Voice Activated Commands

Hello,

I have installed VAC (demo version) for making the profile for Flaming cliffs, I used one of profiles from VAC site (Martxyz, thank you), which I wanted to edit and adjust for my needs. However I ran into some problems which I didn't manage to solve.

It appears some of commands simply doesn't work. I mention that my operation system is Win7x64 and that I have turned off UAC and granted VAC the right to run as administrator.

So basically VAC runs some commands, and some not, why is that? For example when I say "Engines start" for which I set combination of buttons (like in the game) R_Win+HOME, VAC recognizes the phrase( I checked trough testing system) and correctly types in the command, I even have the sound acknowledgment like Success phrase, but command doesn't run in game. The starting of engines separately, left and right, works fine just as turning off the same, but not simultaneously (R_Win+End). The same case is for command Frame rate (R_Ctrl+Backspace).

Earlier I used Voice Buddy and didn't have these problems in Flaming cliffs, but I gave up because it can't be used in Black Shark.

Besides, I wanted to set trough action commands for wakening VAC or putting it to sleep, changing the modes, but also failed. That action just can’t remain active after inserting command. For example I insert command “Wake up” ( Activation phrase is the same ), than I choose “Awake” mode in VAC and when I try to save profile command somehow gets erased and only remains “None” ?!

Same happens when I enter any button in Qualifier, Extended or Character key. While changing profile and running other programs works fine, even without entering keys, which is logical.

As far as I found out LockOn-FC doesn’t accept left/right marked buttons (Qualifier keys): L-ALT, R-ALT, L-CTRL, R-CTRL, L-SHIFT, R-SHIFT, and especially L-WIN, R-WIN, received from VAC, however it does accept the same typed from keyboard.

Profile for Black shark, how I noticed so far - repeated a similar problem of recognition of commands, like in the FC, for example: L-WIN, R-WIN, PAUSE etc. simply do not respond.

Edited by kobac

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]Everything is possible ...

As I said on VAC forum, this is working for me - so it is definitely something that is happening on your PC.

Are you sure that it is recognising your phrases every time?

I found that I had to train my PC before it would recognise me properly (and I have often been commended on my clear pronunciation when I was a radio op). Especially recently, after a reinstall of Windows.

I always use VAC for the auto engine start-up, and shut down, which both use the LWin key.

I don't know what to suggest, though, other than that and checking the controls issued are correct, and that you don't have background noise whilst playing.

JD

I really don't know why my LokOn - FC and Black Shark does not properly recognize the command received from a VAC. I checked through the system testing of the VAC program. Program correctly recognizes all my spoken phrases, and I see that it correctly types key combination, but the break occurs somewhere in the game. Most of the keys are properly recognized and executed, but some do not (i mentioned in previous post which are), especially L-WIN, R-WIN, PAUSE.

It is strange to me is because keyboard commands execute correctly in both games. Also I have no problem with the commands sent by the Saitek X52.

It seems that even changing the duration of command doesn't help...

OK, I downloaded and I will tell you results. Most interested to me if that happens just to my PC or is the problem between the VAC and Win7 or the problem is something else.

Thanks JD for placement yours profile, but unfortunately, it's not working for me. You have interesting phrases but, how I noticed, you are missing some commands (eg. fire and landing lights on/off/retract). However, I have tried only PAUSE and start engines and nothing happened. I still don't know what to do, and how to solve that problem, probably I will be without these commands in the VAC.

I just read the response from the creator of the program, who said that the VACBuilder 2.1.4 had some problems with these keys, and: "The Builder does have a bug that makes changing the Qualifier back to 'Default' impossible and is fixed for the next release."

Edited by kobac

• 1 month later...

I too have been using VAC for a few years now.

In LOFC 2.0 there is quiet a delay between issuing the order, and the Wingman (men) responding. This did not happen in FC 1.12

Does anyone know if there is a file I can tweak that shortens the response time?

TIA

• 1 year later...

