028c37acb174dde7d1.jpg

IMG_0055.jpg.7af689ec24c3d803b9aac9b8bc39a633.jpg

IMG_0056.jpg.42c12a817b2afb2254d2e83158ed4aa4.jpg

IMG_0057.jpg.91f088895212e239ab41ff04c3d35462.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I got my UMC prototype setup finally. While my last tubs where nice looking they where not angled correctly for the screens causing poor viewing angle for the 10.4" screens. I could barley see what was on them. The ACES II is also MUCH nicer on the eyes.

With the UMC I have moved to a 15" behind control mounts on each side and of course I have the hog installed. In addition the 23" center panel screen is now on a articulating arm. This allows me to get the center panel much closer and also push it back for much easier entry and exit of the pit.

The table in front holds my 46" LCD TV for the external visuals. It will get replaced with a wall mount sometime early next year. I have plans to move the 15" screens to be forward to the front of the control mounts giving right and left front aux consoles and add replace them with 23" touch screens for the rear consoles.

I have also attached a picture of my controller bone yard. These are all the controller's I've amassed in the last year and a half.

IMG_2724.thumb.jpg.8886f36fefbfd79b738175ea9d112e5c.jpg

IMG_2727.thumb.jpg.9513f413903ad033e7bb41f9786c1ae9.jpg

IMG_2729.thumb.jpg.6f7e6eebb15654c848bdb5a59f44fb76.jpg

IMG_2726.thumb.jpg.e27e105bd0a34a9831c341ac485bf6f5.jpg

I have also been working on my front console for DCS A-10C. Here is a screenshot of how it looks so far. All the gauges are functional but I still have to create the fuel gauge, flaps and apu gauges. In addition there are some new graphics for the ADI and HSI to match the A10, currently just using the F16 versions as stand ins. Lastly I need to increase the font size on the engine gauges so they are more easily readable.

The Navigation Mode and TISL panel are place holders just make sure I can get everything to fit. The last thing layout wise is to free up a little space for the Fire Control and Gun / NWS indicators.

We should be going into Beta with helios over the next few weeks, so you guys can play with these tools yourself shortly. Subtracting my time working on Helios source and DCS integration it only took a few hours to put this panel together and bind it to DCS.

2099922595_A10CFrontPanel.thumb.png.3f2224e65621182355693c44499181a3.png

Nice to see Helios taking shape. Cant wait for it. Now I have to find a way to build a simple monitor pit as a desk will no longer work. Got a 22" touch all ready to go.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Aaron

i7 2600k@4.4ghz, GTX1060-6gb, 16gb DDR3, T16000m, Track IR5

BS2-A10C-UH1-FC3-M2000-F18C-A4E-F14B-BF109

Wow, just realized Gadroc, you are in ohio. What part? I would love to see how a sim pit looks in real life.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Aaron

i7 2600k@4.4ghz, GTX1060-6gb, 16gb DDR3, T16000m, Track IR5

BS2-A10C-UH1-FC3-M2000-F18C-A4E-F14B-BF109

Splendid work Gadroc, looking forward to seeing your progresses with a lot of interest

Cheers!

My TM Warthog DIY extension tutorial

C2Duo E8600 @ 4.4Ghz. | Asus Rampage Formula X48 | MSI GTX 560Ti OC |

8Gb.Corsair DDR2 RAM @ 1103Mhz. | Crucial M4 128Gb. SSD | 850W. PSU |

HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Pedals | TIR 5 | Helios | 24" Monitor/22" Touchscreen

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I saw the E3 demo pictures of the tm warthog and the scsimulations pit with a screen displaying the mfcd and gauges. What would be the ideal size tv for that? 40"? If so to include the gear/flap panel and fuel panel would require another 10"? I'd like to display the flap and fuel gauges in addition to the others. I suppose we'd have the full selection of gauges in Helios to choose from?

The screen shot in my last build update is the evolution of that original software. The front panel is design for 1920x1080 21" to 23" touch screen. That fits all gauges and controls that are on the real front panel (except for the circuit breaker panel).

In my cockpit I use a 23" acer touch screen for the front panel and a Sony 46" LCD TV for the main visuals.

thanks guys for the info. good to know that the required size is much smaller than I expected, though I noticed the temp gauges are sized down pretty small. I also noticed that you squeezed in the gear panel, but without the flaps gauge. I suppose that can be added with ease? As I said above I'd also like to add the fuel gauge on the right. So I think 27" would suffice for all the gauges to be displayed.

The 23 mon will work for all, but we have to get a little creative. The flaps, fuel , and all front instruments will be mapped out on the 23... we are still working on the art work. A larger monitor would be cool, but there is not a touch screen out there that is cost effective other then the 22 and 23's.

Not to be impatient, but any word as to when the open beta might commence, and will we be able to configure across a network if we have good knowledge of networking, i.e. without bothering you with too many system related questions?

I would say sometime between now and December 3rd. I have a few more items I need to finish before releasing it. I don't know how much time I'll have to work on it over the next few days with the holiday, but there is enough time the next week to complete them even if I can't get it done this weekend.

I joined your site yesterday Gadroc. Your Helios software is just what I have been looking for. can't wait to try it. I want to use TM's MFD's Can I assume that i will be able to export MFD info from the sim? I have a very small space to work with as I am using the cockpit of an old glider for my pit build, so only want the MFD's and a couple of main instruments to show on my monitor. I think I can just about fit in a 17" widescreen LCD but will need to test that. I'm trying show everything on one monitor in my cockpit so I dont have to buy another graphics card. How much will your software be BTW?

Asus Rampage II Extreme, i7 920 @3.8Gh, 6Gb Corsair Dominator 1600hz, Msi GTX 470 Twin Frozr, Corsair 850w Mod PSU, TIR 5, HOTAS WH

I joined your site yesterday Gadroc. Your Helios software is just what I have been looking for. can't wait to try it. I want to use TM's MFD's Can I assume that i will be able to export MFD info from the sim? I have a very small space to work with as I am using the cockpit of an old glider for my pit build, so only want the MFD's and a couple of main instruments to show on my monitor. I think I can just about fit in a 17" widescreen LCD but will need to test that. I'm trying show everything on one monitor in my cockpit so I dont have to buy another graphics card. How much will your software be BTW?

I also joined the SCS Simulations site yesterday, and I am pretty pumped about HELIOS if it does all that it says it will.

As for exporting the MFD data to other screens, DCS A10C already supports that now, all you got to do is follow some simple directions for editing a LUA script. I was able to do it without much trouble, so I would say just about anybody can do it.

Ripcord

[sIGPIC]sigpic65507_1.gif[/sIGPIC]