Disabling the Kill Message?

I know there was a thread about this in here the other day, and I've spent the last hour unsuccessfully trying to track it down to see if it had any replies. I guess it had a pretty obscure topic title.

Is it possible to disable the kill messages in Flaming Cliffs? Part of the fun for me in combat is having to confirm your kills. Being able to fire a missile, then turn your back and blindly wait for the pop-up message doesn't appeal to me.

Play Hard - Play Fair

Squadron Leader "DedCat"

169th Panthers - http://www.169thpanthers.net

I thought that was one of the highly requested additions to multiplayer. I personally think multiplayer messages in 1.02 were too scarce, especially regarding kills.

Too much IL-2 for me :-) I guess.

Abit IN9 32x MAX- Kentsfield QX6700 @3520

1.5 vcore watercooled D-Tek Fuzion/PA-160/MCR120/2x MCP655

2x2GB G-Skill 1066 5-5-5-15 2T@1.9vdimm

2x EVGA 580GTX 1.5GB SLI

2x 74GB Sata Raptor Raid0

2x 320GB Hitachi Sata II

X-FI Elite Pro

Dell U3011

Lian Li V2100B

Corsair HX1000

Thanks, I had done that. I can't believe I missed a message titled Turn off kill messages? :D

LOL DedCat! I thought I was pretty clear on my title! ;)

I'm with ya brother!

-Chris

Alienware P4 3.0 GHz 800 MHz FSB | WinXP Pro SP2 | 2 GB PC3200 | ATI X850 256 MB with XT PE BIOS | Saitek X52 | TrackIR 3 Pro with Vector Expansion | Voice Buddy v3.0

I do think the kill message are annoying directly on the screen. But they are usefull.

But if there was a way to prevent them. But still have them showing up in the ctrl-m chat box, would be good. One good aspect of this kill message, is besides of knowing who shot who. It gives you the missiles that was used. Prevents from jumping to the logs file everytime you suspect an illegal weapons and such.

Or maybe if there was a way to modify the font size, type, coulour, justification on the screen.

There's no more reason to suspect illegal payloads - the server's payloads are forced on the client.

The messages need to go, and they will go (as in, the option to display them will hopefully become server-enforced)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

The messages need to go, and they will go (as in, the option to display them will hopefully become server-enforced)

Yay! :)

I understand the appeal of these messages... knowing who hit who and what they hit them with, but IMHO they take away too big a chunk of the real world sense of immersion from the game for me. It would be wonderful to have an LUA option allow the host to decide whether or not to include these messages in their games.

Play Hard - Play Fair

Squadron Leader "DedCat"

169th Panthers - http://www.169thpanthers.net

Yay! :)

I understand the appeal of these messages... knowing who hit who and what they hit them with, but IMHO they take away too big a chunk of the real world sense of immersion from the game for me. It would be wonderful to have an LUA option allow the host to decide whether or not to include these messages in their games.

And in addition there's hope to get events exported via LUA, so that you can log pretty much everything ... and view it after you're done playing or convert it into server stats.

(# of AMRAAMs fired on this server to date: 10000 ... The look on your opponents face when you boom and zoom him ... priceless. For everything else (including that plane you were just flying and went down in flames) there's MasterCard)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

My experience thus far is that the message doesn't pop until the bandit is down. I usually confirm the kill long before that.

I dont mind the kill messages for generic play, but...

I do not like it posting where I landed...especially to my enemy.

Suggestion:

Link the messages to the F10 settings. i.e. if F10 has both sides visible, messages go to both sides. If F10 view has only team mates visible the message goes only to team mates. If F10 view has only your plane visible, then messages come only to you. And finally, if F10 view has no planes visible, then no messages.

When all else fails, Eject then read the manual.

Oh, and a good wingman helps.

they take away too big a chunk of the real world sense of immersion from the game for me.

My own opinion is that this type of message can add in some missing realism from the overall battle management perspective where you ARE getting some similar reports from your wingmen, other squads supporting the mission, AWACS, ABCCC, FAC, TACP etc (although not by the same means or at the same times as the popup kill messages).

Voice comms can do a lot to provide that same situational awareness but it's still not quite as "real" as the real thing. Kill messages can add to SA in a busy coop server even beyond good voice comms discipline. But they do distract and in a busy server your hard presssed to maintain good SA.

The "kill messages" as a server choice is still a good idea.