Hi all, please help with the program.

Really liked the program Voice Activated Commands, but I can not use it. The program is not responding to my pronunciation. Perhaps by then I say th in Russian, and she only understands English?

I would like that program would respond to my voice, but not on my "curve" English ))))) Can this be done or need to learn English before starting to use the program? )))

kobac The fact that there is a Game Commander software and it works regardless of pronunciation. You yourself utter the sentence in which it would take some action, but the fact that its development has long ceased ....

So I thought that would help me VAC. Can I make Voice Activated Kommands respond exactly to my voice, my pronunciation?

If anyone want GC2 and as i had bought it i got a valid serial. Since the company bought the farm before Y2k, i guess theres not much problem.

But anyway.

In both programs, you have to train the program to recogne your voice, more specifically the command.

In fact the sentence in itself is irrelevant, you can set the sentence "I want cookies" as: Return to base.

or "zoub" as: 3 engage air defences.

or for what matters "Atchaaa" as: ready to taxi.

Another point at least with GC2, is the fact that it tries to recognize sillabes not the whole sentence.

SO, if you have very similar sentences, in the rush of the hour your pronounciation may vary slightly and the VAC/GC2 will interpret this as a diferent command than what you intended command.

External sounds MAY interfere with commands too if the MIC get them.

So i suggest:

1) Plan well you commands so they can be clearly interpreted by the program, and they are easy to memorize.(try a mindset that would suit all the sims)

2) Train, you voice for all orders (PITA);

3) If some orders work and others not and all seem OK retrain.

4) The shorter the order, the lesser the chances of missinterpretation by the software.

And above all have a god MIC!!!! This is paramount.

HaF 922, Asus rampage extreme 3 gene, I7 950 with Noctua D14, MSI gtx 460 hawk, G skill 1600 8gb, 1.5 giga samsung HD.

Track IR 5, Hall sensed Cougar, Hall sensed TM RCS TM Warthog(2283), TM MFD, Saitek pro combat rudder, Cougar MFD.

kobac The fact that there is a Game Commander software and it works regardless of pronunciation. You yourself utter the sentence in which it would take some action, but the fact that its development has long ceased ....

So I thought that would help me VAC. Can I make Voice Activated Kommands respond exactly to my voice, my pronunciation?

Yes you can, i tried VAC, and i remember the bases a the very GC2 bases.

I think the leap is probably the voice recognition software.

Another thing i found is the fact that GC2 is more intuitive in its programing than VAC.

But in both setting a game with big "repertoire" of sentence will be PITA anyway).

You need pacience, lots of pacience.

Having a set from someone will cut some work, but you better (must) train each order to your voice.

HaF 922, Asus rampage extreme 3 gene, I7 950 with Noctua D14, MSI gtx 460 hawk, G skill 1600 8gb, 1.5 giga samsung HD.

Track IR 5, Hall sensed Cougar, Hall sensed TM RCS TM Warthog(2283), TM MFD, Saitek pro combat rudder, Cougar MFD.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...

The menus have changed a lot in the last four years. I've updated the VAC .xml and spreadsheet to reflect the changes. I've also eliminated the need to "Wingman One" (pause) "Engage Target" (pause) "Data Link Target" (pause) "Multiple Targets". Now you can simply say "Wingman One Engage Data Link Multiple Targets". All voice command strings have been consolidated into flight or wingman specific strings with up to five commands taking place from a single sentence.

attachment.php?attachmentid=104187&d=1416167228

BlackSharkVACcommands.thumb.png.3cfcfb15544f50aadf9b7b69b3759a2a.png

Edited by StrongHarm
  • Like 1

It's a good thing that this is Early Access and we've all volunteered to help test and enhance this work in progress... despite the frustrations inherent in the task with even the simplest of software... otherwise people might not understand that this incredibly complex unfinished module is unfinished. /light-hearted sarcasm

I bought voice attack a little while ago, it's only $8. I have VAC and pretty much only bought voice attack because lots of sim racers use it and I thought I may as well pay $8 just to get to use existing profiles.

