Gadroc's Pit Build

Gadroc

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I haven't figured out yet is how to do the lock on the brake.
Gadroc,

I think bout this and made some "prototype".

My "ruski"* parking brake for analog brake with bicycle lever:

http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/2659/pb1q.jpg

http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/4793/pb2o.jpg

*"ruski" = rustic and functional. :D

Nice work in your collective. :thumbup:

Sokol1_Br

The Counterweight Continent

I was able to fix the slipping problem with a counterweight in short order. Just had to rip things apart and add a few more holes.

I had all the parts around I needed. I used the last bit of my conduit and drilled a hole through it where it would attach to the throttle. I then assembled the head of the collective, grip and brake lever. Next I attacked a project box to the other end. Then holding a screw driver through the hole I put weight into the project box until it balanced. Once it was then all attached to the throttle again everything works perfect.

Collective Counterweight.jpg

Here is a shot of the collective position where it will go when it's finished.

Collective Setup.jpg

I did get a small start on the wiring for the collective, but still allot to do. Will probably tackle that this weekend. Have plenty of time as I realized why my electronics are not here yet. I accidentally had it shipped to my old house which I moved out of a year ago :doh:. Hopefully I'll be able to track it down, ordered a new to the right address so I have one in the mean time.

I'll also be going back to the X52 after doing the precision mod on it. I absolutely love the throttle on the G940 but I'm frustrated with the center play from the FFB. Well see if it's my imagination after I use the X52 for a while again.

Gadroc,

I think bout this and made some "prototype".

My "ruski"* parking brake for analog brake with bicycle lever:

http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/2659/pb1q.jpg

http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/4793/pb2o.jpg

*"ruski" = rustic and functional. :D

Nice work in your collective. :thumbup:

Sokol1_Br

Awesome. I'm still noodling around how I'm going to do mine. I didn't even think to put it on the brake lever itself. That will be less risky for the grip! Have to see if I can't find some parts to do that with.

and the mention of additional "tabs" around the abris etc,

you sure know the way to a blokes heart :thumbup:

The existing touchpal can do "tabs" now. Check out how the shkval button toggles the Shkval panel off and on. If you create a series of buttons that toggle visibility of panels you can in effect create your own tabs.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, It was a late night but I got everything working. I just need to order a few cables so I can position the control box where I want it.

Did a quick flight and it was awesome!!! Having the analog stick actually work for the shkval is great, and travel seemed about perfect for the controls. I added two inches to the length of the collective and now I need to go back and add move up the stop for collective travel. Otherwise everything turned out good. I did get a working collective brake switch hooked up. It doesn't affect travel of the actual collective but does trigger a joystick button when pressed for the game.

In my rush to fly again (was really frustrated with my G940 so had not been flying) I didn't take any pictures. I'll rectify that this weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

Well today I ripped the collective back open and replaced the pot with a hall effects sensor. The pot was getting a few spikes and the range of movement was restricted due to the handle extension. Of course in my hurry to fly again I completely spaced on taking any photos.

Once I had the throttle base ripped apart I removed the existing pot. My original though of mounting magnets in the existing barrel of the throttle wouldn't work. It would have force me to drill through the end of the assembly. I didn't want to weaken it at all and it would have forced me to strip all the existing grease off and re-grease it... yuck. While thinking I picked up a pen to play with. I realized it's body was the right size to turn around the hall sensor. I then cannibalized the pen and glued a small section to the end of the throttle barrel. On the outside of this I attached two pairs of rare earth magnets.

Next I mounted the hall sensor in a small hobby brass tube. I then found a rubber gromet which allowed me to mount this tube in the existing pot mounting bracket. After wiring it up and electronically centering the sensor everything is working again.

I'm still not fully happy as the collective only has a 30 degree turn. Form this I'm only getting a voltage change of about 1 volt from lowest to highest. This translates into about 750 steps once I get into the raw values in windows. That's not bad for a traditional joystick, but it is about a quarter of what I'm getting on the joystick pots as I'm running them through a 12bit controller. I've read that if you use stronger magnets you can increase that, so I'll have to keep an eye out. I used two 3/16" rare earths from radio shack as they where readily available. After flying it still feels better than it did, but of course it's never good enough :pilotfly:

I never did post pictures of the HOCAS all mounted up and functional.

HOCAS%20Mounted.jpg

You can't see it pictured well but on the underside of the collective is another brake lever. I don't have this one hooked up to an axis but it does trigger a button, which I map to the collective brake in the simulator. The brake cable runs to a project box in the enclosure which as a pivot point and a lever spst switch. Pulling the trigger causes a bracket to rotate around the point and depress the lever switch. Next time I'm in there I'll make sure I take a picture of the assembly.

In addition here is the current in progress shot of the touchscreens. There is still a lot of work to do laying out all the controls onto the touch screens. But it's very flyable now.... which has of course slowed progress. :doh:

TouchPanelsInprogress.png

wow, progressing very nicely. :thumbup:

a perfect config for 1 big screen and 3 instrument panels below.

i see from the thumbnail, res is set to 3072x768, 3x 1024x768.

lets hope those panels come in a 3x 1280x1024 version, please :)

love your work.

Edited by G3

The gauge graphics are yet again DickDastardly's work. I take no credit for pretty.... I just make them move. I'm not running BSVP at all.

ggg87 almost ready to release details, but my current project would make switching these to 1280x1024 trivial.

The gauge graphics are yet again DickDastardly's work. I take no credit for pretty.... I just make them move. I'm not running BSVP at all.

ggg87 almost ready to release details

Do you mean it will be soon a reality to have gauges activated and emulated in touchPAL, with no need of BSVP ? (I supposed it was possible, but had no time to study on it...)

Father Christmas is a bit late, but could be a very pleasant gift !!!:thumbup:

@ French users :

Rotaries touchpal.xml syntax translated on french forum here http://www.checksix-forums.com/showpost.php?p=999711&postcount=8

Edited by C6_Hellfrog

• 2 weeks later...

Did you put a touch overlay into the dell screen?

Did it fit inside the bevel without any cutting of the plastic?

I have a dell 17 inch, and I have heard of some monitors having the touch overlay too thick to fit between the glass and the front cover..

Cheers

p.s. Which overlay did you purchase, and are you happy with it?

Pimax Crystal VR & Simpit User | Ryzen CPU & Nvidia RTX GPU | Some of my mods