It looks ok but I have not spent much time with it. Only thing that worried me about VAC is that it's $18 for two activations. I clarified with the author that if you use them both up, i.e. upgrade computers or enough components to change the hardware sig that you are up for another $18. I upgrade a lot but don't run it on multiple computers so that kind of licence is not the best for me.

Realized I left a couple of commands out, so I did another upload of the config and supporting docs. Chart and xls reflect changes.

The menus have changed a lot in the last four years. I've updated the VAC .xml and spreadsheet to reflect the changes. I've also eliminated the need to "Wingman One" (pause) "Engage Target" (pause) "Data Link Target" (pause) "Multiple Targets". Now you can simply say "Wingman One Engage Data Link Multiple Targets". All voice command strings have been consolidated into flight or wingman specific strings with up to five commands taking place from a single sentence.

Edited by StrongHarm

It's a good thing that this is Early Access and we've all volunteered to help test and enhance this work in progress... despite the frustrations inherent in the task with even the simplest of software... otherwise people might not understand that this incredibly complex unfinished module is unfinished. /light-hearted sarcasm

I bought voice attack a little while ago, it's only $8. I have VAC and pretty much only bought voice attack because lots of sim racers use it and I thought I may as well pay $8 just to get to use existing profiles.

It looks ok but I have not spent much time with it. Only thing that worried me about VAC is that it's $18 for two activations. I clarified with the author that if you use them both up, i.e. upgrade computers or enough components to change the hardware sig that you are up for another $18. I upgrade a lot but don't run it on multiple computers so that kind of licence is not the best for me.

Strange. It has three activations for me and the author has always said he'll top them up if I use them all (and he has done once already, as I multi-boot so did use them up quite easily).

I do find I have to train Microsoft Speech Recognition quite a lot to make it work though and even after doing four rounds of the training, it still managed to put my landing gear up when I was on the runway and said "Flaps to Landing", putting an end to that flight :doh:

Obviously decided I'd said "Landing Gear" even though I never said "Gear". I've changed the flaps command to only "Flaps to Takeoff" now (before I had this and "Flaps to Landing" as an alternative) which should hopefully prevent that happening again.

I've got my headset mic, which is quite a good quality module I DIY'd into a cheap boom and that seems to work best at around +20db and 70-80 level, although annoyingly Windows thinks it knows better and keeps changing it to 100, where it doesn't work at all and triggers commands when I'm not even talking. I also have a PS3 Eye webcam with built-in mic, which isn't great as the driver doesn't allow for adjusting the level but that seems to be accurate with VAC than my headset mic, when it hears me at least.

Some alternatives to VAC have an accuracy slider now, so that might help to make it more reliable.

Livrot is free (unless you want to record macros and then it's only 3 Euros) but the interface is a bit cluttered and confusing. It's meant to be able to import VAC files but that doesn't seem to work at the moment and only imports the first key in multiple key sequences but the author's looking at that.

http://livrot.com/

Keyspeech is $9.99 but might be easier to use. I don't know if that can import VAC files though http://www.keyspeech.net/home.aspx

Main rig: i5-4670k @4.4Ghz, Asus Z97-A, Scythe Kotetsu HSF, 32GB Kingston Savage 2400Mhz DDR3, 1070ti, Win 10 x64, Samsung Evo 256GB SSD (OS & Data), OCZ 480GB SSD (Games), WD 2TB and WD 3TB HDDs, 1920x1200 Dell U2412M, 1920x1080 Dell P2314T touchscreen

Yes, it's best to create commands that sound distinctly different. VAC takes the Microsoft Voice signature and tries to match it with a programmed command. If you have two short voice commands that sound similar and they're being confused with one another, simply lengthen the command by one word.

I use VAC with my pipe in my teeth.. and still it never gets a command wrong and I never have to say it twice. The great thing about VAC is that the audience can be novice users, power users, or developers. As a developer I find the interface to be very forgiving. I can copy a command, type a one word difference, change a single key, and keep growing it from there from the interface. Alternatively I can use the XML interface from Notepad++. You'll notice I have hundreds of commands spanning each wingman.. they were created very quickly with the VAC programming interface. I can't imagine it being any easier or working any better.

This guy really supports his product, too. On the rare occasion I've had a question, he's personally replied within hours. Support an individual developer and spend the measly $18 for what is an independent innovative product that works very well.

Strange. It has three activations for me and the author has always said he'll top them up if I use them all (and he has done once already, as I multi-boot so did use them up quite easily).

I do find I have to train Microsoft Speech Recognition quite a lot to make it work though and even after doing four rounds of the training, it still managed to put my landing gear up when I was on the runway and said "Flaps to Landing", putting an end to that flight :doh:

Obviously decided I'd said "Landing Gear" even though I never said "Gear". I've changed the flaps command to only "Flaps to Takeoff" now (before I had this and "Flaps to Landing" as an alternative) which should hopefully prevent that happening again.

I've got my headset mic, which is quite a good quality module I DIY'd into a cheap boom and that seems to work best at around +20db and 70-80 level, although annoyingly Windows thinks it knows better and keeps changing it to 100, where it doesn't work at all and triggers commands when I'm not even talking. I also have a PS3 Eye webcam with built-in mic, which isn't great as the driver doesn't allow for adjusting the level but that seems to be accurate with VAC than my headset mic, when it hears me at least.

Some alternatives to VAC have an accuracy slider now, so that might help to make it more reliable.

Livrot is free (unless you want to record macros and then it's only 3 Euros) but the interface is a bit cluttered and confusing. It's meant to be able to import VAC files but that doesn't seem to work at the moment and only imports the first key in multiple key sequences but the author's looking at that.

http://livrot.com/

Keyspeech is $9.99 but might be easier to use. I don't know if that can import VAC files though http://www.keyspeech.net/home.aspx

Yes, it's best to create commands that sound distinctly different. VAC takes the Microsoft Voice signature and tries to match it with a programmed command. If you have two short voice commands that sound similar and they're being confused with one another, simply lengthen the command by one word.

I use VAC with my pipe in my teeth.. and still it never gets a command wrong and I never have to say it twice. The great thing about VAC is that the audience can be novice users, power users, or developers. As a developer I find the interface to be very forgiving. I can copy a command, type a one word difference, change a single key, and keep growing it from there from the interface. Alternatively I can use the XML interface from Notepad++. You'll notice I have hundreds of commands spanning each wingman.. they were created very quickly with the VAC programming interface. I can't imagine it being any easier or working any better.

This guy really supports his product, too. On the rare occasion I've had a question, he's personally replied within hours. Support an individual developer and spend the measly $18 for what is an independent innovative product that works very well.

Yeah, I really like the interface as well. Being able to categorise commands and sort them by category really helps keep the list tidy. It's also nice being able to edit the files in Notepad++ as well and makes it easy to do Search and Replace and copy and paste commands from one profile to another.

I would prefer if the key entry just let you press the required keys (as I've seen with some other programs, like Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Center) rather than having to select Alt from one dropdown, Ctrl from another and then typing in a character in a third box, as that's a bit fiddly.

I hope he comes up with a new version sometime soon and makes this change and adds an accuracy slider, as those are the main things I think it needs. I know he's planning to release a new version but not sure how far he's got with it. Maybe if some more people support him and buy the current version it will help spur him on ;)

What boost/volume settings do you have on your mic input? I find it can be tricky to find a setting that works well for TS and VAC at the same time, although +20db boost and 70-80 volume seems to work reasonably well for both. That's why I tried using my PS3 Eye mic, so that I could set my headset mic up for TS and not have to worry about VAC but without a volume setting for the PS3 Eye, it sometime struggles to pick up my voice. It does seem to be more reliable and less error-prone than my headset mic when it does though, so a webcam mic might be ideal for VAC if it has a working volume slider but of course just because the PS3 Eye mic seems to be good quality and works well, that doesn't mean other webcam mics will be equally good.

Main rig: i5-4670k @4.4Ghz, Asus Z97-A, Scythe Kotetsu HSF, 32GB Kingston Savage 2400Mhz DDR3, 1070ti, Win 10 x64, Samsung Evo 256GB SSD (OS & Data), OCZ 480GB SSD (Games), WD 2TB and WD 3TB HDDs, 1920x1200 Dell U2412M, 1920x1080 Dell P2314T touchscreen

In VAC, click on the header above the popdown. There's a nice full featured extended keyboard to choose your key.

I use half boost, half volume, and it works very well. Mic placement is very important where speech recognition is concerned.

I use the Razor Blackshark headphones, which are awesome. They're a metal construction replica of real helo cans. They're the first headphones I've ever used where I actually had to turn the bass down .. and I have several sets of premium headphones. The mic is of nearly professional quality. I also have the sound simultaneously coming from a digital receiver on an optical link. The bass speaker is between my pedals and the wall to provide extra sound and 'rumble immersion'.

I would prefer if the key entry just let you press the required keys (as I've seen with some other programs, like Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Center) rather than having to select Alt from one dropdown, Ctrl from another and then typing in a character in a third box, as that's a bit fiddly.

What boost/volume settings do you have on your mic input? I find it can be tricky to find a setting that works well for TS and VAC at the same time, although +20db boost...

Edited by StrongHarm

In VAC, click on the header above the popdown. There's a nice full featured extended keyboard to choose your key.

That's still fiddly and tedious having to select each key in turn and not much better than using the dropdown. All it needs is a "Click Here" box and after clicking on it, it lets you hold down multiple keys (i.e. LCtrl+LAlt+Home) and then enters the keys that were held when you release them all.

I use half boost, half volume, and it works very well. Mic placement is very important where speech recognition is concerned.

I use the Razor Blackshark headphones, which are awesome. They're a metal construction replica of real helo cans. They're the first headphones I've ever used where I actually had to turn the base down .. and I have several sets of premium headphones. The mic is of nearly professional quality. I also have the sound simultaneously coming from a digital receiver on an optical link. The bass speaker is between my pedals and the wall to provide extra sound and 'rumble immersion'.

Sounds cool.

I'm using this Panasonic Electret Condenser Mic capsule http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110573001571?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT, which I stuck in an adjustable boom arm that I ripped off a rubbish £3 headet and have attached to my Samson SR850 headphones with some velcro.

It's noticeably clearer than any other headset mics I've used, including my Creative Fatality headset but it's probably let down by the PC mic input, which is a bit hissy (as they always are in my experience). That's where USB headsets have the advantage I guess, as they have a built-in preamp and ADC and then just send digital data to the PC. Of course, that doesn't mean that the preamp will be any better than the soundcard and might be just as hissy but if done properly it offers the opportunity to provide a much cleaner sound.

• 2 months later...

NEW VERSION ATTACHED TO OP

Further refinement of the profile. Added a string of commands that clears the radio menu before each ATC command. There were contextual issues (F2 means something else if you're inbound landing FI) that this resolves. I made this a standalone command as well, just say 'Clear Coms' if you need to reset the radio menu. Also added Ground Crew commands and reformatted the reference and added PNG and XLS to the ZIP.

attachment.php?attachmentid=104187&d=1416167228

• 1 year later...

Attached a new file to OP. Added additional datalink commands for clearing targets more quickly. ZIP file includes new pics for kneeboard that can accessed in flight.

I haven't been using the DCS forums for a while because of people like Yurgun and Flagrum. I can't stomach the negative and argumentative direction these boards have taken. I do however, want to keep my community files and documentation updated in case anyone needs them. If you have questions and I don't answer, hopefully someone else will be able to.